I don't know who needs to hear this but.....

Options
I just discovered the BEST workout ever! Something I don't loathe doing, and burn a lot of calories in a relatively short amount of time!

Judging by how many people I've seen at the gym walking on incline, I'm probably late to the game on this. But if I just found this out then I'm sure there may be others in the same boat.

The secret is....to set the incline to it's highest level and walk!

Why this cardio activity is great?

I've always hated running, even when I was running 7 miles at least twice a week, I would always eventually stop working out because I hated so much. It just never seemed to get easier...granted because I kept pushing myself.

But usually I ran 2 miles in 23 minutes and did not burn half of the calories that I am now walking on an incline, mainly because walking on an incline is tolerable for me, so I have no problem walking 50mins to an hour. Usually at a speed of 3.5. By the end of my workout, I generally will have walked about 3. Something miles.

Doing this I've been able to shave off 300 - 800 calories in a single workout, which paired with my diet has allowed me to see my love handles get smaller and my jeans fit looser within 3 weeks.

The biggest thing I learned losing 25 lbs the first go round and working out is that finding workouts that work for you and don't leave you dreading going to the gym will aid you greatly in your weight loss journey.

The first time around I did this by watching my heart rate and keeping it with a range that did make running feel like death.

But I'm loving the walking on an incline soooo much better because of how quickly it feels I can burn calories. Faster than I did when I started running again, but not only that, hiw many calories I'm able to burn now without causing myself to have nightmares about going to the gym.

It has also allowed me to eat more and still stay under 1000 calories a day!

Replies

• ELdeve
    ELdeve Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm case anyone is would like to know, I put the treadmill on the hill setting so that I do get some breaks.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    Yeah, definitely eat more - a lot more. Research VLCD diets.

As far as the incline, knees will be taking a bigger hit so be aware of any twinges of pain and Rest if that happens.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you are not holding on to thebtreadmill
  • ELdeve
    Options
    ELdeve wrote: »
    I just discovered the BEST workout ever! Something I don't loathe doing, and burn a lot of calories in a relatively short amount of time!

Judging by how many people I've seen at the gym walking on incline, I'm probably late to the game on this. But if I just found this out then I'm sure there may be others in the same boat.

I've always hated running, even when I was running 7 miles at least twice a week, I would always eventually stop working out because I hated so much. It just never seemed to get easier...granted because I kept pushing myself.

But usually I ran 2 miles in 23 minutes and did not burn half of the calories that I am now walking on an incline, mainly because walking on an incline is tolerable for me, so I have no problem walking 50mins to an hour. Usually at a speed of 3.5. By the end of my workout, I generally will have walked about 3. Something miles.

Doing this I've been able to shave off 300 - 800 calories in a single workout, which paired with my diet has allowed me to see my love handles get smaller and my jeans fit looser within 3 weeks.

The biggest thing I learned losing 25 lbs the first go round and working out is that finding workouts that work for you and don't leave you dreading going to the gym will aid you greatly in your weight loss journey.

The first time around I did this by watching my heart rate and keeping it with a range that did make running feel like death.

But I'm loving the walking on an incline soooo much better because of how quickly it feels I can burn calories. Faster than I did when I started running again, but not only that, hiw many calories I'm able to burn now without causing myself to have nightmares about going to the gym.

Under 1000 cals a day is dangerous to your health. The minimum is 1200 for women and 1500 for men (after exercise). I'd urge you to take another look at your food intake. Losing weight faster is not always better.

I meant I earn calories back, I eat more than 1000 calories a day.
  • ELdeve
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I've NEVER seen anyone put a treadmill on highest incline and NOT hold on walking over 3 miles an hour. People that think that they are burning tons of calories doing this aren't being honest with themselves because holding on reduces up to 40% of actual resistance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I've already lost 5lbs sooo does it matter?
  • ELdeve
    Options
    I've NEVER seen anyone put a treadmill on highest incline and NOT hold on walking over 3 miles an hour. People that think that they are burning tons of calories doing this aren't being honest with themselves because holding on reduces up to 40% of actual resistance.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

In 3 weeks.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It matters that claims of high calorie burns are unlikely to be true if you are hanging on the handrails.
    Look at the first line of your OP, that claim falls apart when the numbers are highly inflated, which they will be.

The treadmill doesn't know if you are actually walking the incline or hanging on, it can't measure your energy it can only estimate and part of that estimation is how you are using the machine. The number you see on a screen isn't an absolute truth, you could stand NEXT to the treadmill and it would still record high calorie burns.

Your comparison to running estimates is undermined by the inaccuracy, it's a truism that feeling easy and high calorie burns don't go together unless someone is an elite athlete. 800 calories in 50 minutes would be an impressive level of fitness.

Well done on the weight loss though and if you enjoy your exercise then great.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options

Under 1000 cals a day is dangerous to your health. The minimum is 1200 for women and 1500 for men (after exercise). I'd urge you to take another look at your food intake. Losing weight faster is not always better.

Well, take a look at your OP and especially the last sentence. It was very clear that you are eating less than 1000 cals a day--way too little, IF you are logging accurately. There are many people that read, but never post. That's why we want to be clear here. I'm sure you wouldn't want them to get the wrong idea about how to be successful.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

Do you mean that you *net* 1000 calories a day, such as eat 2000 calories, do 1000 calories of exercise? If so, still not a great idea.

However, it matters whether you've been doing it for at least a full month, haven't lost 2 pounds a week, and in fact haven't lost more than 0.5-1% of current body weight per week on average (with a bias toward the low end, especially if you have relatively little weight to lose, like less than 25-50 pounds; or if you have other meaningful physical psychological stresses in your life, such as an intense new exercise routine (😉), or job/home-life stresses, poor sleep, sub-par nutrition, etc.). Loss rate over multi-week time periods is the best guide to actual size of deficit.

Deviations from estimated loss rates can be from
    * extra-too-big calorie deficits (which can cause fatigue, limit spontaneous movement (possibly subtly), slow down things like hair growth (thinning several weeks/months out would be an indicator), slightly reduced body temperature (feeling cold would be a hint), or stress-related water retention;
    * Overestimating exercise calorie impact or underestimating food intake; or
    * Being non-average, possibly in unobvious ways, since calorie needs estimates - including those from fitness trackers - are based on averages of people in research studies.

Fast weight loss isn't necessarily a win: It can increase health risks.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

I’m a trail runner and run up and down hills all the time and it does give me a fantastic workout, but I really do it because I find it fun. I don’t know about on a treadmill but I can easily overdo hills and my Achilles’ tendons will definitely let me know when it’s time to scale back and do some flat terrain runs. Make sure you are alternating the inclines with some “flatwork” to prevent tendonitis from overuse, it can sneak up on you and put you out of commission for weeks and that’s no fun!