Weight Loss = Preggers

Options
We've wanted a baby for many years. We had one failed pregnancy about 2 1/2 years ago, and then started a rigorous routine of fertility drugs, shots, and invasive procedures. Still no baby.

Until now. Apparently what they say about weight loss allowing your body to get pregant is true. Admittedly, I was insulted when the doctor told me to lose weight. I am 5' 10" and was about 200 lbs. Not obese, just overweight. But, I wanted to get healthy for other reasons (when we realized we wouldn't have children, I figured I better find a hobby - I found running). I've lost 25 lbs and found out three weeks ago that we're pregnant!!!!!

Now, I struggle (very little) with the idea of putting the 25 lbs back on, but with all our hard work and dedication I know exactly what I can and can't have and will maintain a healthy/balanced diet while ensuring that baby gets the additional (mere 300) calories they need.

I may have to watch my weight go back up over the next 9 months, but I can do it in a way that will allow the pounds to quickly roll off afterwards and will offer me the healthy, happy family I've always dreamed of! (Plus, I'll always know that "I did it before", and "can do it again"!)

Replies

• becca92562
    becca92562 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Congrats :-)
  • linzmarie316
    Options
    Congratulations!! :)
  • blondski
    blondski Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    congrats!!
  • adamswife23
    adamswife23 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! You will be just fine. I always gained a lot of weight with my pregnancies, but with hard work and dedication it has always come off. Just think of the beautiful little baby you will have in the next 9 months. :) Now after the baby you won't have just you to be healthy for, but your child. you will want to set a good example for them as well. Congratulations again.
  • lenny1976
    lenny1976 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Wonderful news:flowerforyou:
  • LisaO2008
    Options
    Congrats! How exciteing for you! Remember exersise is good when you are preggo! :happy:
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    OMG Congrats.. such a blessing. enjoy
  • martina123321
    Options
    A BIG CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU BOTH!!! hope you have a lovely pregnancy.

I loved being pregnant, its an awesome feeling. Enjoy it. xxx
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That is wonderful news. Best of luck to you and your family.
    Remember... the most important thing is a healthy baby... any weight you gain.. you have proven you can lose!
  • JaneWrastle
    Options
    I think it is great that you are sharing your story! There are probably a lot of couples that don't realize that weight may be part of the problem that is preventing them from either getting pregnant or having a safer pregnancy. I think it's wonderful that your endeavors in good health have brought you good fortunte....after all, your body becomes a vessel for new life and the healthier the vessel, the healthier the possibilities for your baby! Congrats!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you both! I hope your pregnancy is everything you're hoping it will be and that you don't suffer from morning sickness.

I put on a little less than 30 pounds with my son (with my doctor nagging me the whole time I wasn't eating enough but, of course, things have now changed and they don't want you to gain as much weight as they did 20+ years ago) while eating healthy. I dropped that weight quickly afterward by continuing to eat right and jumping right back into an exercise routine. You have nothing to worry about!
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's awesome for you! What a big reward for your hard work!

You have a great attitude about the weight gain and You're right about the baby only needing 300 calories and even that doesn't kick in until the 2nd trimester! For the first trimester you're safe eating at maintenance calories, then you add the 300-400 for the second trimester and then 450-500 for the last trimester. That's what my dr recommended for me and that's NOT what I did--it took a long time to work off the 45 lbs I gained while pregnant!
  • eggmcg
    Options
    Mega congratulations!
  • woodys1
    woodys1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congratulations

My wife fell pregnant after loosing few pounds after couple years trying, we had trouble again so we both lost few pounds second time round it worked again.
    Second baby due 1st Jan 12
  • hohagan
    Options
    Thank you all for the lovely sentiments! I had never posted anything before today, and now I think I'll feel compelled to reach out to you all again - what AMAZING support!!!

Thank you!