Healthy Eating & Your Grocery Bill

Options

Replies

• MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    OK - in the continued spirit of veering off topic, I have a question for anyone in Australia or NZ: What is the average/on special price of lamb where you live? In the U.S., I buy imported lamb at Sam's Club, Costco, or sometimes Aldi for $5-6 USD per U.S. pound. In my head, I always imagine folks in NZ are getting lamb for pennies per pound and are sick and tired of eating it.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    OK - in the continued spirit of veering off topic, I have a question for anyone in Australia or NZ: What is the average/on special price of lamb where you live? In the U.S., I buy imported lamb at Sam's Club, Costco, or sometimes Aldi for $5-6 USD per U.S. pound. In my head, I always imagine folks in NZ are getting lamb for pennies per pound and are sick and tired of eating it.

I never see lamb at $5-6/lb. it’s never on sale. I’d stock up if it was. It’s always at least $9.99/lb for ground lamb. Forget chops or leg. I never buy it, but would at that price.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »

I never see lamb at $5-6/lb. it’s never on sale. I’d stock up if it was. It’s always at least $9.99/lb for ground lamb. Forget chops or leg. I never buy it, but would at that price.

Yeah, it might be cheaper at Costco, Aldi, etc, but at my grocery store, ground lamb is $10-12 per pound,
    and lamb chops are $20 per pound.
  • MsCzar
    Options
    Aldi lamb chops/butterflied cuts are $10 USD lb. Boneless leg is usually $5-$6 USD. If I haunt the meat counter, I can sometimes get boneless leg of lamb for $4 USD on it's last sell/freeze date.
  • MsCzar
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I don't know how you can call these imaginary scenarios...you must live a very privileged life. I myself live a privileged life currently, but I've also seen the other side, and there's nothing imaginary about it.

Not imaginary in macro - only re this thread which was intended as pre-weight loss vs. nutritional awareness/weight loss... not about rich vs. poor.
  • kenziestabes
    kenziestabes Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My only addition to this conversation: some people lump eating out and groceries into a single "food" budget, and some people include beer, wine, etc into their grocery budget. If you combine eating out, desserts, and drink items as part of your "grocery costs," it would make sense that eating healthy is cheaper. But when you're focusing on staple food items and perishable/whole versus nonparishable/processed snacks and meals... there's enough economic studies showing unhealthy= cheaper. This is ESPECIALLY true if you're only shopping for one or two people. This is mainly because perishable foods are more likely to be thrown out if too much is bought, or not buying in bulk leads to a higher cost per serving.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    My only addition to this conversation: some people lump eating out and groceries into a single "food" budget, and some people include beer, wine, etc into their grocery budget. If you combine eating out, desserts, and drink items as part of your "grocery costs," it would make sense that eating healthy is cheaper. But when you're focusing on staple food items and perishable/whole versus nonparishable/processed snacks and meals... there's enough economic studies showing unhealthy= cheaper. This is ESPECIALLY true if you're only shopping for one or two people. This is mainly because perishable foods are more likely to be thrown out if too much is bought, or not buying in bulk leads to a higher cost per serving.

This is what I was alluding to. If someone truly is living off of mostly pre-packaged low nutrient foods and they make the switch to largely whole foods and actually cooking, it is going to be exponentially more expensive to eat healthier.

Eating an already relatively healthful diet and cutting out sodas or ice cream or whatever and having a cost savings related to that isn't really what people are complaining about when they lament the cost of eating healthier.

