Running Question

Options
For all you runners out there, I have a question for you.

I've tried several different times to complete the Couch to 5k program, and I can only get through about Week 3 of the program.

I can get through the Week 1 and Week 2 run/walk cycles without too much problem.

By the time I get to the Week 3 run/walk cycle, I'm so incredibly nauseous by the end of my workout, it's all I can do to do a cool down walk.

If I complete a Week 4 run/walk cycle workout, I will vomit after I'm done.

I'm thinking of giving the program another try, but wanted to know if there's a way to prevent this? Oh, and when I've tried the program in the past, I worked out first thing in the morning, so food wasn't the issue.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be helpful! Thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I don't know about couch to 5k, but trained myself from never jogging at all to jogging 5-8k at a time.

When I have felt sick after running is when I run too fast. Try slowing down maybe? When I go out for my 8ks I jog very slowly. and if you need to walk for a block to catch your breath, just do it.
  • hooma
    hooma Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    How fast are you running? Maybe try slowing your pace down?
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Slow down your pace til it's JUST faster than a walk, and keep repeating the week until you are comfortable with it. You don't HAVE to keep going on weeks if you aren't ready.
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Slow down your pace. It much, much harder if you are running to fast.

I am about to start week 5 of the C25K program, and I know that I feel much better throughout the workout when I keep my pace at a comfortable level.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Have you tried drinking water during it? And also make sure it's a good warm up before hand as well.
  • miam4nia
    miam4nia Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    go at your own pace and repeat week 3 if you have to! when you can do it with a little more ease, move onto week four!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    My guess is your pushing too hard. Ease back a little and see how you do. Do you have a HRM? If so, it's an easy way to monitor your effort and keep things in check. If not, use your breathing as an indicator... you should be able to talk, but in short bursts of sentence fragments. Something like..

Hey *breathe* I forgot *breathe* how much I *breathe breathe* really *breathe* hate running *breathe*
  • marthagarcia
    Options
    I want to know why type of shoes should I buy for jogging.
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I was also going to suggest slowing down. When I first started the program I'd run almost as fast as I could. If you're only running for 1 -1.5 minutes, it's not a problem. I quickly learned that I had to pace myself.

I have just completed the program last night. I ran 35 minutes straight. At the beginning of the program I was very sceptical about running 10 minutes straight!!

Good luck! You can do it!:smile:
  • alsmullen
    Options
    Slowing down is a great idea. Once you build up your stamina, then you can work on speed. It may be more difficult, but maybe try to run on a treadmill. It's worse for your knees and joints, but the treadmill can set your pace. I'm getting back into running after running a marathon 8 years ago - and the steady pace of the treadmill has been great.

Good luck - and keep going!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    you might not be sufficiently hydrated. hydration begins the 24 hours before the run....and, besides, its important to drink lots of water anyway. try drinking 100 ounces a day...including some when you wake up before the run starts.... and see if that helps you with running.

another possible problem might be food if you don't eat anything before you run. if that's the case, try a protein shake before you run and see if that makes a difference.
  • H_Factor
    Options

running shoes with good support.
  • alsmullen
    Options
    Shoes - you definitely need to go to a running store and have them look at your feet and watch you run. Please don't just buy any pair from ****'s - you could end up hurting yourself. Definitely get a professional to help you.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Ones that fit. No one here can tell you what shoes to buy. If you're serious about running, go to a running store. They will look at your stride (both running and walking) and probably your feet too (arch, flexibility, etc) and match you with the right shoes. If that's too much, then at the very least go to a decent sporting goods store and try on every shoe you can, then pick the one that fits/supports you foot the best.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    another possible problem might be food if you don't eat anything before you run.
    Good point... the right food before you run is important too. I make my protein shakes with milk, so I'd never want one before a big workout. Half a PB&J is about perfect for me.
  • H_Factor
    Options
    another possible problem might be food if you don't eat anything before you run.
    Good point... the right food before you run is important too. I make my protein shakes with milk, so I'd never want one before a big workout. Half a PB&J is about perfect for me.

most of the time, I just mix protein powder with water and that works well for me. I agree that you wouldn't want to drink milk before a workout. other options include peanut butter and celery or a banana.
  • valeriedent2
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!! These are really helpful suggestions/ideas!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm with the slow down suggestion. You are only racing yourself, why go so fast. Speed comes after distance. It's more important to get the distance or time in and go slower to get there. Not sure how C25K works but sounds like you are really just pushing yourself too hard.

I sometimes grab a banana before an intense workout. Find something that works for you, it may be eating or not eating, it may be putting some electrolites in your water. Try running at a different time of day - Am vs PM or alternate. I've find I run better in the afternoons, but I still do all my training in the AM as that's better for my schedule.
  • Sassi50
    Sassi50 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    When I read your question, the first thing that popped into my head was, not enough water. As well, even if you are hydrating properly, don't go a chug a litre of water moments before you run...that will help to make you nauseous. Little sips before the run, but lots in general all through the day. Make sure that you have had something to eat, again, not right beofre you head out the door, but an hour or so beofre your run...a banana with peanut butter for example.
    Also, run slowly. If you can't talk (or sing along with your Ipod like I do) then you are going to hard. Stamina has to be built up. And do not hesitate to repeat a week over and over until you can do it with no problems....no one will judge you if you do W3 4 times.... and it all counts towards building up to the next week.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    The only time I have issues is when I have not had enough carbs prior to my run. After 1-2 miles I will get nauseous and then my ears start ringing and my vision starts to black out and I have to walk the rest of the way home so I don't collapse. I assume it is a lack of blood sugar for me; so eating proper an hour before a run makes a huge difference.

Also, if I know Im going to run 5-6 miles which will burn 1,000 calories or more, I will try to eat more the night before, or during breakfast, lunch, snacks ect so I don't have to eat 1,500 calories for dinner to bring my net back above 1,200.

BTW I am on week 5 of couch to 5k but from the beginning I pushed myself to run each session twice every other time I run. so twice a week I am theoretically doing a couch to 10 k :-)