Stinkin' Thinkin' - when will it stop???

Options
One would think that shedding over 100 pounds, having one's husband refer to them as "arm candy," and being in the best shape of one's life would somehow help a person look in the mirror and not be depressed by what they see; however, I can't seem to get over the idea that I am homely (or at the very least quite plain) and awkwardly shaped.

When will my brain get over the stinkin' thinkin' that defined my view of myself for so long?

What will it take?

I know that I am healthy and strong and yet I feel so... gross.

I see blotchy skin and a pointy chin and loose skin and stretch marks and awkward height and, even though I know logically that I also have a relatively tiny waist and long legs and straight teeth and other good qualities, I can't get it through my head that these good traits aren't completely overshadowed by my flaws.

One of my MFP friends posted something today on self-esteem (wonderful post --- http://www.isthisbliss.com/?p=297) and it was beautiful and profound and I wholeheartedly agree and yet... I can't seem to "get it."

How do you overcome this? What do YOU do to build self-confidence?

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    It will stop when you make it stop.

You need to take some time to sit down and identify those negative things that you say to yourself. Write them down. Every single one. And then cross them out, and replace them with their positive, and TRUE, opposite. Get in the habit of changing those thoughts every time you think them. If your mind says you don't look good today, find something about yourself that DOES look good and focus on that (and if you really don't because you're wearing crappy clothes, put on some clothes that make you feel good about yourself!). Find some affirmations that you like (you can find them online, or create your own) and say them, out loud, to your reflection each day. Preferably in the morning.

For what it's worth, I think you are adorable. You have beautiful hair, and your smile is so lovely. Are you perfect? No. But perfect is boring. You have a lot going for you. :)
  • Sissy4EverX3
    Options
    Your post caught my attention because the "Stinkin' Thinkin" is exactly something we're covering in my college Life Skills class right now. And, I hate to say this, I haven't caught on to it yet. I've lost 60lbs (maybe more by now, I haven't stepped on the scale recently) and I SEE the beautifulness, but I DON'T BELIEVE IT. It's helping, too, that I've found new friends who constantly tell me I'm beautiful. The company you keep really does play a part.

Best of luck to us all!! BECAUSE WE'RE WORTH IT!!
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Oh honey, honey, honey.

Let me tell you what I see....

A beautiful woman with an adorable face, a strong, lean body, and an amazing smile. I know people have a tendency to focus on all the negatives, and that will never completely go away, but how you view yourself is TOTALLY up to you.

Blotchy skin? TOXINS being release from exercise and water consumption. WIN.
    Pointy chin? STRONG JAW used for speaking in favor of yourself. WIN
    Stretch marks? Badge of HONOR...you brought a beautiful life in to this world (ok, it's the truth, but you'll never love them. Move on to acceptance!) WIN
    Awkward height? MODEL HEIGHT!!!! WIN!!!

Own yourself honey. You have to choose every single day to praise yourself because you worked HARD to get where you are. You are no longer the fat girl...you are the ROCKIN SKINNY CHICK!!! OWN THAT!!!!
  • hungrymarathongirl
    Options
    bump
  • alicollins74
    alicollins74 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post and for that link...it was very good to read. I am working on being 'happy'...I don't have the answers but I am trying...

My quote of the day is this: "Before you can be anything to anybody, you must become everything to yourself" - Taylor Thornton

This fits in perfectly w/ this post. Congrats on losing over 100 pounds...that is my goal as well...I am half way there.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I know this is hard. I lost 90 pounds before I had my last baby and even after losing the weight I couldn't 'see' myself as thin OR healthy for some reason. I completely understand where you're coming from. This sounds corny but I tell myself every day that I am beautiful. I stand in front of the mirror in my underwear and I look at all of my stretch marks and my I tell myself that I'm beautiful. In reality, I'm no super model but ya know what? I have amazing green eyes and a nice smile. I have perfect teeth and I'm smart as hell. Most importantly I have a great personality and that in itself makes me beautiful.

It's not about the weight you've lost. It's about what's inside that now-skinny person. And if it takes you looking at your imperfections and telling yourself that you're beautiful despite them - then do it!
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    You are perfect. And beautiful. And normal, because none of us think we are. How can we with airbrushed cartoon women splashed all over magazines and stuffed down our throat as the definition of beauty. Blah. The piece we have control over is how much we buy into it AND the value we place on it. That's yours to do. I felt much better about myself when I began BELIEVING that everyone is so focused on themselves that they really don't even NOTICE if we are fat, having a bad hair day, have a big nose or are wearing mismatched shoes, much less remember at the end of the day. The only thing I take home with me is the memory of how it felt to sit in the same room with someone. I tell myself that every day, and it works.
  • nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    Options
    As much as it took you to make the change about your wait, change the way you look too. Maybe buy some facial cream to help out with your skin. Try dying your hair a different color. Try some new techiniques with your make up. And best of all, by something really sexy that compliments you and you feel good.

I understand sometimes it is hard to feel as confident as you should. I tend to change something about myself and then pick myself apart somewhere else. Relax, it is not as nearly as bad as YOU think it is.

When you wake up tomorrow point out something you like about yourself instead of something you dont.

