Inexpensive, easy, and healthy dinner ideas

Options
Kgerber777
Kgerber777 Posts: 105 Member
I know i'm asking for a lot...what are your inexpensive, easy, and healthy dinner ideas?

Tonight we had sweet potatoes, black beans, and quinoa topped with a dollop of Greek yogurt and a tbsp of salsa.

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,963 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I love roasted eggplant ..throw in some tofu and add a sauce ... I also love spaghetti squash carbonara ... tacos made as a salad

https://sweetmoneybee.com/cheap-healthy-meals/
    https://www.eatingwell.com/gallery/7561540/cheap-healthy-dinner-ideas-20-minutes/
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,658 Member
    Options
    Cullen skink! https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cullen-skink
    Use kippers (=smoked herring) which are a third of the price of smoked haddock, and for me there is no discernible difference in taste. I deviate from this recipe by gently frying onion then simmer with the diced potatoes and just enough milk to cover. When the potatoes are soft I blitz everything with a hand held immersion blender. Cook the smoked fish in the pureed soup but if the fish is skin on take it out before it is falling apart (1 or 2 minutes) so you can remove the skin before flaking back into the soup. Add more milk until soup is a consistency you like. If you are freezing the soup do it in the concentrated form without the last addition of milk so it takes less room in the freezer. Oh, use a non stick pot for this, as simmering milk otherwise is a pain to clean up.

For veg have this with bruschetta which can be made while you are waiting for the potatoes to cook.
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/tomato-bruschetta
  • IFJagain
    IFJagain Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I smoke a bunch of meat on the grill for meals throughout the week... can be chicken, rib-eye, flank, pork, etc. Any one (or more) of the meals that week will consist of cubed meat mixed with green beans or fresh spinach... baked potato is optional
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Trader Joes makes Chili Lime Chicken Burgers. Raw, but really reasonable in the freezer section. That and some steamed veggie like green beans are great for an easy cheap meal. They are lean and really clean ingredients.

Sheet Dinners are easy and healthy -- chicken breast, red potatoes, any vegetable. Drizzle with EVOO and bake or roast.

I love any fish with a raw kale salad and mangos. The salad can be easy -- just cut your kale fine after taking out the large stems. I whisk some frozen OJ or Pineapple juice with some honey, EVOO, Garlic, mustard and Rice Wine Vinegar. Add in a mango and slivered almonds. Serve with a fried fish. Fish is easy with the right pans. I have a non-stick griddle pan that I'm in love with. So easy to make nice salmon or any fish.

Baked potato with frozen broccoli florets and cottage cheese is amazing. I only eat real baked potatoes. So easy to make if you have an hour. Just lightly oil the outside, use rock salt, wrap tightly in foil and put on in a pan and bake at 425 for an hour. Nothing like a real baker.

I'll admit, most of my meals are complex. But my wife and daughter left town recently and I took a boxed Tomato Soup (Imagine brand, really good), a can of Glory Greens, drained and a can of precooked brown lentils. Threw it all in a pan and had that for two nights.

TJs also has a cauliflower gnocchi. Pan fry those with some leafy greens and you have a quick, cheap and healthy dinner.

Oh, Green Giant now has Cauliflower Risotto with only 3 ingredients -- cauliflower, asparagus and mushrooms. Add a bit of butter or margarine and parm and you have a super easy, healthy dinner.
  • issymissydaemon
    issymissydaemon Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Soup! Make a big batch than portion out and freeze leftovers for future meals.

Invest in a steamer and good seasonings. Nothing is as easy and delicious as lemon steamed chicken and veggies. This is easily translated to a baking sheet in the oven too!

Taco Salads

spaghetti squash with tomato sauce

ground turkey lettuce cups

stir fry with your own sauce...the store bought stuff tends to be full of sugar IMO

• Gypsy_ER_Nurse
    Gypsy_ER_Nurse Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Black beans with shredded chicken and homemade chili seasoning......and maybe a touch of ranch or cheese
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    meatballs and roasted potatoes with a salad...I'm going to try this next time!
    https://youtu.be/iJRccoWsv5k
  • casillasrocio99
    casillasrocio99 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    try stuffed Mexican zucchini. wash some zucchinis cut in half then cut the other end so you can stand them up in your pot, hollow them out and save set aside, use 2 or 3 medium or small cooked white potatoes mash them, then use low fat cheese(cheddar, monterey which ever cheese you like), mix potatoes and cheese together. stuff zucchini with potato mixture. then place them in your pot, make sure they are standing so the mixture won't come out, place the stuff you hollowed out in blender, with one tomato, fresh minced garlic about 1 tbsp, a piece of onion, salt and pepper blend until you get a soupy consistency, then pour in the pot of your stuffed zucchinis, making sure the zucchinis are still standing, place a lid to cover the pot use medium heat until it starts to boil, then lower heat, heat until the zucchini are tender. serve with grilled chicken or grilled steak.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    During the week we generally just grill some kind of protein and serve with some kind of veg and a starch or grain. Getting well into fall now so making more stews. Made some green chile stew earlier in the week and cowboy chilli on Thursday night.
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Just did a yummy Buddha bowl tonight. Roasted broccoli, carrots, and chickpeas with 1 TBSP oil, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Made black rice. Made a spicy peanut sauce (peanut butter, lime juice, liquid smoke, milk, maple syrup, and cayenne powder). Super easy and tasty!