Rest Days?

Options
I started Couch 2 5K and was just wondering what exactly they consider a rest day. I understand no running but can you do other cardio that day? Can you walk a few miles instead of doing the program? Can you do squats? I don't want to do nothing on my rest days but I don't want to overdo it and get hurt.

10944008.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Your body needs a day to rest and recharge. I would say rest day means no working out. I don't think walking is a bad idea but I wouldn't do a ton of cardio or anything like that.
  • xinahay123
    Options
    just don't run. You can do other cardio, you can lift weights. Just don't run. Congrats on starting couch 2 5K. It is a great program!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You need rest days to allow your body to recover. Even doing cardio, your body needs time to recover, replenish it's energy supplies, make changes to muscle and nerve structure to help facilitate the activities your doing, and hundreds of other activities. If you continuously workout and never rest, you aren't giving your body the time it needs to adjust and recover, and you end up hurting your workouts in the long run.

I generally do C25K 3 times a week, I strength train 2 times a week, and I take 2 FULL days off for recovery. Every 6 weeks or so I take an entire week off from exercise as well.
  • Asil76
    Asil76 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I say do whatever you are comfortable with just make sure that you listen to your body and don't over do it :happy: I personally take a rest day when I feel I need one but I still get out for a walk or do some form of exercise that isn't to intense.
  • resabug05
    resabug05 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I usually do free weights or circuit training on the rest days of the C25K. It's working out pretty well!
  • toxicat
    Options
    I don't know much about the program, but this site seems to lay it all out:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I don't do impact cardio on the days between my running days. Riding my stationary bike is usually my exercise of choice those days. Strength training is another great option. You should have one rest day per week where you don't exercise at all but you could also go for a walk that day.
  • Frances_C17
    Frances_C17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I would do squats, lunges etc on my running days and upper body and core strength training on the days in between. That way you are using a set of muscle groups while resting the others. Though it is a good idea to have at least one proper rest day a week when you do not much more than a bit of walking.
  • dragonflytwt
    dragonflytwt Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When I first started the Couch to 5K, I only worked out on those 3 days, but as I got farther into the program. I was getting sore, I got a hairline fracture in my foot, then my knee... so I did some research and strength is very important if you are a runner. So 3 days I week I run, 3 days a week I do a mix of cardio and strength training (Just stared the Nike Training Club, LOVE IT). That way I am stronger to complete my runs and I will avoid getting injuries. Good luck, it's a great program!

If you have a smart phone - you gotta download the C25K app! Awesome!!
  • outersoul
    Options
    I say do whatever you are comfortable with just make sure that you listen to your body and don't over do it :happy: I personally take a rest day when I feel I need one but I still get out for a walk or do some form of exercise that isn't to intense.

This. I go by what my body tells me. Sometimes I run on consecutive days sometimes I rest. I've been running since May so it may be different. If you're just beginning I would take rest days until your body gets used to it. Generally speaking, rest days are recommended so the body can rebuild.
  • nickiev214
    nickiev214 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I like the idea of lower body workouts the days I run and upper body on my rest days. I'm trying to plan everything out because my work schedule is difficult. I work 4 days with 12 hour overnite shifts and then I'm off 4 days so I don't want to "waste" the days I'm off and not do SOMETHING.

10944008.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I use my recovery days as a break from the gym and fitness classes, but I do actively rest. I plan a day at the pool splashing around, or go out and walk around DC. Basically, I don't sit around all day, but I don't worry about calorie burn or "exercising"