Cutting Program

Options
I’ve been running a bulk with stronglifts for about a year. I’m up 30lb, maybe half muscle and half fat. Thinking about doing a cut for a few months. What program should I switch to during the cut to help me keep my gains?

Thanks!

Replies

• cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    Why do you think you need to change programmes?
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    That is what I’m asking. Should I keep doing stronglifts with a cut, or switch to something until after my cut that would prevent muscular loss better. If I stick to stronglifts, how do I handle deload triggers since I doubt I will keep making progress with a cut. Thanks!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If you ran SL for almost a year and plan to eat in caloric deficit. I would run a hypertrophy program that utilizes auto regulation that mirrors just above your current volume which includes the equipment you have available.
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I would continue with SL but don't expect to make number gains so much. Focus on the mind muscle connection and do a bit more cardio/be ok with the weight on the bar going down or staying the same (but sometimes we can hit PRs in a deficit too!)
  • Reonnn
    Reonnn Posts: 21 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    i wouldn't go for a all out hypertrophy program stick with the same rep scheme 5x5 but maybe add a volume day so a 3x10 or a 10x3 rep range day/whatever assesorys you like to do cutting weight makes you weaker its important to try and keep strength while cutting so staying on that program as you cut sure you wont be going heavier in weight but your body wont get rid of the hard earned muscle it created to lift thos weights. i did strong lifts for awhile now i just do push pull legs but ill have 1 day a intensity day so the 5x5 rep scheme plus assesorys and one day a volume day then have 1 rest day but thats a bit extreeme but thats what i do. but too many people drop too much weight on the bar when losing weight to get the "hyptrophy rep range" and end up losing too much strength stick to what you been doing till you have lost the weight then go into a hypertrophy program you will thank me later.
  • Chieflrg
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Reonnn wrote: »
    i wouldn't go for a all out hypertrophy program stick with the same rep scheme 5x5 but maybe add a volume day so a 3x10 or a 10x3 rep range day/whatever assesorys you like to do cutting weight makes you weaker its important to try and keep strength while cutting so staying on that program as you cut sure you wont be going heavier in weight but your body wont get rid of the hard earned muscle it created to lift thos weights. i did strong lifts for awhile now i just do push pull legs but ill have 1 day a intensity day so the 5x5 rep scheme plus assesorys and one day a volume day then have 1 rest day but thats a bit extreeme but thats what i do. but too many people drop too much weight on the bar when losing weight to get the "hyptrophy rep range" and end up losing too much strength stick to what you been doing till you have lost the weight then go into a hypertrophy program you will thank me later.

Hi @Reonnn maybe you haven't had the opportunity to read the recent research and studies on hypertrophy. Perhaps I'm wrong as I have been many times in my lifetime, but current evidence suggests much different than you suggest.

Current evidence suggests we can achieve hypertrophy in anywhere from 4 reps to 30 reps depending how it's programmed. A well written hypertrophy program will have a wide range of rep schemes to reflect this and may utilize many strategies to promote MPS. Which we know quite clearly we want MPS to occur to retain muscle during a caloric dificit.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6950543/

The majority of people that I run on my hypertrophy programming actually gain strength for a period of time not lose it because of the volume increase at appropriate intensity's driving the strength adaptations.

SL is simply not a good program from the start once you started stalling 3-6 months in and even worse for someone in a caloric deficit compared to more advanced programming that utilizes auto regulation and proper load management including sufficient volume.

To suggest the OP continue running a extremely suboptimal linear program that fatigues people 100% of the time and then suggest adding a additional day of lifting on top without any form of auto regulation is in short- not a good suggestion IMHO. 5x5 at inappropriate intensities is not promoting MPS or strength gains in this situation.

• Reonnn
    Reonnn Posts: 21 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Hi @Reonnn maybe you haven't had the opportunity to read the recent research and studies on hypertrophy. Perhaps I'm wrong as I have been many times in my lifetime, but current evidence suggests much different than you suggest.

