Need filling healthy snack idea, always STARVING at the end

Options
Hi everyone,
I have been finding myself starving & someitmes irritaded by dinner time everyday even though I have my meals & health snacks inbetween. I usually have fruit, pretzels or trailmix as snacks. I know part of the problem was I wasnt eating my exersize calories back but have been & still find myself hungry :(
Any suggestions?

Replies

• mpbfmom
    mpbfmom Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If you like tuna, try the chunk light tuna in a pouch. One pouch is 80 calories and has 13 grams of protein. I eat this after a longer workout and it holds me over until dinner. It's a little dry, but it's not bad.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    try an apple with a little peanut butter
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    String cheese and 4 - 6 almonds and a bottle of water.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    If you like tuna, try the chunk light tuna in a pouch. One pouch is 80 calories and has 13 grams of protein. I eat this after a longer workout and it holds me over until dinner. It's a little dry, but it's not bad.

This is my suggestion, as well! If you want a little more "moistness", you could add a serving of lite miracle whip for a makeshift tuna salad, for an additional 20 calories. Tuna is one of the best snacks that you can have at all times of the day, and for a small can, and 50 calories, you can't beat it!
  • gnastro
    gnastro Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Your snack should contain enough protein. I eat greek yogurt no fat and mix in polaner sugar free jelly with fiber. 2 tablespoons of jelly only 20 calories.
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    Health shakes are an easy way to get full while being quick and effective.
  • eatdrinknic
    eatdrinknic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lots of water... OR an apple with cinnamon or a grapefruit - both are appetite suppressants. Or a cup of unsweetened almond milk.
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    more protein in my snacks did the trick for me. I'll have baby carrots with peanutbutter (weird, I know. But so good and satisfying!), greek yogurt, nuts with fruit, a little tuna on a rice cake, etc... I also find it does wonders to have a little peanutbutter right when I get home from work and before I start making dinner. Maybe my blood sugar is low, but it curbs my appetite and keeps me sane.
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    popcorn!!
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    emerald dark chocolate roasted almonds. very little sugar - high in fat, but if you've got the calories, go for it. crunchy, chocolately, and almonds are super good for you. if you can do sugar (i can't anymore), you can half the serving and add half a serving of dried cranberries. YUM.
  • H2Ologist
    H2Ologist Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Laughing Cow cheese wedges and rounds. 35 or 50 cal and plenty of protein, For the wedges, I eat two them with a serving of Nut Thins (16 = 130 cal). I split the serving and for a bargain of 200 cal. I have a morning AND afternoon snack that keeps me full til dinner.

Edited to add: The Nut Thins also have bonus protein that you don't usually get from crackers.
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    You guys are making me hungry. It's not even 10:00 stop it!!!
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Oh and i second the mentions about protein. you're doing a lot of simple carbs for snacks and they get processed really fast, which will eventually mess with your blood sugar. adding fiber and protein will slow that down.
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Dry Popped Popcorn is really satisfying, and it is a whole grain so it's actually good for you! 3 cups popped is less than 100 calories.
  • bigjgmac
    bigjgmac Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd highly recommend staying away from the carbs and go with the protein. Nuts are good, laughing cow cheeses are good, mini baby bel cheeses are good. I find all of these stave off hunger. I'm on 1800 calories a day, I try to keep the carbs to 100 grams a day, and I rarely find that I am hungry, which is a big contrast to how I used to be and wasn't even paying attention to calories. Protein is the source! I'd encourage you not to worry too much about fat either. Get your calories lower than your base metabolism, limit your carb input, get some moderate excercise, and I promise you the weight will come off and you'll have managable hunger.

Good luck.

John
  • WhiteRaven
    WhiteRaven Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Apple slices with peanut butter or almond butter on them
    a handful of almonds
  • gsenriquez
    gsenriquez Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I eat Ak Mak whole wheat crakers..(5) crackers = 150 cals. I don't eat all 5...it fills me up.
  • mrivera713
    mrivera713 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I haven't developed a taste for this yet, but I'm working on it.. Greek yogurt is filling. I also like the kelloggs Fiber Plus bars.

I eat 300 calories each for breakfast lunch and dinner and 100 calories per healthy snack in between. (daily intake 1200) I'm eating about every 2 hours and I'm never really hungry and I also eat slow so that my brain can get the signal from my stomach that I'm full. We are all different so we just have to find what works best for us.

I hope you find a solution soon. P.S. I do not eat back my exercise calories and I take a multivitamin and Calcium.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    My nutrition told me a mix of fiber and protein. It works much better for me. Here are a few combinations I use:
    - Apple/Plain Greek Yogurt (with a spritz of lime juice)
    - Almonds/V-8 Juice 5.5
    - Tuna/WW Mini Bengal
    - Mixed Veggies, Broccoli, Carrot, Cauliflower/EVOO and Goat Cheese
    - LF Triscuits/LF Cheese
    - Banana/Peanut Butter
    - Small Cup of Granola with Milk
    -Ahi Tuna/Avocado with ginger soy!

It seems we all have a time of day that we are hungrier; for me it is late afternoon, so I skimp on breakfast calories so I have room to eat a bigger snack. My daily goal is 1450 cals split like this: B 100, MS 200, L 200, AS300, DN 500 ES 100. My wife it he opposite, so she has a 500 calorie breakfast, and goes easy for lunch and snacks and a 400 calories dinner. Whatever you do, you want to make sure that you can get rid of the hunger, and being ready with a portion that will do it is essential.