Subway?

Options
Does anyone eat a lot of Subway through out the week and still tend to lose weight? I try and stay away from the meats and cheeses most of the time and will try and stick with the less sodium veggies. (I have high BP) Do you eat a 6 inch or a foot long? I sometimes will get a 6 inch veggies and then foind it not very filling so may opt for a foot long veggie some days. Any thoughts? :ohwell:

Replies

• Barbj56
    Barbj56 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Love six inch turkey or turkey & ham on wheat with lots of veggies and oil & vinegar in place of the mayo. I do add the cheese...you can also have a salad with lots of spinach (at least my subway now offers spinach).
  • smcrimmon12
    smcrimmon12 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do salads there..not all through the week though. But a salad with ham/turkey is low cal, filling, and yummy!
  • MommyLyssa
    Options
    My hubby and I will do it from time to time for sure (2x last week....more than usual) But they have a great feature on their website (always a 6 inch by the way)...

http://www.subway.com/Menu/MenuCategoryItems.aspx?CC=USA&LC=ENG&MenuTypeId=1&MenuId=35

You can calculate out your own sub- figure out what you would put on it, what you can, etc. (we found out how awful the sauces were using this tool, and we now just omit them) I can have a 6 inch sub that I really enjoy for around 350 calories. Not bad at all! (And since we have a decent amount of buy 1 get one coupons, it works out great. $3 for a sub for the two of us)

I actually find it to be quite filling. HTH! Be sure to check out that feature. It is seriously a HUGE help trying to find out *what* is in a sub that you can customize

ETA- didnt know a lot of subways didnt offer all sorts of veggies- ours has always had spinach and a ton of other veggies- so we LOAD ours up with the veggies for the same price :)
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I eat the veggie on flat bread. Depending on how hungry I am depends on if I have a 6 in or footlong. Instead of chips I either eat the fresh apples or the new Snapz dried apples that they have. There are times I will eat Subway 3-4 times a week. Yes I still lose weight.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    If you MUST eat Subway, go for one of their salads, with no meat, as their meat is VERY processed. They use HFCS in their breads, so they really aren't as "healthy" as they like to proclaim.
  • jakecan4sure
    Options
    I wouldn't say I eat there a lot, but when i do I get the roasted chicken breast and baby spin ash salad. I add cucumbers, bell peppers, and those light green peppers. I don't add salt just a little oil and vinegar. I try to get them to stuff that thing with green veggies. It's only like 250 calories or something like that.
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    If you MUST eat Subway, go for one of their salads, with no meat, as their meat is VERY processed. They use HFCS in their breads, so they really aren't as "healthy" as they like to proclaim.

Oh man this ruined my day :brokenheart: But its good to know...
  • 3ricaAnn
    Options
    Go to their webste, they have a calorie calculator I use when I go. I got a oven crisp on italian with light mayo and pepperjack and it was 470 with a 6 in. and it was really good. I get the light lays too one bag is 45 calories and I love them! I will drink water or a small amount of sweet tea

I rarely eat out. I think maybe twice a month. I perfer to cook at home. But I always plan out what I am getting before I get there or before I eat just so I know what i can have. And I drink a lot of water before I eat so i eat slower and not as much.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I love love love Subway!! Most of the time, I get a footlong, and eat half for lunch, and half for dinner. If I need to watch my carbs for the day (meaning, I'm eating it for dinner, and I'm running out of the alotted carbs for the day), I get the sweet onion chicken teriyaki SALAD, and get extra teriyaki sauce for my dressing. I've discovered that the wraps are just as bad as the bread, so I just stick with the flavorful bread when I get the chance for a sandwich.

I also ask for half cheese on my sandwiches, and none on my salads.

But honestly, I haven't eaten there enough on a weekly basis to see if I've lost weight, or maintained. That might be next week's challenge ;-)
  • cmiles23
    cmiles23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    i eat subway alll the time..... usually eat their breakfast every morning, for lunch though i like the club with tons of veggies and the sweet onion sauce (no fat)
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have Subway probably once or twice a week. My mind thinks it needs a 12 in Sub....so...here is what I do.

