Wearable tech?

Options
I'm not sure what to buy - I don't want a watch but I'm not sure the Oura Ring will give me the input I'm looking for.

For spin class and intervals.

Thanks

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What data are you trying to capture and for what purpose?

(If your bike has a power meter I'd definitely want to capture and use that data.)

But you want a wearable that isn't a watch? That's going to be very limiting.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    If it's just for exercising then a heartrate strap and a phone app might be enough. However, both spinning classes and intervals are the kind of exercises where things like calorie calculations are inaccurate because the software doesn't know whether you're going faster or resting while your HR is still high. Thus calorie calculations will be overstated. If you want to record how well you're improving, like how fast your HR goes down after exercise or reacts to intervals then a strap is probably ok.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    @yirara is pointing to the options. You could buy a Wahoo Tickr heart rate strap and use the Wahoo Fitness phone app (among others) to monitor whatever sensors you have on your spin bike. I've done it many times and it generally works great.

If you want a little more convenience plus "life monitoring," you might buy one of the fitness watches: Garmin, Apple, or Fitbit. Which one you choose depends on what features you are most interested in. Very briefly, I feel like Apple is the most powerful, but requires daily charging and you have to have an iPhone. Fitbit is the easiest to use, and is great for general life monitoring, but doesn't address tracking specific workouts all that well. Garmin is the best choice for athletic training, but does require some learning for both the watch and the companion software. The lower-end Garmins (Vivoactive series) offer a lot of capability for a good price.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what to buy - I don't want a watch but I'm not sure the Oura Ring will give me the input I'm looking for.

For spin class and intervals.

Thanks

What input are you looking for? Without knowing that, we can't give you very helpful recommendations.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    ok. thanks all.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    Options
    Just an idea…if it’s expense, the used market may be flooded with Apple watches before Xmas, and there will be markdowns on the 4-6’s, since the 7’s start shipping soon.

I absolutely attribute much of my weight loss to mine, and I’m sure others here will swear to their own devices.

I like that it tracks exercise calories burned and steps taken reasonably accurately, closing the rings makes me accountable to myself, and the Challenges function has definitely upped my game.

We are so blessed in some regards with the technological marvels at our disposal.