Breathing while Running

Options
I am just getting back to a regular exercise routine. I walk/ run . . . I start off with walking and then move it up to run for 30 seconds or until I can't stand it, then move it down to a fast walk past. Over all I'm constantly moving the speed up & down to build up to hopefully one day mainly running. When I run I breath hard & it's loud. I have to focus - breath in nose out mouth, in nose out mouth, BUT when running it gets to where I almost can't breath at the end of that short stride. Will the breathing inprove, am I not built to run, any input would be much appreciated.

Replies

• GymRatRaceRunner
    GymRatRaceRunner Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Breath in thru mouth and nose, out through mouth and nose. You can't get enough oxygen thru the nose alone.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Breath in thru mouth and nose, out through mouth and nose. You can't get enough oxygen thru the nose alone.

^^^ very important! :)
  • robersonj
    robersonj Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Agree with Doom. Breathe through both and your berating should improve. Are you doing Couch to 5k? Sounds similar to what you are doing...
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'm having issues too! Breathing through your mouth and nose like Doom says is def important. but is anyone having issues with chest breathing vs. stomach breathing? I can breath into my stomach easier when I'm not running. When I'm running my breath seems to only want to go into my chest and expand my ribcage. Is there a trick to that? or just practice?
  • martinh78
    Options
    Breath slowley as well, breath in counting to three (in your head) and breath out slowley.

I hate running and breathing was one reason why. My sister took me jogging and I did amazingly well, because she slowed my breathing RIGHT down.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Hear hear for controlled breathing, and breathing through the mouth, my nose for one does not approve of all that air whooshing past.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    It should get easier over time!! Unless of course you have a medical issue like asthma that would be causing the airways to constrict?!!?
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Here's an article on breathing technique for running.

http://www.runningjogging.com/Breathing_Techniques_While_Running.html
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Have you ever thought of slowing down? No one says you have to run fast. When I first started running I would doing little more than a bouncy-type of walk. If you slow down you should be able to control your breathing better.

Also, relax the muscles in your face. This allows you to bring in oxygen more efficiently.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    It will get better, that was one of my issues when I began running...I would get to the point where I was only breathing, or maybe gasping for air is better terminology, through my mouth. Now I can breath either way and will usually switch from one to another through out the course of my run. It is one of those endurance things you can and will build up.
  • grfox66
    Options
    Last time I tried RUNNING I was breathing through every place I could....mouth, nose, ears, and other places that would get moderated...

But seriously...I walk alot (4.5 - 5.0mph) and I tried to breath as much as possible through mouth and nose both...I tried doing the nose in mouth out and about passed out...

Get alot of O2 into your body...that is important!!!

Good Luck,

G
  • framywest
    Options
    Also make sure you relax your arms. Let them just hang next to your sides and swing naturally. If you notice them tensing up or if you start pumping your arms, check yourself and let those arms just hang/swing again. One other thing.. Run slowly. Just shuffle along. As your fitness level slowly increases, your body will automatically go a bit faster, a bit faster. The main thing is to relax! As for breathing, everyone has their different way that feela natural. For me, it's breathe in two steps, and out two steps, not something I think about, but something I came to notice over time! I dont think at all about stomach vs chest breathing.
  • Losin_N_2018
    Losin_N_2018 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. Great information, I will apply at next work out. Wow, learning lots. I am so looking forward to hitting the treadmill tonight!
  • Losin_N_2018
    Losin_N_2018 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have seen other post about "Couch to 5K" but I'm not doing that. Just going at my own pace. I don't think "run" is probably the right word for where I'm at but more of a jog. I run / jog where the treadmill speed says 3.5 to 4.0. The 4.0 is at maximum only for about 30 seconds or I push through a fast timing in a song. Yesterday I found out that you need "running socks" because cotton socks can cause blisters. I am amazed by this site more & more. And everyone is SO GREAT! I truly can't say thank you enough.
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    I was a runner in high school (30+ years ago) and just got back into exercising. I am now a huge fan of walking. I always assumed it was too little exercise to matter. But even taking short (15 minute) walks around the neighborhood, I started noticing improvement within just a few days. And from then on, I _wanted_ to walk more and I never have to "make myself" do it. Over time my pace just sort of picked up on its own, then as I got into better shape, I would consciously walk faster.

It's kind of funny, but now when I walk I'm at the limit of how fast I can go with a walking motion. If I'm in a crosswalk and want to get out of the way of a car or something, I'll break into a run for a few strides, and it almost feels like I'm "taking it easy".

So, if you're not following a specific plan (C25k or something) I'd recommend that you 1) don't underestimate the value of walking : you can definitely raise your heartbeat and work up a good sweat in comfort. And 2) Don't feel like you _have_ to phase in running all at once. Even doing a very short spell at a time (10 strides) can be a great way to get used to the motion and work on form.

Oh, and I do all my walking outdoors, "for real". I'd rather jab a rusty spike in my eye than use a treadmill or exercise bike. I had to use a treadmill for a cardio stress test, and found it really, really hard to feel comfortable. Somehow just taking one step after another felt like a chore. At a certain speed, it felt like walking was too slow, but running was too fast. So you may want to think about walking/running outdoors at least while you're still getting used to it.
  • mags2504
    Options
    bump