PAIN!!

Options
I've been pushing myself a little hard at the gym and i'm feeling the pain right now.. The worst of it is in my shins.. What do you guys do to help the pain so you don't have to skip a day?

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Try lifting some weights and focusing on upper body, such as a little abs, some arm work, and back exercises. In a day or two your shin splints should ease up, then you can go back to treadmill or elliptical. You definitely do not want to push through shin splint pain, it will risk damaging you.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Those hurt just as bad...lol I usually spend 2 hours a day at the gym.. 1 hour of it is a class and they other hour is weights and lots more cardio... I also do pilattes at home 3 times a week.
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I am doing the Shred right now, and one of the things she recommends is holding a static squat or lunge while doing upper body stuff. You burn a LOT more calories that way and you are still toning your legs, but you aren't doing any impacty-stuff that could hurt your bones.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    If you are really in pain doing every kind of exercise, take today off. Do lots of light stretches throughout the day and drink plenty of water.

This should help ease up on some of the lactid acid buildup that is hurting your muscles.

When you return to exercising tomorrow, take it easier than normal and only focus on one part of your body (upper or lower perhaps) then the day after you can swap to the other part in hopes to give the first part time to recover.
  • ghoastie
    Options
    For me, the biggest thing is stretching. Stretch stretch stretch and then do it some more! One of my instructors once told me that the best stretches last at least two minutes EACH. You need to have your muscles be warm when you start stretching, so run a mile or do some other warm up first. And *never* bounce in a stretch - that can cause an even bigger injury! Good luck!
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.. I've decided to skip my deep water running class and just take the water aerobics class.. I have a feeling the w I'varm water will feel good :) I did a little bit of jogging on tuesday and i think that is the issue... i'm starting to like it :) (the water aerobics is like taking a night off.. some nice stretching and thats about it)
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints.....work on your upper body and do water exercises for 2 weeks. If when you start back working on your legs, do it slowly and if it kicks back up, I suggest that you see an orthopedic surgeon that deals with sports medicine.

Pam aka Cherubcrnp
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    ibuprofen and ice packs
  • merceah
    Options
    I've been pushing myself a little hard at the gym and i'm feeling the pain right now.. The worst of it is in my shins.. What do you guys do to help the pain so you don't have to skip a day?

I was a runner in high school (before my child baring years) and our coaches always had us freezee dixie cups full to the top with water and freezse them, then you can rub them on your muscles after each workout or weight lifting episode. This loosens the muslces and lets them repair faster and relieves pain and swelling. You would be shocked at how well this trick works.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    The best way I've found to deal with sore muscles (assuming they're not injured, if it's joint pain or something that feels like an injury rather than fatigue you need to stop and rest for a few days) is to do a low impact exercise. If I do a lot of running on a day and feel sore the next, I hit something low impact like either an exercise bike or eliptical machine on a lower resistance. This loosens up the muscles without the heavy duty impact associated with running. Your water idea may work too as that should be lower impact. The key is to keep the muscles moving without putting a lot of stress on them. That should get you through.