Low carb/keto

Options
sobit1970
sobit1970 Posts: 39 Member
Does anyone follow low carb/keto only tracking calories and been successful?

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Well, whenever I need to cut, the carbs and alcohol are the first to go. And, it works, so long as your total calories are on or below plan. (The last part is key.)

But, I don't try to go ultra low, and that doesn't seem to matter that much.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit for weight loss, period. Track calories and find a way to stay within your calorie goal. Carb balance is personal preference - for satiety, medical issues, or fitness goals.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    @sobit1970

I do Keto, 15 net grams +/- 3 carbs/day and 1200-1000 calories, I don't really track the other macros. They fall where they fall, but decent amounts. I have dropped over 50 lbs since 5/3/21. I do exercise only on my off work days, 3x/week. I used to walk on those days 5 miles, till a rainy day. Then I tried my Elliptical again, after at least 6 years not using it, due to a bad leg fracture. I have since increased my time up to 130 minutes on those mornings, first thing.
  • sobit1970
    edited October 2021
    Options
    @swimmom_1 oh that is fantastic! I've been following keto low carb since April but other than the initial 12 lbs I lost my weight hasn't budged. Thinking I need to watch my calories more and worry less about macros and hopegully that'll help restart my weight loss. Please friend me :)
  • sobit1970
    Options
    @teabea I'm thinking that's my issue. I need to worry about only calories not everything else.
  • vanillasquishy
    vanillasquishy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm starting low carb, low sugar at my doctor's advice (I'm diabetic). Add me if you like.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Don't and never have done keto and never will. When I need to cut weight though, generally I reduce my carbohydrates as those are the easiest things to cut back on...ie skip the starch or grain with dinner and/or lunch, etc...cut alcohol, cut back on deserts, etc.

There are many highly nutritious sources of carbohydrates though so IMO, with keto you can easily miss out on a lot of good nutrition in regards to vitamins, minerals, fiber, etc. Ultimately, the calories are what matter regardless of what diet plan you are on. Calories are a unit of energy and when you consume energy in excess of what you need, you will gain weight. When you consume energy commensurate with your needs you maintain weight. When you consume energy in a deficit of what your body needs, you burn fat stores (stored energy) to make up the difference and you lose weight.
  • danishgirlagain
    danishgirlagain Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem with lchf is trying to get enough fibre. You have to eat a LOT of lettuce to get anywhere near enough.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem with lchf is trying to get enough fibre. You have to eat a LOT of lettuce to get anywhere near enough.

High fiber will net you lower carbs....avocado, cauliflower/broccoli, kale, chia & flax seed, asparagus
  • MK2326
    MK2326 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This plan seems to work the best for me…but I have trouble sticking to it be I tend to stress eat carbs. Going for consistency this time around.
  • DyanasLBSGoingDown
    Options
    I do keto. I find if i follow my macros and stick to my ratios 5%carb, 70%fat, 20%protein the calories always fall in place. Unusually I'm under. The best advice I got was 2 things... 1)pay attention to ratios/macros, not calories 1st...because eating healthy keto your calories fall in line. 2) don't cheat with carbs and sugar. Keto isn't like other diets you can't plan a cheat day and expect to remain in ketosis. Remaining in ketosis is the goal. I eat under 10g sugar a day and thats from vegetables ect. Once I got over the hump of the 1st week and truely reached ketosis it became MUCH easier. This was because I generally felt A LOT better. I wasn't fatigued anymore, my migraines (Ive had for decades) were gone, my arthritis pain was knocked down a ton because my body's inflammatory response went down substantially. Plus my mood improved, my hormones improved and fell in line, (another long standing problem).
    However, Bottom line is you have to diet the way that works best for you. If you can't give up the carbs/sugar you shouldn't do keto, if you cheat on the carbs (especially at the beginning) your system will not produce the keytones your looking for by doing keto. After all doing keto
    trains your body to burn fat NOT carbs/sugars for fuel. Your body after a lifetime of sugar and carbs wants to run off that because you've tought your body to run off it. It takes a little time to retrain it.
  • JodieHut
    JodieHut Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I love DLK (dirty lazy keto)... been doing it since May and have lost 50 pounds (still have 60+ to lose). I log my food every day on MFP to keep track of my total calories. I try to keep my net carbs between 30 and 40. MFP doesnt calculate net carbs, but its easy to figure out. I have totally cut out sugar from my diet.... no candy or sweets at all. I do use sugar substitutes in moderation. I havent done any exercising yet, but I know that I need to before my muscles wither away!

I feel really good with this WOE... my hunger is very satisfied and have virtually no cravings. Keto is not for everyone, but I am glad I tried it! :)
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    @sobit1970
    Hi! How are you doing? Did you make any changes? I'm now down 69.2 lbs of the 133 lbs I want to drop. Upped my Elliptical this past Saturday to 150-153 minutes on my 3 off work days, for 12 miles. I need to start doing abdominal crunches on my exercise ball as my abdomen is abominable! Also need to start squats as my butt is smaller but flabby and I sit on my tailbone now! OUCH!
    Here's wishing you success!!!!
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I get high fiber from low carb/ high fiber bread, berries and konjac rice or noodles and vegetables etc .I eat an apple occasionally.