I've also always had a separate eating out vs grocery budget. Grocery shopping and cooking and consuming whole foods is infinitely cheaper than eating out 1-3 meals per day. But I don't know that's so much a health thing as it is a convenience thing. My buddy eats out lunch and dinner pretty much every day and he's pretty choosey as far as nutrition goes...but he pays a fortune for the convenience.
  • MsCzar
    Options
    I include alcohol - or more specifically current lack thereof. Before monitoring my calorie intake, I would think nothing of having a glass of wine after dinner or ordering sugary cocktails when out with friends. Pizza with pals automatically meant ice cold beer. Once every calorie became dear to me, I almost never drink wine at home and stick to a single low calorie option when dining out or attending parties.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Not to mention that, in major U.S. cities, food deserts are a thing. Basically, there are entire neighborhoods which don't have a grocery store of any kind, budget or otherwise. The local 7/11 might have rice and beans, but it definitely has instant ramen. People in these communities may also not have reliable vehicles necessary to drive to the (not so) nearest grocery store. They do, however, live in walking distance from a McDonalds. So the hidden cost of eating healthy is: gas/petrol, a bus fare, a train fare, paying for an uber/taxi, buying and maintaining a vehicle, and/or time. The further away you live from a grocery store, the higher that hidden cost is.

Also, as I mentioned in a fit of frustration at the conflation of two - or more - issues here:

You need a stove of some variety, utensils and somewhere to keep them, electricity or gas, and somewhere to keep leftovers if you're making something like rice and beans. Also TIME to do that cooking, so I hope you're not working two jobs. Ie: You better not be in a situation where you're living in: a dorm room, a rented room, a shelter, out of your vehicle on the street.

My grocery budget being a middleclass family of 4 is not higher now that I am more nutritionally aware/having lost weight is not higher than being a middle class family of 4 when I was obese. My grocery bill did not change with a change in my weight loss, though I think a higher proportion of it goes to luxury type produce (see also 7.00 asparagus mentioned above).

My grocery budget/bill IS higher than when I was a 23 year old recent college grad with 2 little kids and broke as heck. I could tell you right now what I bought then and it wasn't totally unhealthy crap -because there was no room in that budget for cookies and ice cream and chips, it's just that there was very little room for any produce that wasn't carrots, potatoes, and an onion or much meat that didn't come out of a can, either. Heck, some of the food even tasted pretty good because even poor I was pretty darned privileged (car, apartment, job, knew how to cook and had a place to do it and store it)

Is... the diet I ate them terrible? No. I eat most of those main dishes today. They're comfort food things.

Still much, much less healthy - even broadly - than what I eat now.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Xellercin wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

It's very possible. I don't know where you're from, but in the USA when people lament the cost of eating healthy it is largely attributable to eating a diet consisting largely of very cheap packaged goods like Ramen or Mac 'n Cheese (as examples) and entering into the world of whole foods and cooking. A 24 pack case of Ramen Noodles costs about $2.50. The asparagus my wife just bought for dinner tonight was $6.99 for a small bundle. These are the things that many are looking at when they lament the price of eating healthier.

Basically transitioning from a junk diet to a largely whole foods, nutrient dense diet is expensive. Not to mention, people who live on these prepackaged foods are going to no nothing really about cooking with inexpensive staples like rice and grains and turning that into variety. It absolutely can be done, but most of these people have also never done much more than boil some water and throw a package of food into it. So that would be a whole other issue. My former boss ate Cheerios with milk for breakfast and a Cup 'O Noodles everyday for lunch and had takeout or fast food for dinner pretty much every night because he has no idea how to cook anything.

I never argued against any of that, I was specifically stating that the issue of poverty based food access, which I fully acknowledge are very real, and middle class bitching about expensive apples as an excuse for not eating well can both co-exist as realities.

I also take issue with your statement that transitioning from junk to whole foods is expensive. That entirely depends on what kind of junk the person is eating. A lot of middle class people are spending ENORMOUS sums of money on junk processed food. It's not by definition cheap to subsist on processed, prepared meals and snacks.

A woman complained to me about the astronomical cost of feeding her teenagers because of the amount of cereal, cookies, microwave popcorn, pizza pockets, pop tarts, granola bars, and pop that they go through. Her grocery bill was literally TEN times what ours is per person, and that wasn't including alcohol. That was just food.

