Eggs & Cholesterol....UGH!!

Options
Morning everyone!!

So I had breakfast aaaaaand....I am already over my cholesterol by 180!!! WTF???

I try to reduce the amount of times I eat eggs, for this same reason, but when I do, and I see those numbers in red, I just get a little irritated....

Just needed to vent! :explode:

Replies

• stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Eggs are good for you. Don't worry.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Many studies have debunked the "eggs are bad" myth. Eat them and enjoy!
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters.

^^This, they're just like eggs only better!
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs almost every day sometimes even twice a day, and I haven't have any problems. Just becareful if you already have high cholesterol or cholesterol history. otherwise enjoy!
  • CheetoBandoto
    Options
    Take what I have to say with a grain of salt since I'm not the primary source, but a friend of mine goes to grad school for biology and all that wonderful stuff. He tells me that despite the high cholesterol content in eggs, they do not effect our cholesterol. I guess its one of those things our bodies make as much as it needs for itself and simply doesn't create excess. You're not stockpiling your cholesterol so don't worry about it. There are people out there who shovel eggs in daily and they're in great health! I've read about eggs not being connected to heart disease or any of its former stigmas at all in Men's Health and I've seen a few other statements like that in other media. But like I said, I'm no biologist so go research for yourself if you wish. :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters.

Except all of the nutrition is in the yolks! You aren't getting any of that in Egg Beaters. If you have naturally high cholesterol, EB are great but otherwise, eat the real deal.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    1. eggs are good for you...in moderation of course.

2. recent research has discovered that there is less cholesterol in an egg than previously believed (I just read about this yesterday). I'm not sure if MFP has updated its food diary banks to account for the change.
  • jhalton
    Options
    There are a lot of studies done that show eggs have nothing to do with high cholesterol. I eat 3-6 eggs a day and my LDL is is around 100. Enjoy your eggs, they are a great source of protein!
  • kfitz10103
    Options
    I eat 1-2 eggs everyday and my cholesterol is 89. LDL is 45 and HDL is 44. Don't believe the hype! Great source of protein and low calorie.
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    It's true what others have said. Cholesterol is not bad for you. (But keep in mind, some people have a genetic mutation which causes very high cholesterol levels; this is called cholesterolemia. If you have this, ignore what you read here and do what your doctor says !)

The *idea* that dietary cholesterol (that you eat) would raise your serum cholesterol (what gets measured in a blood test) was never carefully studied back in the old days : the "experts" just decided that it sounded so obvious that it must be true. In simple terms, all of the official and unofficial warnings we still hear about eating too much cholesterol are the result of a hunch that turned into policy that turned into dogma.

When scientists did get around to doing rigorous scientific studies, they found out a few surprising things. The cholesterol that you eat actually _regulates_ the cholesterol levels in your blood. Yes, the cholesterol in your food can actually lower the level of cholesterol in your blood if it is too high. The overwhelming, dominant source of cholesterol in your blood is carbohydrates. When your body sees a high glucose level (from digesting carbs) it responds by manufacturing cholesterol. The best way to lower your blood cholesterol levels is to cut way back on sugar and other processed carbs, and keep unprocessed carbs relatively low.

Don't forget, cholesterol is not "bad". Your body absolutely depends on it. Every cell in your body has an external membrane and many internal membranes. These are literally constructed of fats and cholesterol. Many of the hormones (signal molecules) that make life possible are built out of cholesterol. And so on. Think of all the healthy, strictly vegetarian animals (cows, sheep, goats, some humans) that take vegetable matter and painstakingly convert it into cholesterol. And when it comes time to feed their offspring, their bodies produce even more of it to to supercharge their milk to feed their offspring. And egg yolks are specifically optimised to provide a healthy diet to developing chicks.

We still are led to think that eating cholesterol is bad because of some bizarre policy mistakes from half a century ago. But careful science and even common sense indicates that this notion is baseless. Unless you have a genetic cholesterol-regulation illness, don't worry about eating cholesterol : if you want to improve your serum cholesterol levels and overall health, take a good hard look at the amount and quality of carbs that you eat.
  • jess213tx
    jess213tx Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Just eat egg whites. No cholesterol!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Eat one whole egg and then add as many egg whites as you want!
  • courtneyaleen
    courtneyaleen Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is what I do also: 3 egg white 1 yolk..I agree it doesn't make much diff in flav.
    I also enjoy throwing 2 TBSP of salsa on them. Yum , thats what Im going to have post work out today.
  • divegyrl
    divegyrl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters.

I have finally found egg whites in the UK and I love my omelettes for lunch,
    I also think that a poached egg for breakfast on toast with Marmite is a pretty healthy way to start my day.:wink:
    All things in moderation.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    The overwhelming, dominant source of cholesterol in your blood is carbohydrates. When your body sees a high glucose level (from digesting carbs) it responds by manufacturing cholesterol. The best way to lower your blood cholesterol levels is to cut way back on sugar and other processed carbs, and keep unprocessed carbs relatively low.

Well, it's actually OVER consumption of carbs, especially simple carbohydrates that will affect your levels....but only for a specific type of cholesterol....VLDL.

As for HDL and LDL, the primary dietary influence for these two indicators would be your saturated fat intake.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters.

Actually, they aren't. They are egg whites with food coloring.

Egg whites don't have near the nutrients that egg yolks have - so you are missing out on a ton of Omega 3's, vitamins and minerals.

They are high in cholesterol however. This is an everything in moderation thing - use 1 whole egg and a few egg whites for bulk - best of all the worlds. I'd just separate my own egg whites vs. egg beaters just because it's cheaper.

Here's a linky:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=92

Hmm, can't find the one I want comparing egg yolk to egg white.......but trust me all the vitamins are in the yolk. I'll keep looking.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Read up on Alan Aragon's articles about cholesterol. I've posted links before, too tired to post them again.

Dietary cholesterol has MINIMAL effect on your blood serum cholesterol. High LDL cholesterol is more hereditary than anything.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    Don't trip. Eat up.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Many studies have debunked the "eggs are bad" myth. Eat them and enjoy!
    This