Good luck.
  • sarahsmithard
    Options
    The best phrase I have learned over the past few years,
    "and is that true?"
    Ask yourself this in all of the areas that you struggle and it will indeed show you the truth....
  • JRMcCaghren
    Options
    I'm actually the opposite. I never see a fat guy when I look in the mirror, but the scale says otherwise. I'm not sure how you can stop this, but I will say your picture is very nice. I would recommend going shopping. For me, I realize how fat I am (I just joined a week ago) when I'm trying to find clothes that actually fit and look good. I think if you go shopping you will realize: 1) how you can fit in the nice looking clothes again; 2) how you look good in them. That is a day I'm looking toward, and by the way congratulations on the amazing weight loss!
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    There is truth to the phrase "beauty comes from within". I know some people that have "perfect" bodies, but horrible attitudes and personalities that MAKE them ugly.

You're already a beautiful person on the inside. Your hard work and tenacity at achieving health is beautiful.

God didn't make us all the same either. What one person sees as beautiful, another sees as ugly and unattractive.

If you have/had a daughter, would you tell her the things you're telling yourself? "Honey, you're really pretty, except for that pointy chin." or "Honey, you're so thin, but your skin makes you look awful." If you wouldn't tell it to her, why do you tell it to yourself?

FlyLady.net has a neat thing about stinkin' thinkin' and one of them is about "progress, not perfection". We're so busy picking apart the lack of perfection that we fail to see the progress. Start looking at the mirror and spend less time criticizing what you hate and start complimenting what you love and watch your WHOLE attitude change!

"My thighs are so much thinner now! I can actually fit into a pair of size 8 jeans!" (Instead of "My thighs are thinner, but look at this loose skin! Ick!"

"My hair looks really good today! I love the way the curls are framing my face, just like I want it to!" (Instead of "I don't like the way my chin looks.")

"My skin is a lot clearer today than it was yesterday. Success!" (Instead of "Why is my face always breaking out? I hate it!)

Negative self-talk only increases your feeling of negative self-esteem. Try reinforcing the positives instead!
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Boy can I relate to this. I happen to think that no matter how much weight I lose, I may look in shape but that won't change my overall physical looks. Unfortuantely, short of some medical intervention, that won't change. I guess I will have to live with it, and most days it's OK, but some days, well, it's just depressing.

I get into these places where I focus on the flaws, and don't see the good. Here's the thing, though. Those days don't happen all the time. They happen when I CHOOSE to NOT focus on the positive - whether its cuz of other things going on in my life, me not being challenged enough, me getting distracted, or any number of reasons. When I allow myself to break it down and realize what is causing the lack of self esteem, or letting the little bad guy in my head to take over, I then take control and can snap myself out of it. So, the answer to the question of when it will stop - I think the potential for it happening will always be there - it's just that you have to recognize the symptoms and addressing it before it becomes a problem. In other words, you are the only one with the power to stop it. As to how to overcome it, you just have to focus on the positive, and keep reminding yourself how far you have come and what new and positive changes you have made in your life. One possible strategy is to make a pact with yourself that everytime you get the ugly thoughts, you will do X which helps improve your self esteem.

I'm kind of scattered today, so this probably doesn't make sense but...The point of this rant is - A) We all can tell you how truly beautiful you are - and you are, but until you can embrace that fulltime, you won't believe it. You may not ever reach that point (I doubt I ever would), but if you can make a plan for the next step when you do feel the beginnings of going to those dark places, it may help you to either not go there, or at least to not be there for long.
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm going to be able to answer your questions, for a couple of reasons: first, that I'm male, and we don't think about ourselves the way women think about themselves; and secondly, because I'm 57 and you're about midway in age between my son and my daughter. I'm guessing that the thing for you to do is to look outward, and not spend time thinking about your appearance, but I doubt that works for a woman; looking (critically) at yourselves is just kind of what you all do. Listen to your husband, though, because he's being truthful; and you can even listen to me, twice your age and married for 36 years and therefore the perfect disinterested and objective observer: you are very beautiful. You are, in fact, what people often call "drop-dead gorgeous," which is a counterintuitive term since a man, seeing you, definitely does NOT want to drop dead. So rest assured that you're gladdening every eye that sees you, and then turn your attention to other things that interest you and that you find enjoyable.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I always feel like I still need to do more even when my wife says I lot really good. I now know that to be true. I get compliments all over my job, when I see my friends and church. So if everyone but me sees it, I need to learn to that I am alright. Now I walk tall and proud. Not conceited, just with an accomplished feeling. I still blush when the ladies at my job say something. My customers don't hold back on what they think. Enough to make everyone around them blush. Anyway, your hot and you did a great job. Now it's just believing it and acting it :) (Seriously though, really great job!)
  • jessbennett1986
    Options
    I think we can all relate to this. Due to society's perfectionistic models for commercials,tv, and movies we had developed an unrealistic idea on what perfect really is. I've noticed how makeup and facial cleanser commercials have women with perfect even skin tone promoting their products. It's a joke! Unfortunately this is how it is for everything. If they didn't have pretty skinny models or muscular good looking men, who would want their products? If you have always ben a perfectionist ( people pleaser and someone who has to excel at everything) then it will be hard to change your thinking because you are used to putting everyone else first. This is how I used to be. I hated myself even though I was shrinking. The thing is, you have to find out if the weight is what is really bothering you. Is it even your appearance? Or is there a different problem? Sometimes you will not get down to the bottom of it without a psychiatrist. I went to a few sessions and realized it wasn't even my appearance I hated, it was something else. I also read this book called hungry: a young models story of appetite, ambition, and the ultimate embrace for curves by crystal renn. This book helped me get some confidence and I highly suggest you read it! It's free to read from your local library. Good luck and stay strong!
  • cdstadt
    cdstadt Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    It may seem silly, but maybe do some pampering for yourself? New hair color or a new hair cut, nails a different color, switch up the makeup routine-- or implement one if there isn't one. I never used to be into girly things but I've discovered a new love for neutral nail polishes.