So for some people, a switch to whole, healthy foods may be expensive, but for others, it could be a massive savings. Unhealthy junk isn't generally cheap. Only SOME unhealthy junk is very cheap. Likewise not all healthy food is expensive, but some of it very much is, like asparagus, which is why I haven't made asparagus since Christmas.

But it's totally apples to oranges to compare an expensive imported vegetable like asparagus to an ultra cheap junk food like ramen. Let's compare asparagus to equal weight in Bagel Bites and we'll see a different outcome.

Again, I'm not arguing at all against the very real problem of food insecurities and lack of access for healthy food among the poor. I would never ever say that this isn't an issue. I'm simply saying that there are tons of non impoverished people out there who could actually save money by choosing healthier options.

This is fair. My mom's grocery bill went up and the nutritional content went down when she had fewer people to feed on the same budget. Ie: The prepackaged tv dinners, snack cakes, and baked goods and snacks went from 'we get some of this once in a while' to buying a lot of it all the time.

The real thing I think is, though, most people who talk about the astronomical cost of feeding a family on a steady diet of convenience foods either:
    Lack the time and skill/knowledge to cook cheaper foods that still taste good
    or
    b-) know danged well how to make the grocery bill go down but don't wanna (kinda like people complaining that they're fat and knowing how to make that reverse but not really being ready to do those things)
    or
    c-) both of the above.

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    (For the curious), in my area you can usually get boneless skinless chicken breasts for close to $2/lb at several of the nearby main grocery stores, but it does require buying a fairly large package (something that might be a major hurdle if someone is living paycheck-to-paycheck).
    yirara wrote: »
    (For the curious), in my area you can usually get boneless skinless chicken breasts for close to $2/lb at several of the nearby main grocery stores, but it does require buying a fairly large package (something that might be a major hurdle if someone is living paycheck-to-paycheck).

Wow, $2 for a pound of meat! I do wonder what kind of life that animal had, and what the quality is. I know this is beside the question here, but it does make me wonder. Here, a pound of chicken breast is probably 5 Euro, and that's the cheap, poor stuff.
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    Wow, $2 for a pound of meat! I do wonder what kind of life that animal had, and what the quality is. I know this is beside the question here, but it does make me wonder. Here, a pound of chicken breast is probably 5 Euro, and that's the cheap, poor stuff.

I never see prices that low for boneless skinless chicken breasts here (South of Boston.) And very low prices for meat are generally "loss leaders" - sales the store loses money on designed to get people in the store.

But PP said "usually" so I'm guessing NOT a sale price.

for the curious...

Wegmans:
    rp0rjujb2ibw.png
    (note that the instacart prices for Wegmans are usually significantly marked up...more often than not they've been $2/lb when I've gone to get a pack)..
    (the large pack of boneless, skinless thighs is higher per pound, and smaller packages are significantly more per pound)
    It's not unreasonable though to think that it might be a (permanent) loss-leader-type item to pull people into the store to potentially impulse buy lots of expensive items. Their rotisserie chickens are also extremely cheap (and placed next to the super-ridiculously-over-priced store-made potato salad, etc). They also adopted Walmart's generic Rx pricing ($4/mo; $10/3mo) on a select drug list pretty early on. (in other words, they are indeed a believer in loss leaders).

ALDI:
    ff31uyhmm3tp.png
    maybe just the favorable logistics for being a massive global chain. Their stuff tends all-around tends to be high quality but very inexpensive.

PriceRite: (may have markup on instacart)
    4bqypm0gm2h9.png
    (quality can be an issue at this chain for various things. It's one place I refuse to buy frozen fish..almost all have so much TPP added that the thawed fish is incredibly soggy and all come from areas with known water quality and food safety issues. ..so not necessarily the greatest chicken sourcing).

My city has relatively short transit times throughout it's metropolitan area, including some of the outer suburbs and inner country with farms.. Food pricing probably benefits greatly from this.