“Why didn’t I lose weight?!” Ok. I know. And I’m an idiot

Options
I thought I did well. I got some exercise everyday of the week and I thought I stayed within my calorie range. At least close to it. I felt really confident that after all the sweating I did. All the exhausting workouts! That that would net me a pretty solid weight loss. And I mean…I didn’t go all out on any of these days the past week and just stuff my face carelessly.

I get on the scale. Moment of truth. Expecting something damn good. And I see… +5 lbs. What…the hell. Makes no sense. None. I’m like standing there getting on and off the scale like 5 times and grumbling to myself in the bathroom “I would get up before working everyday and go for a walk. Then the next day I would do some workouts and burn a lot. I should have sweated off at last 5lbs. Not gained!”

It just made no sense. And I was pissed off and I felt like giving up in the bathroom standing over my scale because I gave it a real good shot. Maybe I’m just screwed? I’m meant to be fat.

I just wanted to confirm with myself how well I did so I opened my phone and I always promised myself that even if I was over my calories or ate too much. I’d log! So at least I would know what I ate and I could figure myself out. Well…I opened Apple fitness to check on my workouts and wow. Total, everyday I was burning about 3400 calories. My exercise ring was full. Lots of steps. I’m good.

Then I checked the lose it app. Oh man. Reality check. I looked at the graph for the past 7 days and I was in the red just about everyday. Yesterday I ate within my budget. Nice. But my sodium was super high like 5300mg. The day before I was over by 600 calories. I didn’t even realize that. Maybe I figured I’d burnt so many it was somehow ok? The past couple days were over. A lot. I vaguely remember seeing I burned a lot of calories on a workout, so I ate like 3100 calories. Lots of sodium too.

Just going over all my days it doesn’t feel like it matches my memory. I thought I did really well but most days I was over by at least a little bit and some a lot. And it made total sense why I saw what I saw on the scale. And I felt like an idiot. I’m glad I counted the bad days. I thought I had been going good for days in a row but the most days I stuck to my calories was 3. Then it was up and down up and down.

I don’t know? It just kinda shocked me. The whole thing. So now I’m making a hard rule to stick to my calories and don’t try to do these little justifications I do. “Well I worked out a lot so. And I sweat alot” or “oh well I did good yesterday” or “eating a bit over this one day won’t kill me”. Well it won’t but it’ll sabotage myself and if I keep doing that every single day, I won’t be losing anything! Real wake up call for me

Replies

• marius_paps
    marius_paps Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club of idiots 😜 (shakes hands)
    I'm happy to see I'm not the only idiot 🤣

Underestimation of calories burnt and underestimation of calories eaten are a surefire way to gain weight.

This is one of the reasons why I'm here.

If I'm very very active I think I deserve and can eat whatever I fancy. Wrong!

Gawd 3100 calories of workout? How long a workout is that?
    It'll take me 2+ hours to burn 2000...

It's so frustrating that our bodies are so energy efficient (like a handful of peanuts is half an hour walk). Argh!

Good luck and keep going
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I had to learn pretty early on to look at the weekly report to see what I was doing over a week and rely on that. I never tried to eat the same calories every day, but I cannot be relied on to keep the math for a WEEK in my head. And a hard ceiling on my calories (as well as a 'I will not eat less than this, NET') worked out ok.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options

Underestimation of calories burnt and underestimation of calories eaten are a surefire way to gain weight.

It's so frustrating that our bodies are so energy efficient (like a handful of peanuts is half an hour walk). Argh!

Good luck and keep going

I read it as calories they've burned total in a day and that's partially dependent upon size. I got a lot more calories from exercise when I was heavier - and just general life - since it takes more to maintain a heavier (or taller) size. If it's just exercise yeah, a lot. Daily burn for life + workout not too shocking. For me that's only a | 600/800 above daily activity. Still a lot but less 'I wanna die now'.

Also I would super like the impression we all get that 'worked hard, got very sweaty and tired' meaning we burned a ton of calories to go away. It's inaccurate but so, so hard to shake.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    My "I'm an idiot" thinking is, "I got a lot of exercise today; I don't need to finish my food log until tomorrow" - at which point I'd realize I'd gone over.
  • Caralarma
    Caralarma Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't eat exercise calories back. It's too hard to really get a true reflection of how many cals you burned so I would rather go a little bit over sometimes on days I exercise... but don't take the exercise cals too seriously.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Anytime I rely on exercise to lose weight...it goes slow. Not only do you think you burn more calories than you do... it will actually make you more hungry when you work out really hard and long. You would lose more weight fast by concentrating on your eating. Eat to lose weight. exercise to get fit and tone.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Anytime I rely on exercise to lose weight...it goes slow. Not only do you think you burn more calories than you do... it will actually make you more hungry when you work out really hard and long. You would lose more weight fast by concentrating on your eating. Eat to lose weight. exercise to get fit and tone.

Yep, this has been my experience!
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options

Good luck and keep going

I assumed OP meant they burned 3100 calories over the course of the whole day from living, which also included their calories burned during exercise. TDEE