The beauty is there, sometimes you just need to play around with things yourself in order to feel comfortable in it!
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Man I wish I had a good answer for you, there are some really great ideas in this thread though. All I can really do is point out that you are your own worst critic. We all see things about ourselves that we think are horrible but that others may either not notice or actually like about us. Beyond that I'll just mention that I looked at your pics in your profile and say I really hope you can find a way to stop being so hard on yourself or obsessing over what you perceive as negatives. You look simply fantastic. You're beautiful and I can see why your husband is so happy. I hope that you can find ways to enjoy being who you are, you certainly have much to be proud of!!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies.

A couple of things I probably should have clarified - blotchy skin as in it looks red and white and is all freckled, not blotchy skin as in acne. Since I started my healthy lifestyle last year, my skin is vary rarely pimply.

Also, I did just get a sort of "makeover" - got a new hairstyle that I really do love - I chopped off nearly 12 inches and got highlights and lowlights and bought some clothes that fit and flatter.

It isn't that so much as it is that I spent my entire childhood being told (by my father, by friends, and once by a boyfriend) that I was the ugly one (my two older sisters are classically beautiful and look very little like me, and my female friends were always very pretty). Brilliant (no issues with confidence about my brain, since that was one compliment I've always been given... probably since I first started talking), but homely.

I know logically that I mostly grew into my features and am definitely not as awkward as I was as a child, but more than a quarter-century of negative thinking is a lot to get over.

I feel like, even when I get compliments, it must be "you look good COMPARED TO what you looked like before," not just "you look good. Period." It's hard to wrap my brain around.

Anyway, any additional suggestions on how to change this stinkin' thinkin' are greatly appreciated.
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Cory, I think you just hit the nail on the head. It's the many years of being told all of the negative things that is so hard to get over. I won't bore anyone with details, but suffice to say, verbal abuse is NOT an easy thing to get over, especially when it comes from people closest to us and especially when we are young and impressionable. After constantly hanving stuff ingrained in you day in and day out for many years, you actually start to believe the crap and it becomes a part of you. That's where the Good Sue (maybe the good Cory) comes in. It's like you have to relearn new behaviors and unlearn the old ingrained stuff - something that is difficult, if not impossible to do. That's where you muster all of the strength, the will, the positive strides that have made you the person that you are today, and you use that to counter the negative crap. I promised myself that I would never do to anyone, the things that were done to me. Now it's time to start promising ourselves, to be good to us, to celebrate all of the positive changes and the things that we have managed to overcome. We truly are our own worst enemies, and it will take us putting ourselves first, to really be able to see us for who we are - something that is very difficult for people who always put others first.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies.

A couple of things I probably should have clarified - blotchy skin as in it looks red and white and is all freckled, not blotchy skin as in acne. Since I started my healthy lifestyle last year, my skin is vary rarely pimply.

Also, I did just get a sort of "makeover" - got a new hairstyle that I really do love - I chopped off nearly 12 inches and got highlights and lowlights and bought some clothes that fit and flatter.

It isn't that so much as it is that I spent my entire childhood being told (by my father, by friends, and once by a boyfriend) that I was the ugly one (my two older sisters are classically beautiful and look very little like me, and my female friends were always very pretty). Brilliant (no issues with confidence about my brain, since that was one compliment I've always been given... probably since I first started talking), but homely.

I know logically that I mostly grew into my features and am definitely not as awkward as I was as a child, but more than a quarter-century of negative thinking is a lot to get over.

I feel like, even when I get compliments, it must be "you look good COMPARED TO what you looked like before," not just "you look good. Period." It's hard to wrap my brain around.

Anyway, any additional suggestions on how to change this stinkin' thinkin' are greatly appreciated.

It is hard to get over mental habits that have been cultivated over a couple of decades. Believe me, I know. That's why it's so important to take an active role in changing your thinking. It won't just go away, any more than the weight just fell off. It takes hard work to change yourself, whether you're trying for a physical change or a mental one. But just as you knew it was worth it to work hard to get in shape, it's SO worth it to work to change your thinking. The mental shift might even be more important than the physical one.

What I said earlier, about how adorable you are? That's from your NOW picture. I don't know what you used to look like. So... there's that. :)