Current evidence suggests we can achieve hypertrophy in anywhere from 4 reps to 30 reps depending how it's programmed. A well written hypertrophy program will have a wide range of rep schemes to reflect this and may utilize many strategies to promote MPS. Which we know quite clearly we want MPS to occur to retain muscle during a caloric dificit.

The majority of people that I run on my hypertrophy programming actually gain strength for a period of time not lose it because of the volume increase at appropriate intensity's driving the strength adaptations.

SL is simply not a good program from the start once you started stalling 3-6 months in and even worse for someone in a caloric deficit compared to more advanced programming that utilizes auto regulation and proper load management including sufficient volume.

To suggest the OP continue running a extremely suboptimal linear program that fatigues people 100% of the time and then suggest adding a additional day of lifting on top without any form of auto regulation is in short- not a good suggestion IMHO. 5x5 at inappropriate intensities is not promoting MPS or strength gains in this situation.

@Chieflrg Yes i have ^^ the main drive for hypertrophy is progressive overload iver more reps or more weight however my argument was if his been on a 5 rep per set program and he drops it for a high rep program his gonna lose his hard earned strength in a cut but ywas i agree with you. i obsess over bodybuilding and used to believe the magic number but yeah there is none.. his built a good foundation with strong lifts now its time he builds the walls but i just think its risky him dropping too much weight off the bar for rep work unless he goes to a push pull routine where he has a intensity day and a volume day but hey naturals have allways argued with what's the best way. he just needs to experiment and find things out him self some good youtubers id recommend is Alpha destiny expesally since it seems he likes strength programs but also wants to look like he lifts. but yes he should ditch strong lifts its good for what it says it is a beginners program to build strength if his lifts is up hypertrophy programs gonna be better to do i just dont know about him doing them in a cut
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

@Chieflrg Yes i have ^^ the main drive for hypertrophy is progressive overload iver more reps or more weight however my argument was if his been on a 5 rep per set program and he drops it for a high rep program his gonna lose his hard earned strength in a cut but ywas i agree with you. i obsess over bodybuilding and used to believe the magic number but yeah there is none.. his built a good foundation with strong lifts now its time he builds the walls but i just think its risky him dropping too much weight off the bar for rep work unless he goes to a push pull routine where he has a intensity day and a volume day but hey naturals have allways argued with what's the best way. he just needs to experiment and find things out him self some good youtubers id recommend is Alpha destiny expesally since it seems he likes strength programs but also wants to look like he lifts. but yes he should ditch strong lifts its good for what it says it is a beginners program to build strength if his lifts is up hypertrophy programs gonna be better to do i just dont know about him doing them in a cut

Progressive overload is not solely more weights or more reps. That is often misinterpreted. Especially by those who follow linear progression. Part of the reason it is misunderstood is the name itself. Progressive overload can be done so many ways and your creativity is the only governing aspect. Tempo work, shorter rest periods, frequency, etc...are all excellent ways to achieve a overload as well.

The main drive of a robust hypertrophy response according to evidence is volume which under the right conditions produces MPS. The citation of evidence I posted before touches on that quite clearly, I hope you took the time to read the established evidence. Ironically MPS though volume is also considered the gold standard to retain muscle.

I can understand your doubts as I use to have the similar doubts up to 5-6 years ago until evidence started to reflect different training styles had a more robust response to different goals.

I agree on encouraging experimenting for any lifter/coach. I also find following current evidence and having someone who went through all the sub optimal ways of training can yield results in a more efficient fashion especially if there track record reflects this. Hence why I frequent this site to help others in their goals.

Here is another citation that mirrors the previous one that volume is considered the key to MPS.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30153194/
    Conclusions: Marked increases in strength and endurance can be attained by resistance-trained individuals with just three 13-min weekly sessions over an 8-wk period, and these gains are similar to that achieved with a substantially greater time commitment. Alternatively, muscle hypertrophy follows a dose-response relationship, with increasingly greater gains achieved with higher training volumes.

Again the programming I'm suggesting is hypertrophy focused includes auto regulation and proper load management in relation to current programming volumes.