Choosing to Sweat over Socializing

Options
I wasn't sure where to post this but I am curious how many other people are like me. I could go to my gym for 10 years and only know about three people because I deliberately don't make eye contact and keep my headphones in. I have only one interest in being there and that is to have a good non interrupted work out. We live in a town where everyone wants to know everyone's business and I know many other gym goers perceive me as being unfriendly, My husband and I usually go there together and he talks to everybody so I just say a quick hi and walk away and get to work somewhere else. I am respectful to other peoples space and observe gym manners I'm just not a chatty Kathy.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I am like you. I will say hi to people but when I am in the gym it is all business.
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize. There are times when I want a walking partner to chat with to distract me from how hard the workout it. Other times, I need the quiet and focus to be able to keep my mind on the prize...and maybe work out some of my private thoughts and frustrations.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I dont talk to anyone,but my gym does not seem to be full of overly talkative people either
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I don't make direct eye contact with anyone..I don't want to make friends, I don't need to know who the regulars are. I just keep my head down and bust my *kitten*. I have a time limit, and i don't want it sucked up by mundane social chatter that I don't really care that much about.
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    That's how I usually am. After I work out, I'll be friendly but while I'm in there all I can think of is, "I'm not here to make friends."
  • CorrieV1976
    CorrieV1976 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I get right to business......no chatting.....
  • acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    For me, exercising is a solitary activity. I am not an extremely social person to begin with, but when I'm working out I don't like to talk or feel like I have to entertain anyone else in any way! The only time I may socialize is before a class at the gym begins, and normally that's only if someone else initiates the conversation. Don't feel bad! Exercising is all about you and your body, after all :)
  • PeachCruiser
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I am relieved to know its not just me!
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I think the only thing I have ever said to anyone at the gym has been "You done with that?". (Refering to a machine and/or barbell).
  • irisherin82
    irisherin82 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly like you, I prefer to put my headphones in and get my workout done. I'm not a big socializer at the gym and it drives me nuts when someone wants to sit there and talk about anything and everything. I know they are being nice, and I'm being nice by responding but really I like gym time to be "me" time, which I enjoy quiet, music or reading the subtitles for a show I might enjoy. I love to enjoy the sauna, go in there and sit for about 20 mins or however long I can stand it (the quiet and relaxing part of the sauna is great), I usually leave if or when someone comes in that wants to talk up a storm with someone else that might be in there at the same time.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm Captain Oblivious at the gym. I focus on what I'm doing and nothing else. I walked right past my own sister without noticing her once!
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    when I do go to the public gym its straight to the tradmill, headphones in, and get it on. People I know will walk by and I give them a nod , I get the occasional smile when a female walks by, so I smile back, but I am there to accomplish my goal for the day nothing else. When I am done, i pack my bag and go home. I dont think I am being rude and most who know me have seen me there enough to know I am there for one thing only.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I wasn't sure where to post this but I am curious how many other people are like me. I could go to my gym for 10 years and only know about three people because I deliberately don't make eye contact and keep my headphones in. I have only one interest in being there and that is to have a good non interrupted work out. We live in a town where everyone wants to know everyone's business and I know many other gym goers perceive me as being unfriendly, My husband and I usually go there together and he talks to everybody so I just say a quick hi and walk away and get to work somewhere else. I am respectful to other peoples space and observe gym manners I'm just not a chatty Kathy.

The only time I'm OK with ppl talking to me is if I'm doing light cardio. If I'm doing anything else & I get super annoyed.
  • spyork
    spyork Posts: 187
    Options
    I agree, stick to the business of getting fit and if you have to chat do it after the workout, in the bar (drinking fresh orange).
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    When I went to the gym(no longer do) I was like you...Im here for 1 reason..........WORKOUT! I put my head phones on, and thats was that!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Well I work in a gym so I HAVE to socialize, but when in workout mode, I do it till I'm done.
  • shrekk218
    Options
    The day after someone talks to me in the gym I have a shirt that I wear to discourage conversations again it might be rude but it is MY time and it is precious.

The shirt reads Shut Up And Train
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i will laugh and chat before and after zumba class , but just working out not at all.
    i go into a "zone" and really there was a post yesturday about being 'checked out' and i said
    nope never happened to me. but honesly i wouldnt know, i am pretty oblivious to that sort of thing
    at best, but when working out in my 'zone' with my music going , or tv show on my phone (for elliptical) i would never know
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Me too. I'm on a mission, and don't get in my way. I'll socialize later...maybe:)
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    The day after someone talks to me in the gym I have a shirt that I wear to discourage conversations again it might be rude but it is MY time and it is precious.

The shirt reads Shut Up And Train
    I have a similar shirt I wear when training with my canoe racing team... It reads "Shut up and paddle" (See ticker below)