Reduce/cut out the sodas

2»

Replies

• ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 353 Member
    I swapped to these:

https://www.amazon.com/Bubblr-Antioxidant-Sparkling-Variety-Twisted/dp/B096GB9VKQ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=bubbl'r&qid=1634047386&sr=8-1&th=1

We sell them locally so they are much cheaper at the store, but still a bit spendy at $5/6 pack.

Contains much more flavor than La Croix (how do we not have a sick emoji) and others. To me, it is almost like a sparkling juice. Contains some caffeine, is carbonated and has a lot of flavor. :)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,976 Member
    i use 2 drink 4-6 cans of soda and 3-4 cans of beer EVERYDAY. Stocked them in my frig by the case.

That was up to 1200 useless cals of soda and beer that I drank daily. No wonder that I got fat!

Went cold turkey and stopped doing that about 6 yrs ago and immediately lost 40#s from 200 to 160 where I still am now

I still do not drink any soda (have no desire for it) but I do have a draft beer occasionally when I eat out bit always log the cals for it when I do.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I did some experimenting for what my "trigger" was with soda. Tried diet (yuck), flavored waters, flavor additions (like Mio), and then fizzy waters. Found out the fizz was more my trigger than anything - don't even need or want the sweet flavors, just bubbles. Once I figured that out, it was pretty easy to give up pop.

Mind you, still have some on occasion (fridge full of it for free at work doesn't help LOL), but I still will grab fizzy waters far more frequently than pop (thankfully they also supply La Croix in a few flavors).

Get yourself a Sodastream and you can fizz up cold tap water. I use extracts to add flavor (orange, lemon, lime are easily found at your local grocery in the spice section) and you can adjust the flavor to taste. Even with the price of the extracts and replacement CO2 cannisters I pay less than half of what I would by buying canned or bottled seltzer. Helps that there is no waste and no hauling cans or bottles from the car either.
  • Butt_Snorkeler
    Butt_Snorkeler Posts: 167 Member
    I love soda, but after trying some zero calorie options, I found I may just love anything sweet and carbonated.

A few alternatives that keep it bubbly:
    *flavored sparking water
    *zero or low calorie energy drinks (just water + chemicals)
    *club soda + zero calorie syrups most often used for coffee (my personal favorite to experiment with for night time movies. For ex: i found tgat putting caramel syrup in it makes it taste like creme soda)
  • 2022calendarDad
    2022calendarDad Posts: 3 Member
    I cut out sodas completely about 2 or 3 years ago. I was consuming a 2 liter bottle of diet coke everyday by myself. I first switched to a carbonated water and then to only water with an enhancer like Mio. Today it's all I drink with the exception of a 24oz coffee every morning
  • danikat15
    danikat15 Posts: 98 Member
    I used to drink several sodas a day. Then I had my wisdom teeth taken out and couldn't drink it for a couple of weeks. And I kept that up for 6 months until I eventually caved.

Then I would only have a can of soda a day (or the largest coke from McDonalds because that stuff is magical!). And I've slowly cut that down to having an occasional can every couple of weeks. I drink a cup of black coffee every day so I think that helps a ton. I usually want it with certain dinners so I bought the 0 cal sweet tea squirt thing from Walmart. Certainly not the best option but I figure it keeps me from reaching for a coke.
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    I had to give up diet pop because it was one of my "trigger" foods. The sweet taste left me craving more sweet or salty foods and the pop upset my stomach when drank alone so had to eat something with it. In a week dropped 3 pounds with no other changes in diet.

A year and a half later, I occasionally drink MT Dew zero, RockStar Zero Sugar or diet ginger ale. Mostly I drink unsweetened ice tea and water. In the winter drink light roast coffee or Crio Bru in addition to water. Noticed that the persistent plaque in my mouth practically disappeared when switched from diet soda to tea and water.