Turkey sub....no cheese (ya can't taste the cheese anyway....LOL)
    Ft long wheat ....but the way I do it, any of the breads would probably be fine
    LOADED with veggies.....as many as can fit.
    Mustard .....it took me a few times to get into the mustard....I'm a mayo girl....but...this is my bargain with myself for getting a 12 inch.

Then...start peeling back the bread...taking off the huge pieces....(yes...people look at me funny). I will allow myself 5 bites of sandwich the either the top or bottom bun in the bite (not both).....and pick the thinnest part of the bread.

I figure, that I get less than 25% of the entire bun that way....it's less bread than I would've gotten on the 6 ", but, I have gotten more veggies, more protein, and visually, I have had a 12 inch sub. (Mind games...I know).

I've been very satisfied doing it this way.....

Surprisingly enough, the entire sandwich doesn't fall apart....I have been able to eat them very "neatly". Just picking off bread from the side and top....and then the bottom.

PLUS...I make the birds in my yard very very happy when I go home.....
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Hop online and search for info about their bread. All their bread contains HFCS. Their "whole wheat" and "whole grain" bread really isn't. The whole grain has more HFCS than whole grains. And they add ammonium sulfate to their bread to help with the yeast or something. It also add brown color to the bread.

The bread isn't healthy at all.
  • txmike64
    txmike64 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The formula for eating at Subway:

Your calories from non-Subway sources + your Subway meals - Your exercise calories - your daily activities burn rate (existence burns calories). If this is less than zero....you should lose weight!

We don't know if you're eating Veggie sandwiches, or having a meatball and cheese grinder or passing on the chips or slathering 100 calories worth of mayo....so hard to say if you'll lose weight or not.

We know JARED did!
  • jakecan4sure
    Options
    just checked that baby spinach and chicken salad is 130 calories. I don't any bread, too many calories. I get my carbs from a half cup of oatmeal for my first meal and the rest of my carbs come from green veggies...asparagus, baby spinach, broccoli, cucumbers, bell peppers, etc.
  • blivieri
    blivieri Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you're still hungry, you probaly need protein in your meal. I normally eat my own skinny version of tuna or chicken salad on one of those 100 calorie sandwich thins, open face style; and pair it with 4 oz of carrot sticks with hummus. You're still hungry because you're not getting any protein or fats, if in fact you just have bread with veggie. I wouldn't recommend the tuna salad at Subway. I'm sure they load it with mayo, and not the good kind.
    I prefer the carrots over other dippable veggies because they last a long time in the fridge. Other veggies that go bad after a week or two.
    Anyway, back to Subway. I'm sure you asked because you want Subway to provide the entire meal. You'll probably have to put some sort of meat on it to make it more filling. You want to make sure its 100 % whole wheat bread too. Just because its brown doesn't mean its whole wheat. They might call it wheat bread, all bread is wheat bread for that matter (all bread flour is made from wheat), but for the high fiber kind that's good for you, ask for it. More fiber will be more filling as well.
    I found a website for you to look at. I've fallen in love with the book series Eat This, Not That and Men's Health website along with others have a link. I found this one about Subway meals. Check it out... http://eatthis.menshealth.com/restaurants/subway
  • MistyJ2011
    Options
    Great! Thanks guys so much for all the input! It is greatly appreciated and very helpul!!! :smile:
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to pile on the subway bashing but if you have hypertension, please be aware that breads in general are a hidden source of sodium.... especially Subway bread.

Also, I really don't consider Subway a healthy food in general. The key to treating your hypertension is to prepare your own foods and base your meals around fruits, veggies, lean cuts of meat and a moderate amount of unprocessed starchy carbs. :smile:
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    i'm a togos guy myself. but after realizing how much sodium is in those sandwiches, i have been trying to cut back................
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Thank you...let's please finally bust the myth that Subway is healthy. It isn't. You can make some fairly decent choices there as well as some bad ones, just like you can at McDonalds.
    Hop online and search for info about their bread. All their bread contains HFCS. Their "whole wheat" and "whole grain" bread really isn't. The whole grain has more HFCS than whole grains.
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Bump!