Flax Seed Weight Gain??

Options
Has anyone heard of gaining weight from grounded flax seeds?

Ive gained 4 lbs in 2 days, and my diet and excercise have been the same. I started using it first time two days ago. Grounded and put in protein shake. I think I ate too much, maybe 4 table spoons.

Do you retain water?
Constipation?
I have crazy gas from the seeds, does the gas add weight?

Mind boggling to me, I can't find anything online.

Replies

• marquesajen
    Options
    Hm, I use ground flax in my smoothies and yogurt and haven't had that problem. However, if you're getting that much fiber and not enough water or fats then you might be blocking up.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    When I use it I just sprinkle it. If I eat too much it gives me gas, too.

I do know that there is naturally occurring arsenic. But I don't know how much is too much. I find too much fiber has the opposite effect on my gut (bread and grains stop my GI in its track - especially bread).
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    i put it in my oatmeal.. but you due seem to drink more water do to you will get back up.. and that will cause gas..
  • MandaLee8908
    MandaLee8908 Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    Flax seed has fiber in it...which explains the gas. It will cause a little constipation until your body is used to the fiber...then it will clean you out! Make sure you drink LOTS of water! If not, your body will retain water. I usually limit myself to 1 or 2 tablespoons a day...maybe try cutting your "dose" in half...at least until you're more used to it :-)
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    you are supposed to have a maximum of 2 tablespoons a day.. but too much is supposed to give you diareeah hahah...
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've been using it for years, and I've never had a problem. I only use about 1-2 tablespoons though.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    4 tbsp is a lot! I only have 1 tbsp, that's all I can handle. It definitely can add temporary weight from constipation and bulk.
  • Leanne1795
    Options
    The thing with flaxseed is that you need to drink loads of water before and after taking it. If you don't it can block you up, cause gut problems and then, of course, you will gain weight. I put mine in a big glass of water and follow it up with another glass of water. A great start to the day. :)
  • degobah
    degobah Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The thing with flaxseed is that you need to drink loads of water before and after taking it. If you don't it can block you up, cause gut problems and then, of course, you will gain weight. I put mine in a big glass of water and follow it up with another glass of water. A great start to the day. :)

I guess that's what happened... so will the weight come off just like eating too much salt?
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    You should be sure you are using ground flax seeds because they don't have the benefits if not ground. If flaxseeds don't make your system happy, try Chia Seeds they are higher in protein, still have the same Omega's and don't need to be grounds.
  • MandaLee8908
    MandaLee8908 Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options

I guess that's what happened... so will the weight come off just like eating too much salt?

Yes...just cut down to 1 or 2 tablespoons a day and drink lots of water. You should see the weight come off in a few days :-)
  • driver512
    driver512 Posts: 1
    Options
    Non-baked flax seed contains cyanogenic glycosides which transforms into cyanide in your gut.
    one tablespoon has 5-10mg of cyanide, to prevent toxicity your body will convert some into thiocyanate, this is only true if your diet has sufficient amounts of sulfurs.
    thiocyanate inhibits uptake of iodine by the thyroid gland hence it causes hypothyroidism which slows down your metabolism and makes you gain weight regardless of your diet.
    7 tbsp is way too much, cyanide lethal dose begins at 50mg, you have several options and in all cases you must reduce flax seed intake :
    - increase your iodine intake, with 150mcg thiocyanate shouldn't cause much troubles
    - boost your thyroid with good saturated fat such as coconut oil or avocado
    - in all cases stop taking so much flax seed and make several breaks because thiocyanate has an half life of 3 days so it accumulates quite very fastly
  • Sieden76
    Sieden76 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I don't know about weight gain but I know that flax seeds can interfere with your hormones. I suggest that you switch to hemp seeds. They are good for you and they taste better.
  • apothecarist
    apothecarist Posts: 193
    Options
    1 ground flaxseeds=33 calories. So you're adding a little over 130cals. Just as long as you count those cals and are not going over, i doubt that would cause you to be gaining weight.