what do you do on days when you're constantly hungry

Options
I'm really hungry today. Just so hungry. Food is all I think about right now. I've tried drinking a lot of water, chewing gum..it's just not working. I'm so hungry. I'm not working out today either, as today is my rest day and am trying really hard to stay within calories. Do you listen to your body and eat or what should I do?

Replies

• ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I just try to eat lots of low cal things when I fee like that. Soups good
  • Frances_C17
    Frances_C17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I always get really hungry a day or two after a really hard work out. So I tend not to eat all my exercise calories on the day I burn them but save them for a rest day, only if I feel like I need them though.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'll look at my activity and food for the prior couple of days and if i came in under I'll go over without feeling bad. I get this on days, in particular, when I've really worked out hard the day before. If it's a "rest" day and I feel I have to justify it I'll do something that i don't normally do to get a little burn. Also, make sure that when you do it, you do it smart (meaning, wise choices).
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    That is most days for me. I was thinking about this earlier. I am maintaining now, but maintenance at my size is 1500 cals plus exercise, and the thought of eating that for the rest of my life frankly brings me out in a cold sweat. I feel like I have been hungry for the last 8 months.
  • kendib
    kendib Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    On days like this, I find that soup and other things will fill me up but not satisfy that urge to eat and my mind will think I'm hungry again in about 30 minutes when I know I shouldn't be hungery. I tend to want something crunchy. I would love to have chips or something equally unhealthy. So instead I lean towards fresh veggies, they fill be up and give the crunch that I was looking for.

Nuts are also a good way to fill up put if you are in the mood to eat, the calories can get away from you if you don't watch your portion.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    On days like this I feel like your body is telling you something. I would maybe switch my calorie goal today as to maintain, and then eat a little more. Your body is talking to ya! Answer it! Just with some filling healthy choices. :-)
  • leilani♥
    Options
    I eat. I stick with healthy choices though.
  • h0taru
    Options
    If you are very hungry, it is probably because your body needs more?

You can feed it ( not too much of course) more for one day.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    First I'd ask myself if I'm really hungry, or I just want to eat for the sake of eating. If I was really hungry, I'd eat or drink something. I've found that a glass of chocolate soy milk or a can of V8 can really take the edge off between meals. They are mostly water so they fill you up quickly but they have more substance and are much more satisfying than plain water. And they are low calorie and contain nutrients.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I eat. I don't gorge on crap, but I eat. If I drink water, wait 20 mins and I'm still hungry -- well, I've learned that it is genuine hunger and my body is telling me it needs food. Sometimes our bodies just need more food. I feel like if I'm that hungry - I need to eat.
  • emoritz2
    Options
    I find that when I'm in a mood to just shove stuff in my mouth (whether I'm hungry or not) that my best remedy is to consume hot liquids like low-cal/low-sodium soup, tea, even hot chocolate (which a cup of swiss miss is usually only around 120 calories). Something about all the warm liquid in my stomach will make me feel uncomfortable enough to not overeat too much.
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options
    bump
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    When I feel in that danger mode I resort to baked zucchini & squash casserole. Just cut up one each large squash & zucchini, top with herbs, a little parmesan cheese & feta, and a few grape tomatoes or salsa and mushrooms. Add a little water to the bottom so it doesn't burn, then add a small drizzle of olive oil. Bake about 25 minutes and the whole things isn't more than 200 calories & you're stuffed. That's how I've managed to stay within calorie goals late night--my most dangerous time. Otherwise I walk or get on MFP and write about stuff.
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry, you've got to eat, especially if you've tried water. That means you are actually hungry and not just dehydrated like they say. Vegetables are great on days like that... you can eat a lot of them for very minimal calories. I love cucumber! Maybe buy a veggie tray and snack here and there (between your regular meals) throughout the day. :happy:
  • MaryStregger
    MaryStregger Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Oddly, when I have a day like that, sushi tends to satisfy my hunger (nothing battered or deep-fried of course). Make sure that every calorie that you consume is a truly healthy one - I find that that also helps.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Add some extra protein and healthy fat, and avoid the carbs except for low cal veggies. Go work out so that you can earn some extra cals.

Good luck.
    God bless!
  • PlumLovin
    Options
    I find that when I'm in a mood to just shove stuff in my mouth (whether I'm hungry or not) that my best remedy is to consume hot liquids like low-cal/low-sodium soup, tea, even hot chocolate (which a cup of swiss miss is usually only around 120 calories). Something about all the warm liquid in my stomach will make me feel uncomfortable enough to not overeat too much.

I feel the same way today but I think it's because it's cool & cloudy which immediately makes me want to bake & eat!! The hot chocolate or coffee thing usually works for me too. I have a pot of coffee brewing as I type!
    Good luck, just don't eat something crazy and you will be totally fine!!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    If it is in those days of the month, I normally just give in and eat more. If not, I try to fight back by drinking more water, green tea and a cup of black coffee.
  • LJA1968
    LJA1968 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Had a day like that this week. With me, if I'm hungry, I eat. Just spread the calories out more through the day.

Love the squash recipe