Water Question

Options
Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction for water intake for obese people?

I am 287 pound female - I currently drink 8-11 cups of water a day, but when I look into it calculators are telling me it should be between 20-24 cups a day, but that seems excessive.

I tend to get caught up in little details - is the best way to go just off the colour of your urine?

Anyways...thank you for anyone who bothers to respond!

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,277 Member
    Options
    Optimal water intake is so variable, depending on the weather, your activity level etc. that calculators are pretty useless.
    Just going off the color of your urine is fine :smile:
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big water drinker ... I only drink a half a glass at night to take my meds before bed. My liquid intake is from coffee in the morning and unsweetened tea throughout the day .... my pee is a very light color/clear most days *shrugs*
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction for water intake for obese people?

I am 287 pound female - I currently drink 8-11 cups of water a day, but when I look into it calculators are telling me it should be between 20-24 cups a day, but that seems excessive.

I tend to get caught up in little details - is the best way to go just off the colour of your urine?

Anyways...thank you for anyone who bothers to respond!

The color of your urine will indicate whether or not your are hydrated, dehydrated, or overhydrated. There is no universally optimal amount of fluids to drink, it's highly variable. For example, I live at over a mile high in elevation in the desert and I exercise outside a lot and sweat a lot. I need more fluids to stay hydrated than someone living at sea level in a temperate climate who is more or less sedentary.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could drink a gallon and a half of water per day if I tried to. Maybe if I just had it in a tank strapped to my back and a straw dripping into my mouth.

+1 listen to your body, drink when you're thirsty, keep your pee straw-colored.
  • RozzintheNorth
    RozzintheNorth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your time and thoughts, I really appreciate it.
  • caseylizbeth
    caseylizbeth Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    All fluids help contribute to your daily water goals, including water found in foods. That being said, my goal is around a gallon of water per day, or around 130 ounces. I feel my best when I'm well hydrated, and it really doesn't seem like that much water when it's spread out over the day. I have a HUGE cup that holds 30 ounces of water, and I refill it 4-5 times per day.