BELLY FAT!! HELP!!!

Options
Hello there!

I am needing a little exercise advice... I am noticing inches dropping, very, very slowly, but am not losing a single inch in my belly. I have lost inches in my chest and arms more than anywhere. NEED TO LOSE SOME BELLY FAT!! Any good exercise suggestions. I am doing cardio daily for 30-45 minutes a day, using Tae Bo, running, sometimes the 30DS. Also doing crunches, situps, and stregnth with weights. Nothing seems to be working. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    you cannot spot reduce, your body chooses where the fat comes from. That being said weight loss is 80% diet, so as long as you are in a caloric deficit losing weight you will eventually lose the belly.
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    BELLY FAT IS THE LAST THING TO GO... RELAX AND ENJOY THE RIDE
  • cwojo
    cwojo Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it can be the food intake. Less carbs.
  • antimike
    antimike Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Generally they say that proportionally you loose weight from everywhere.

It will just take some time. You probably have an awesome six pack under that belly fat that you want to get rid of.

Just keep doing what you're doing and it'll come with time!

This probably isn't what you wanted to hear but just keep at it you're doing great!
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Agree with Erickirb. Abs are made in the kitchen...which means your diet will be the biggest factor in your midsection.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

The type of food little to do with it, it is all about the deficit you could eat 90% carbs and lose as much weight as if you ate 40%, as long as you keep the same caloric deficit.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Sometimes belly fat is a sign of stress and lack of sleep. Cortisone levels and other science like that, I am sure someone will elaborate or you can Google it.
    Try getting 8hrs of sleep and yoga
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I have this exact same problem, only in my butt and thighs. My stomach is getting a LOT slimmer, but my butt and thighs are still waaaay to big. My weight ALWAYS comes off in my stomach first, and then my butt and thighs. I'm trying to just be patient. It will eventually shrink as long as I keep eating right and exercising.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Check out Dr. Oz online ... he did a show monday on belly fat with some great suggestions.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options

If you could blame belly fat on carbs, then nearly every Asian and Eastern European country would have a society of bulging bellies, as carbs are the center of their diets. Carbs have nothing to do with it. It's about balance in your diet. Eat whole, unprocessed foods in proper portions. Move your body - exercise. Belly fat is the root of all evil for many people, but it will come off...you just have to keep going.
  • surfinbernard
    Options
    The instantly absorbed carbs do go on your belly if they are not used immediately as that's the 'quick dump' for spare energy and a glut of glucose is likely to be stored there if you are not working out straight away and using it all. I agree with the others though, if you are losing weight keep going and it's the actual calorie deficit which will matter most in the end because even if spare energy is dumped on your belly just after digesting it, it can be accessed just as readily when your calorie deficit demands the use of stored fat, possibly later on or the next day.

You can't spot reduce with exercise because toning muscle won't reduce the layer of fat, but you can get your muscles to hold you in a better posture to reduce the appearance of a squishy bit, but bear in mind that even if your belly is the last fat store to go it will go. Persevere! Good luck.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    you cannot spot reduce, your body chooses where the fat comes from. That being said weight loss is 80% diet, so as long as you are in a caloric deficit losing weight you will eventually lose the belly.

I agree with this. However, you can do some different exercises to help your core. stop doing sit-ups and crunches. they aren't natural for your body, you risk injury, and they just plain aren't all that effective. start doing planks, side planks, ball roll-outs, pikes on stability ball.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    diet is 95% of the equation, like everyone already said you can't spot reduce.

Also abs are a muscle so train them like your other muscles, don't train them every single day
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

The type of food little to do with it, it is all about the deficit you could eat 90% carbs and lose as much weight as if you ate 40%, as long as you keep the same caloric deficit.

I always like your responses on the boards--always brief, factual, and to the point. Solid advice, yo.
  • StarlaDesiree
    StarlaDesiree Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Pretty much agree. But if you're eating carbs, make sure they're good, complex carbs, not white bread and sugar carbs.

Also, try doing more planks. They don't really "drop the fat" but I've found they are very effective in tightening all those core muscles and helping slim the midsection. That may help you see some measurement drops.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options

I agree with this. However, you can do some different exercises to help your core. stop doing sit-ups and crunches. they aren't natural for your body, you risk injury, and they just plain aren't all that effective. start doing planks, side planks, ball roll-outs, pikes on stability ball.
    Disagree. They are effective if done correctly. People can invariably do planks and the others you mentioned wrong and be less effective as well. If exercises are done correctly and form is spot on, they will help in strengthening the abs.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Unforantly it's what you eat that gives you abs.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Yeah. No such thing as spot training. I still have belly fat. It's slowly, but surely leaving. I work out my abs every day. Whether its planks, crunches, side leans, ect. Someone once told me that if I wanted to get a smaller stomach, that I shouldn't do core exercises. I scoff at them now. I just don't eat as many fatty foods anymore. All in moderation; with me at least :)
  • LadyG33
    Options
    They say its Diet, Exercise and just plain old time....