Hey Everyone! Yes, I'm new :)

Options
I tracked with MFP on my phone for a while, and i stopped doing it before because i didnt think it was working for me..but i never gave it enough time i don't think..

May 2009 I made the stupidest decision i ever could, and i went on the depo provera shot. I only had 1 shot though..after that shot, i was supposed to go back aug/sept 2009..but dh and I decided we wanted to start trying to get pregnant. I was 170-180 before i went on the shot. After the shot..i started gaining, gaining and gaining. I could not lose any weight! i tried and nothing worked. I went to the doctor, and come to find out i have polycystic ovarian syndrome. Before the shot, i did not have that. My doctor believed the shot triggered that somehow..im not so sure. I tried losing weight the minute i started gaining and nothing. so here i am 2 years later and able to lose the weight. I went up to 249, and that is when i decided i was not at a healthy weight, and if i did not start to try to lose weight i would be dealing with many health issues.

I started weight watchers june 2011 and i've lost 10lbs so far. I don't feel like im losing as much as i should though..I think my scale is jinxed because 2weeks ago my scale said 236..and now im back at 239..its only a 3lb difference..but its a difference.

a fellow bg member suggest i join MFP and track calories versus points and see how that goes, so far im liking it b /c i can scan in almost anything and it tells me how much i can have and how many calories, not going by points.

if anyone has any advice, im open to hearing it :)

Replies

• Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Welcome...Feel free to add me as a friend. I'll do my best to encourage and motivate you.
  • SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Some things I have learned...
    1. In the first weeks of starting exercise program most folks gain weight because muscle weighs more than fat. SO don't just weigh yourself... MEASURE to see what your body is really doing.
    2. NEVER eat less than about 125O calories... OR try to loose too much too fast. Your body goes into starvation mode and retains fat.
    3. It took YEARS to put on the weight... eat HEALTHY (food pyramid) exercise regularly... and slowly it will come off.
    4. Also, SLOW weight loss is most likely to stay off long term.
    5. DON"T "diet"... just learn to eat properly and exercise regularly. Make your goal "good health."
    6. Eat back at least SOME of your exercise calories. This motivates me to exercise more!
    7. Don't deprive yourself. Learn to have just ONE bite of that cake. Total deprivation may lead to fast weight gain later.
    8. As you gained weight you probably had plateaus going up. Your body remembers these plateaus and will automatically plateau there again on the way down. Some refer to these as "set points." It may take some time and sometimes some adjustments to get past them.
    9. Mix it up. Vary your exercise from day to day and vary your menu. If you get bored you are less likely to be successful.
    10. Fill out your MyFitnessPal.com profile, particpate on the boards and add some friends who will encourage you (and maybe inspire you too) .... and HAVE FUN with it!!

11. Move More + Eat Less = Lower Weight

"It matters not if we try and fail, and try and fail again. But it matters much if we try and fail and fail to try again."
  • ayclobes
    Options
    Thanks for all the information, when i was growing up...i dont think i ever weighed myself as much as i do right now..so im not sure.

Some things I have learned...
    1. In the first weeks of starting exercise program most folks gain weight because muscle weighs more than fat. SO don't just weigh yourself... MEASURE to see what your body is really doing.
    2. NEVER eat less than about 125O calories... OR try to loose too much too fast. Your body goes into starvation mode and retains fat.
    3. It took YEARS to put on the weight... eat HEALTHY (food pyramid) exercise regularly... and slowly it will come off.
    4. Also, SLOW weight loss is most likely to stay off long term.
    5. DON"T "diet"... just learn to eat properly and exercise regularly. Make your goal "good health."
    6. Eat back at least SOME of your exercise calories. This motivates me to exercise more!
    7. Don't deprive yourself. Learn to have just ONE bite of that cake. Total deprivation may lead to fast weight gain later.
    8. As you gained weight you probably had plateaus going up. Your body remembers these plateaus and will automatically plateau there again on the way down. Some refer to these as "set points." It may take some time and sometimes some adjustments to get past them.
    9. Mix it up. Vary your exercise from day to day and vary your menu. If you get bored you are less likely to be successful.
    10. Fill out your MyFitnessPal.com profile, particpate on the boards and add some friends who will encourage you (and maybe inspire you too) .... and HAVE FUN with it!!

"It matters not if we try and fail, and try and fail again. But it matters much if we try and fail and fail to try again."
  • ayclobes
    Options
    Thank you!

Welcome...Feel free to add me as a friend. I'll do my best to encourage and motivate you.
  • mountiewife
    Options
    Welcome! Feel free to add me too!
  • JenelleLyne57
    Options
    Welcome..feel free to add me! Remember...don't starve. Eat at least 3 healthy meals and 2 snacks a day!!
  • missjessica83
    Options
    Hey im new too :) feel free to add me i'll help wherever i can!

x
  • crocakahe
    crocakahe Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have tried to loose about 5 lbs over the past year, and have actually gained some while trying to loose... weight watchers, slim fast and now calories. I must have the slowest metablism of any 52 year old, being only 5'2" doesn't help either!! I jog about 2-3 times a week, when i am not jogging, i walk. Any words of wisdom out there!????
  • lulukan
    lulukan Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Anyone who wants to add me as a friend, please feel free. Nice to see all of your stories and progress!

11156414.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter