Sudden muscle pain in arm and rib?

Options
It's a pinch that comes and then leaves within seconds, I feel it in my arm and rib at the same time. I've just started lifting. Every time I try to google this issue, the internet thinks I'm having a heart attack. It's been happening suddenly for a few days now, so I think I'd be on the ground by now if it were. Is there a certain nerve that's angry or something, and should I stop until it feels better?

I feel fine otherwise.

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,513 Member
    Options
    Well I can’t help you with the source of the pain, but after googling something similar, now Dr Google has decided I have kidney and liver failure and my browsing has constant cartoons of inflamed livers and dire clickbait headlines.

🤦🏻‍♀️

At least it’ll take your mind off it?

Since it’s sudden and sharp, I’m gonna come down in the side of asking your doctor or nurse helpline, instead of random internet friends. 😘
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If it persists or if there is a personal or family history a checkup / scan could be in order, but without specifics might be that unaccustomed compound heavy lifts (e.g. bench press?) are exposing weaknesses or sensitivities that light mobility exercises could help on off days or as warm up before the heavy workout. Might have a pro look at the specific workout routine with that in mind. (I had good quick experience with chiropractic many years ago, and for some muscle/skeletal issues that or massage sessions with a competent practitioner might do the trick.)
  • adimahatma01
    adimahatma01 Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    These muscles are usually hurt during some twisting motion. Pain can start either from a sudden injury, or it can begin gradually from repetitive motions. Activities that may cause you to strain these rib muscles include: reaching, like when painting a ceiling.

My Health Calculator
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    These muscles are usually hurt during some twisting motion. Pain can start either from a sudden injury, or it can begin gradually from repetitive motions. Activities that may cause you to strain these rib muscles include: reaching, like when painting a ceiling.

Yes, a golf buddy of my partner got bad rib pain after taking up golf and spending a lot of time at the driving range. He saw a doctor, had to stop golf, and just had a second MRI, which said his condition is improved, but his doctor warned him off golf. My partner wants him to see a new doctor :lol:
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Rib pain is often associated w/an oblique strain, injury or hernia

You don't mention where in the arm that you are experiening pain but, although experienced at thesame time, the cause of arm pain may be separate from the cause of the rib pain.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Sudden pinchy pain sounds like a nerve. Something in your back might hit the rib and arm at the same time.

Get it looked at just in case it’s something serious. If it’s not, my advice is like the joke about the guy who says “It hurts when I do this,” and the doctor says, “Stop doing that!” You don’t necessarily need to stop lifting, just figure out what elicits the pain and don’t do that for a while. Lift lighter until you build up a base, maybe hit some secondary muscles to support the ones that hurt.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    Sudden pinchy pain sounds like a nerve. Something in your back might hit the rib and arm at the same time.

Get it looked at just in case it’s something serious. If it’s not, my advice is like the joke about the guy who says “It hurts when I do this,” and the doctor says, “Stop doing that!” You don’t necessarily need to stop lifting, just figure out what elicits the pain and don’t do that for a while. Lift lighter until you build up a base, maybe hit some secondary muscles to support the ones that hurt.

Yes, I went through a lot of trial and error to find out what yoga poses were particularly aggravating to my knees and told my physical therapist I didn't want to simply stop doing them for good - I wanted to fix my knee so I could do them.