Hello

Options
Thought I would introduce myself. I live in the South East UK and I am a man. My weight has crept up over the past few years and my fitness has gone deep south. My stick thin wife suggested I might have diabetes, and sure enough I just had a type 2 diagnosis, though barely over the threshold. Anticipating this I started a weight loss and fitness programme just over 3 weeks ago recommended by my doctor.

My starting point was 135.7kg (299 lbs) which was the heaviest I have ever been. I'm just over 6' 2" tall and quite broad shouldered, and my target is 95 kg (209 lbs) which I hope is realistic. So far I have lost 7.7 kg (17 lbs) through doing my best to count calories, which I have never done before. I want to get a good way there by mid-January 2022.

Secondary goals - or maybe the primary goal really - is drastically to improve my fitness and alleviate joint pain and breathlessness. I would also like to look a lot better and have clothes fit. Having shed nearly 10% of my bulk so far, I can see benefits emerging.

I'm not great at using the MFP database, partly because I do all of our food shopping, preparation and cooking using fresh ingredients rather than pre-packaged food and it is quite fiddly calculating calories accurately. I am also wondering if the protein / carb / fat percentages in the database are correct as they are at times materially at variance from other sources of data. In the end it doesn't matter much as long as the weight keeps going down.

I am aiming at staying below 2000 calories per day. This is gross figure as I disregard exercise as it is too tricky for me to calculate that on the ap presently.

Anyway, that is my introduction. Hello!

Replies

• revinso
    revinso Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Interesting that most of the hellos and introductions here get no response. Maybe this forum is not very active?
  • tinabug11
    tinabug11 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi revinso, I live in California, USA, near the San Francisco Bay. It's nice to meet you. I commend you on your goals and achievements so far. It is no small feat to lose 10% of one's body weight. Kudos to you.

I have lost 13 pounds (5.9 kg) in the last 3-4 weeks by intermittent fasting. I use the MFP app to log food and exercise and I don't worry so much about the accuracy. Like you, as long as I'm losing I'm good with it. I do consider these to be "ballpark" figures but I'm ok with that. I don't try to stay under my calorie limit, but try to keep near it. I mostly try to keep my protein per meal at half the level of my carbs. I too have Type 2 Diabetes, but it is diet controlled - no medication. This 2:1 ratio of Carbs:Protein was recommended by a registered dietician at the diabetes education center I attended.

I do create my own recipes and log them, as I cook a lot and find that to be more accurate than what other people have entered. Also, if there is a green checkmark next to a food in the database, it has been "verified" as accurate by MPF staff, which I find to be helpful. I always check data if other members have submitted it.

My goals are more health-related than weight-related, but if I had to put a number to it I would say I need to lose 42 pounds to get to a healthy weight. I'm already seeing improvements in mood, stress level, better sleeping and better brain function, just from my walking routine.

Nice to meet you, revinso. I wish you the best on your journey and look forward to hearing more about your experiences.
  • revinso
    revinso Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you too. I think we have a similar outlook. I shall have to look out for the green tick marks as I am finding the calories all over the place - so for example large hard boiled eggs showing fewer calories than medium sized ones. Best wishes, Adrian