Oura ring ?

Timca
Timca Posts: 2 Member
edited February 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey all, anyone here use an Oura ring? How does it help you and how do you plug it in to your MFP records? Thanks

Replies

• Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Looks expensive.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    DD loves it but isn't on MFP
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    You and a lot of others will have to convince Oura to do the programming to send the data out to MFP.

MFP makes it easy though - they have a free API for what can be sent. Oura's choice.
  • seltzer_lover
    seltzer_lover Posts: 261 Member
    I have one but it wasn't to track activity or integrate with MFP at all (I also have an Apple Watch).

It's not meant to be an activity tracker. It helps me with my sleeping issues and has helped me identify areas to work on to improve my sleep enormously.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,976 Member
    I have one but it wasn't to track activity or integrate with MFP at all (I also have an Apple Watch).

It's not meant to be an activity tracker. It helps me with my sleeping issues and has helped me identify areas to work on to improve my sleep enormously.

How does it help you w/your sleep issues?

Thought about buying one as a fitness tracker but balked at the price.

I've been having sleep issues recently too.

Have tried white noise, relaxation techniques and certain prescription and otc solutions w/min results.

So, I would be interested in buying an Oura if it can really help.
  • laborkei
    laborkei Posts: 5 Member
    I am getting weak for an Oura Ring, but it has to work with Myfitnesspal for me to buy it. My Fitbit "One" is getting old, but it still works. I got my monies worth out of it... I am looking at an Ad here on myfitnesspal for the Oura Ring, so I am hopefull.
  • laborkei
    laborkei Posts: 5 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »

How does it help you w/your sleep issues?

Thought about buying one as a fitness tracker but balked at the price.

I've been having sleep issues recently too.

Have tried white noise, relaxation techniques and certain prescription and otc solutions w/min results.

So, I would be interested in buying an Oura if it can really help.

Chewable Melatonin 3_mg has worked for me for Sleep. I have problems too. But I don't like the the "Dreaming" it introduces. They say you start out with X_mg, and then cut the pill to a smaller amount to get the bare minimum for helping with sleep. I just found this topic as I am interested in buying an Oura Ring as well.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,976 Member
    My sleep problems have since passed. No current need to use the sleeping pills that I was prescribed or the melatonin that I bought OTC.

However, I did resort to wearing socks to bed after I read an article that it helps promote sleep by regulating body temp. Have no idea if that's true or not but I've slept like a baby ever since.

LOL! ;)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    The concept that you can put useful electronics in a ring is really amazing, but it certainly does not replace a FitBit, Garmin, or Apple watch. I just upgraded to a slightly better (and bigger) Garmin (Fenix 6s), and I really like the extra functionality.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    I have had an Oura ring for almost 2 years and just recently upgraded to the Gen3 ring. It is not linked to mfp, nor do I intend to link it (my Garmin (Fenix 6s) is linked). My ring is linked to my HRV4Training, Bearable and possibly somewhere else that I can’t remember right now.

I use it as a recovery monitor as it considers a multitude of metrics over a period of time to assess your “readiness” for the day. I use it similarly to a whoop band, but far more discreet (and without a wet band after swimming).

It has worked exceptionally well in this regard. I can’t fathom it working well as an all inclusive activity tracker. It does monitor activity, but the value isn’t from step counting and calorie burns-rather it’s from assessing a bunch of biomarkers along with your activity level, sleep, and so forth over a period of time to determine if you’re recovered and ready for another hard workout or if you need a bit more rest/easy day.

The sleep monitoring is pretty good for me. I don’t do a lot with that information specifically, but it is considerably more in depth than other trackers in terms of data points during sleep, which could possibly help if someone needed to work on that (or give more metrics to measure a change).

I am also very much looking forward to the period prediction (not just tracking) based on biomarkers rather than just historical timing. That could be life changing for me. But that feature won’t apply to all users.

It is not an inexpensive item. But it is worth the cost for me. YMMV.
  • itstheo43
    itstheo43 Posts: 9 Member
    FWIW I just got the Oura ring a couple of weeks ago and it isn't really working for me. I'm going to keep trying it for a few more weeks, but I think I'm likely to return it. As others have said, it really is NOT an activity tracker and is more useful for general bio data. My problem is that the data it's providing me really isn't helpful--it keeps telling me everything is "optimal" when that evaluation doesn't feel subjectively accurate, and the granular data, while very cool and detailed, isn't as useful as I expected. If sleep was something I needed help improving, I do think it would be a worthwhile investment. Otherwise, I would skip it.
  • akw278
    akw278 Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2023
    The way around this dilemma is to link MFP to your applehealth. OURA can also link to your apple health app. If both can access your apple health app, then the data is shared. It's just done indirectly. I have an Oura and I love it.