WHY WE EAT (too much)

Options
Hi there,

My first post here & first question: have any of you read this book (see the title)? I found it massively helpful, full of knowledge & amazing advice. Highly recommended!

Replies

• LunaTheFatCat
    LunaTheFatCat Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Sounds really interested, thanks for the tip!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    asz8777 wrote: »
    Hi there,

My first post here & first question: have any of you read this book (see the title)? I found it massively helpful, full of knowledge & amazing advice. Highly recommended!

Interesting book, I would also suggest "the hungry brain" by Stephan Guyenet and "an end to overeating" by Dr. Kessler.
  • asz8777
    asz8777 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Interesting book, I would also suggest "the hungry brain" by Stephan Guyenet and "an end to overeating" by Dr. Kessler.

• fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend The Dorito Effect. It was SO good and has changed my view on some foods and what I eat. (I still eat Doritos sometimes 🤷🏻‍♀️). It’s also really easy to read and quite humours.

5qatnu1fq2sv.jpeg
  • asz8777
    Options
    fstrickl wrote: »
    I would highly recommend The Dorito Effect. It was SO good and has changed my view on some foods and what I eat. (I still eat Doritos sometimes 🤷🏻‍♀️). It’s also really easy to read and quite humours.

5qatnu1fq2sv.jpeg

I've just watched an interview with the author - amazing!
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    @asz8777 oh interesting! What was the called or where can I find it? I’d be interested in listening!
  • asz8777
    Options
    @asz8777 oh interesting! What was the called or where can I find it? I’d be interested in listening!

I've watched this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ITaIedaFhs
  • asz8777
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    I'm speaking only in general here. While the why, why, whys are good, we can have the answers to absolutely everything and still not be able to do anything. I had a library of dieting books with corresponding cookbooks. I threw everyone of them out. I went on a Dieting Book Cleanse

I was a card carrying member of the WW and I blew that popstand, too. I joined MFP and have gleaned more from the members than from all of those books. Connection is everything. Of course, I still care about the whys but action means more than anything else to me. What we allow is what will continue.

Pain is the precursor to change. Make lasting changes for the rest of your life.

Completely agree @Diatonic12 Fortunately book I've mentioned is not a diet book :wink:
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Alrighty then but I didn't just fall off the sweet potato truck. I kinda surmised at post 1 that you were here to promote this book.

"For over two decades, weight loss surgeon Dr Andrew Jenkinson has treated thousands of people who have become trapped in the endless cycle of dieting. Why We Eat (Too Much), combines case studies from his practice and the new science of metabolism to illuminate how our appetite really works."
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    You see, I already know how the appetite control center which is located in the brain works. It's not located in the stomach and removing most of a stomach won't fix it. It's not the stomach that needs removing or fixing but the brain. Now we can't remove those parts of the brain that cause all of the havoc or we'll end UP in a much bigger mess. WLS doesn't really fix any of this.
  • asz8777
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    Alrighty then but I didn't just fall off the sweet potato truck. I kinda surmised at post 1 that you were here to promote this book.

"For over two decades, weight loss surgeon Dr Andrew Jenkinson has treated thousands of people who have become trapped in the endless cycle of dieting. Why We Eat (Too Much), combines case studies from his practice and the new science of metabolism to illuminate how our appetite really works."

I didn’t write this post to ‘promote’ the book. I wrote it hoping I’ll have a constructive conversation with people who read it.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    @asz8777, thanks for the recommendation. 😃
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options

Completely agree @Diatonic12 Fortunately book I've mentioned is not a diet book :wink:

Ditto! Dorito Effect is not a diet book in the “diet as a way to lose weight” sense. 🙂 It’s really a look at the food industry, the workforce and economy, and the effects on the consumer.

Sounds interesting and no doubt a bit of an eye opener :)

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    Options
    There is a lengthy (longest I’ve ever seen!) description of the book on Amazon that goes into extensive detail. That alone was worth the read.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I've just finished reading this book - it's extremely interesting, and I am definitely going to have a little go at slightly changing what I eat (I am planning a little reverse dieting as I want to eat a bit more). The main problem I have personally is that a diet heavy in animal products is very environmentally destructive.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I read it and found it very interesting. Toyed with the idea of implementing some of the ideas but to be honest I'm happy with my current diet, health, weight and recomp programme, so it was not worth the bother.