Shin Splints

Options
Hello

I've started exercising 3-4 times a week but have recently developed Shin Splints or Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome (MTSS). It's really painful when doing high impact exercises and has even started to hurt when walking. Is there anyway to ease the pain as I really don't want to stop my exercise routine as I want to get fit and I'm really enjoying it! Will it just get worse if I keep working out?

Tara

Replies

• Hottness4Lyfe
    Hottness4Lyfe Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Bump....
  • stackopaper
    Options
    I suffer from this too. It's the worst! On the treadmill, try to increase your incline. This works for me. Ice, Motrin, and rest. I've also heard the strengthening your calf muscles helps. I'm not sure becuase I have muscular calves and it still hurts. Are you working with a doctor?
  • amandaj27
    Options
    I used to get these really bad... I know they are soooo painful.... I started buying the Asics cumulis gel shoes (not sure if I spelled that right) and I absolutely stopped getting them period. May be something to look into! Some are a little pricey but a good shoe could make all the difference! Hope this helps and good luck!
  • kaydogg1
    Options
    yes it will...I did the exact thing. I had small pain but kept running until it was just too painful.
    best thing to do I found is to move to low impact exercise. I have been doing weight training and elliptical 3-4 times a week. Shin splits def. are feeling better. good luck
  • ambercanfly
    ambercanfly Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have this too. There are a lot of great stretches you can do. I really like this site for information: http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/lowerleg/shinsplints.htm

I highly suggest taping your shins for more support and making sure you are strengthening those muscles. After you strengthen your muscles more and stretch them out you will feel a LOT better.

Here are good stretches: http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/lowerleg/shinsplints/stretching.php

Here are good strengthening exercises: http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/lowerleg/shinsplints/strengthening.php

Good Luck!
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    My PT said to get "running shoes" or "Cross trainers" and I plan to do just that very soon... Shin Splints are the worst! Feel better!!
  • Google "pose running". I suffered from shin splints for years until I switched from a hell-strike to a forefoot / mid-foot strike.

Also - STRETCH THAT CALF / SHIN! Cannot stress that enough.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Stay off them until they're better! Ice and Motrin, do not keep going on them.

That being said, you can strengthen your shins so it doesn't happen in the future (this tip brought to you compliments of my friend DarkRider who saved this runners life in term of shin splits!). Sit on the ground with your left leg bent, knee int he air, and your right heel on your left toes. Slowly lift your left toes and lower them for one rep. Do 3 sets of 20 on each side before any kind of impact exercise. This helps to warm up your shins as well as strengthen them for the future. I haven't had any problems since starting these.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I used to get these really bad... I know they are soooo painful.... I started buying the Asics cumulis gel shoes (not sure if I spelled that right) and I absolutely stopped getting them period. May be something to look into! Some are a little pricey but a good shoe could make all the difference! Hope this helps and good luck!

Proper shoes are a great help.... go to a running store and have them watch you walk/run to get you in the proper shoe. I tried asics and they didn't fit just right so now I am in a new balance. Each person is different and they will help you figure out the brand/stability you need! :bigsmile:
  • lulu9812
    Options
    Yes!! I used to run track in high school and had terrible shin splints. Two exercises will help a lot with the pain. 1- outline the alphabet with your toes on the ground a few times a day. You can do it sitting at your desk or watching TV. 2- run up a hill backwards a few times a week. You may look silly doing it but it works! Other than that, taking an anti-inflamatory may help with the immediate pain. Don't stop running! Good Luck!
  • missfroggirl
    missfroggirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You need better arch support in your shoes. Take your shoes to a local runing shoe store and they can help you find the right insole with the right arch support. I am going through the same thing. I changed my insole and my shin splints went away.
  • Sarw27
    Sarw27 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was getting bad shin splints when I started walking to work. A friend who runs reminded me to spend a few minutes stretching even after a simple walk (point out your toes!). Also, depends on the shoes I wear. All summer I wore these mesh sketchers with an inclined heel on them. They were really light and the incline made them super comfortable, low impact, and easier to walk in! Now I'm looking for a new pair for fall!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Bump...I have perpetual shin splints!
  • davekaplan
    Options
    In X-Stretch (P90X) there's a little routine that helped me.

You stand on 1 foot, raising your other foot, maybe like 8-10 inches or whatever is comfortable. You can use a chair or wall to help you balance on the 1 foot.
    1. Then point and flex that raised foot. Toe up, toe down. Tony does it 8 times.
    2. Then you rotate inward 8-times (counter-clockwise) with your toe pointing...like your big toe is going around the clock.
    3. Then switch and go clockwise 8 times.
    4. Repeat with the other foot.

Try it out, maybe that with some of the other stuff will help. I hate shin splints! Isn't that a crazy weird pain?! Those stretches really helped me and I was getting shin splints off and on for years.

Although, I'm getting them again during 1 specific exercise while I'm doing Insanity, so I think I'm going to do that stretch more.

Kind regards,
    Dave
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I happened to come across this today and thought it was an interesting watch/read. He says don't waste your time with stretching or ice. Check it out. Maybe it will help. I haven't tried it though.

http://zero-drop.com/?p=3435
  • astrand1800
    astrand1800 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Invest in some good shoes. I had okay, not running specific shoes and got horrible shin splints. I bought some good quality shoes and rested up for a week until the shins were feeling better started working out hard again and have had no problem. My sister had to get orthotics to help with hers. Maybe visit an orthopedist to have them assess your feet.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Lets start by looking at the reasons why you get shin splints. For runners, shin splints are usually tied to one of three things. These include Form/Biomechanical flaws, Overusage, and poor footwear.

Form/Biomechanical flaws include heavy heal striking, and heavy pronation (where the foot rolls in excessively during a runners stride).

Overusage includes doing too much, too quickly and not allowing reasonable build up or recovery between exercise sessions.

And lastly poor or inappropriate footwear. I usually tell beginning runners to go to a running store and have them fit you. They will watch you walk and run, check your gate, look at wear patterns on your existing shoes and then fit you in an appropriate pair of shoes based on these. Given how much we rely on our feet, do you want some 17 year old high school student at the local Wally World telling you what to wear? No... go to a respectable Running shop/ Athletes shop. Also make sure that you get appropriate footwear for the activity. You wouldn't go tap dancing in golf cleats, yet its amazing how many people wear the wrong type of shoe for the activity. Soccer shoes are for soccer, tennis shoes are for tennis, and running shoes are for running.

How new are your shoes or are they worn out (for running shoes anything over 300 miles is suspect, not sure how cross trainers etc rate... )

For Treatment ->Rest-Ice-Compression-Elevation, take advil for the pain, and cut back on the activity that caused it.

You might also try massaging a frozen dixie cup of water over the affected area, three to four times a day for 15 minutes. Deeper tissue massage helps. Try digging your thumbs in there and massage out the knots. It will hurt to start but will help the healing as you force blood flow into the affected area.

Deep tissue massage will also help... dig your thumbs into the soar spot and try to massage them out. This will help break up any knots and allow proper blood flow back into the injury site.

One thing that also worked for me was getting ART therapy. Active Release Therapy is pretty much a hybrid therapy that can include accupuncture, chiropractic, massage and muscle manipulation to free up the injury site. I had lasting relief from chronic shin splints after only 4-5 visits.

If this doesn't give you relief, seek the help of a Sports Physiotherapist or Doctor.

Good luck!
  • Tara1B
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice! I'll try all the treatments/exercises posted and look at my trainers. There is a place nearby that can test them against my running technique. I do have good quality Asics running shoes, but as some of you suggested - they may not be right for me!

Thank you again, fingers crossed I find a solution!

Tara