15lbs from goal and not moving....question?

Options
I just read a thread that said the closer you get to your goal weight (the smaller you are) you don't burn as many calories as you did when you were heavier. Does that mean when you get close to your goal you should be working out longer and harder to reach your goal? I'm doing 30DS with some jogging for about 40 min, 4 to 5 days a week. Is this not burning enough calories for me because I almost at my goal? Should I be working out for an hour instead to increase the calories I burn? Help! I've been on a plateau for a few months and can't figure out what's wrong.

Replies

• BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    bump
  • BryanBootka
    BryanBootka Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Check out your macronutrient ratios (protein/carb/fat). The Zone or 40/30/30 is the best ratio to reduce body fat and maintain muscle mass. If you are not eating this way now and adjust to it, even at the same calorie count you are currently at, you'll lose body fat without having to do more cardio.

40% of calories from carbohydrate, 30% of calories from protein, and 30% of calories from healthy fats.

Take care,
    Bryan
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    no, you don't have to workout longer or harder as the closer you get to your goal the smaller your caloric deficit should be anyway. with only 15 lbs to go your should set your goal at 0.5lb weekly loss and make sure you eat at least most of the cals you burn from exercise.

Having too large of a deficit when your fat stores are no longer large you may experience a large decrease in lean muscle mass instead of losing most fat. The best way to avoid losing muscle as you lose weight is to eat plenty of protein, incorporate strength training (the heavier the weight the better), and to make sure your deficit is not too large.
  • mcmavis
    Options
    Try strength training. Mixing up your routine will help you get over the plateau. I agree with .5 lbs a week. It may seem slow but you'll still be losing and you'll be at your goal within about 6 months.

We all want to be down where you are, so don't compare your rate to the rate of loss you had at the beginning or to those that have a lot more weight to lose.
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have to say I do disagree a bit with some of the posts. In order to get out of a plateau you do need to change things up. That could mean trying a new workout, upping the intensity of your old workout or adjusting your calories.

I don't think it is because you are close to your goal as much as that you have been doing the same thing for awhile and your body is used to it and has adapted. Try some strength training, or intervals during your run. or find a different DVD to workout too.. anything that will use different muscle groups and shock your body out of the plateau.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I have to say I do disagree a bit with some of the posts. In order to get out of a plateau you do need to change things up. That could mean trying a new workout, upping the intensity of your old workout or adjusting your calories.

I don't think it is because you are close to your goal as much as that you have been doing the same thing for awhile and your body is used to it and has adapted. Try some strength training, or intervals during your run. or find a different DVD to workout too.. anything that will use different muscle groups and shock your body out of the plateau.
    I'm no expert but I'd have to say I agree with this.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    The closer to your goal weight, it will certainly be harder to burn fat calories; it's not as available as it was when you were starting out.

I'm definitely not an expert, but it sounds as if your body is doing exactly what its designed to do. It's adapted to the stimulus you've created for it. This could mean that your caloric deficit needs to increase ( by taking in less, burning more or both) or that your activities need to change so that your body is less efficient at doing those activities. You could work in a different type of cardio to compliment your jogging, for example.

So to answer your question, as far as your body is concerned, I would guess that it thinks that everything is just fine and nothing is wrong. You're maintaining very well and all is right with the world. You just need to give a reason to think it should burn more fat (I assume you're not trying to lose muscle).

That probably didn't help much, but I feel your pain. So yes, if what you're doing isn't working, add it to it or change it somehow.
  • bltmgray
    bltmgray Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help! I'm thinking I need to incorporate some strength training into my workouts again. I had been doing it with my husband and our schedules got all crazy so we stopped. I think I'm going to get him to help me again and see if that gets me moving again. I've already increased my calories twice and have changed up my workouts also. So maybe adding strength training a few days a week again will help. Thank you again for all your comments!