Exercise and weight gain.

Options
okay i don't know if i am crazy but I swear i lose less or even gain the more i exercise.
last year between sept and dec i lost 40 some pounds minimal exercise.
for christmas i got a gym membership. stalled out completely (did not gain that that time, just stasis)
found this sight got even more into working out. discovered Insanity. weight went up and down like crazy.
the end of the week before last i injured my back at that time , i was a point where i had gained back to where i started here (have done that severla times since joining).
Last week I did no exercise , i lost 7 pounds.

this week, i have gotten back into are routine , though only low impact stuff, elliptical, some strength, and belly dance. tongiht will be zumba. since this weekend when i started i have.. gone up 3, down 3, up 2, and gone up inches in belly , hips , and thigh.

i mean do me this seem backassards., should i not lose better being more active, instead of losing better siting on my ever fat *kitten*??????

Replies

• stephqj
    Options
    It sounds like you're retaining water. Everyone knows sodium will make that happen, but so will exercise for a while. As you're building muscle (which definitely weighs more than fat), it can take a few weeks for your body to adjust. Sore muscles are from small tears, which need additional hydration to heal. Eventually your body will get used to it and speed up your metabolism to account for it. It can take as much as six weeks to adjust, so hang in there!
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i'm kinda with you right now. the last 2 weeks i lost 7 lbs. eating right and using the treadmill. mostly walking and some jogging. now this week i started crossfit and did it twice this week and have not lost a single pound since last thursday. i've actually gained a pound. i love crossfit, but i'm thinking that i should maybe put it off until i am skinnier or closer to where i want to be? i'm hoping that it's just my muscles retaining water because i've started a new, strenuous work out.
  • chocolattahottie
    Options
    I would love to know this too, whenever I lift weights, I get toned, but gain 5 lbs If I don't stick to a 1,200.00 calorie diet, I gain weight, so I guess this makes sense.

eh.
  • FitForeverAgain
    FitForeverAgain Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    How did sitting on your "ever fat *kitten*" work out for you before? You know the answer to this already. You need to work out to get fit. You said you've been big your whole life. Your body isn't used to working out, so it's going to screw with you a bit. Water retention is all this is. It is not a mystery, and your body is no different: Burn more than you take in and you will lose weight. It's that simple. There's no work around here. If you are following that formula you will lose body mass (the type you are gaining / losing is another whole diatribe). The fluctuations you are seeing are not due to some cosmic misalignment - you are not immune to the universal law of weight loss.

So, get back on that treadmill. Be patient. Keep doing it. It will work. Give it time. It won't happen quickly. There are no shortcuts. Good luck.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself too often, your body will naturally fluctuate during the week. Pick a day and weigh in once a week is enough.

Also fat weighs more than muscle remember so if you're building muscle at the gym your weight loss will be offset slightly xx
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Love your yorkie pics! :D (Avatar and banner)

*Ahem* As for the weight yo-yoing. I would imagine it is due to retaining water as well. Either from sodium or the additional water your body will keep to help support muscle. :D I would say give it awhile to adjust and also cut down on your sodium if you eat a bunch of it (this is something I have to fight myself... I love salt :P)
  • sexyminxinthemaking
    Options
    i have found the same i worked out loads last week and lost 1.6 pounds where as 3 years ago with no excercise just watching what i ate i lost 3 stone in 3 months how does this work
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    How did sitting on your "ever fat *kitten*" work out for you before? You know the answer to this already. You need to work out to get fit. You said you've been big your whole life. Your body isn't used to working out, so it's going to screw with you a bit. Water retention is all this is. It is not a mystery, and your body is no different: Burn more than you take in and you will lose weight. It's that simple. There's no work around here. If you are following that formula you will lose body mass (the type you are gaining / losing is another whole diatribe). The fluctuations you are seeing are not due to some cosmic misalignment - you are not immune to the universal law of weight loss.

So, get back on that treadmill. Be patient. Keep doing it. It will work. Give it time. It won't happen quickly. There are no shortcuts. Good luck.

actually lost the first 40 sitting on my *kitten*, and 3 years befor that lost 50 (gained it back, took a break from losing but was detrimined not to put it back on yeah that worked out)

but i really dont intend to stop working out as , i want the whole picture, weight loss yes, but fit too. which i have seen a big diffrence in my cardiovascular heath. used to 5 min on elliptical and hr would be aroudn 170, now it takes almost 20minutes at a higher level to hit 140.

oh and i dont do treadmills have a treadmill phobia.
  • FitForeverAgain
    FitForeverAgain Posts: 330 Member
    Options

I'd sit on my *kitten* until I was a buck ten, then start running and getting in shape.

actually lost the first 40 sitting on my *kitten*, and 3 years befor that lost 50 (gained it back, took a break from losing but was detrimined not to put it back on yeah that worked out)

but i really dont intend to stop working out as , i want the whole picture, weight loss yes, but fit too. which i have seen a big diffrence in my cardiovascular heath. used to 5 min on elliptical and hr would be aroudn 170, now it takes almost 20minutes at a higher level to hit 140.

oh and i dont do treadmills have a treadmill phobia.
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I tend to weigh myself 3-4 times/week even tho I shouldn't and usually during the week I'll be up 4-6lbs on any given day. For my "official" Saturday weigh-in so far, I've been dropping around 4-4.5lbs/week, so I just kind of shrug off what the scale says during the week.

Weighing in, especially when you have a lot to lose like we do, is definitely a teeter-totter effect. If you're eating and burning the proper amount of calories, it'll work out. I would recommend only weighing in once a week, but since I can't confine myself to doing that... :)

Good luck, we can do it!
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    was thinking back over this week, monday was up 3, tues down 3 , weds didnt weight , today up 2.
    sat 90 min on elliptical, sunday hour long run /walk (more walk, took my yorkie, short legs you know.) Mon.didnt work out.
    tues 1 hour gym (45 min ellip, 15 strenght.) weds (45 min ellip, in morning, belly dance evening )

Since i really have no intention of not exercising (maybe not be so psyco about it as i have in the past) as there are benefits other than and more important then just helping the pounds go, Maybe i should just lock up the scale.

theoreticaly it should all work out in the long run. shouldnt it?????????????????????
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The first questions I would ask are:

1) Are you eating back most of your exercise calories?
    2) Are you lifting weights

For my body type, if I don't eat back most of my workout calories, I actually stall and gain weight after a small loss because my body is in starvation mode and hangs on to everything I give it. It works better for me to eat frequently and small throughout the day, and I ALWAYS go over on my protein.

If you're lifing weights you could be adding muscle, which weighs more than fat. So, if that's the case, be patient and drink lots of water, and eventually your body will equalize.

Hope that helps.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Yeah...I haven't been losing anything at all while working out and eating healthy. But I usually don't lose anything either while sitting around...then again I don't usually sit around I try to always workout...
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    The first questions I would ask are:

1) Are you eating back most of your exercise calories?
    2) Are you lifting weights

For my body type, if I don't eat back most of my workout calories, I actually stall and gain weight after a small loss because my body is in starvation mode and hangs on to everything I give it. It works better for me to eat frequently and small throughout the day, and I ALWAYS go over on my protein.

If you're lifing weights you could be adding muscle, which weighs more than fat. So, if that's the case, be patient and drink lots of water, and eventually your body will equalize.

Hope that helps.

1. i would have to say , most day no, somtimes yes but for the most part no. i exercise mostly after work ( well was at lunch and after work) so i cant get it in after that and stay below my carbs. I should probably plan for it knowing my average burn for diffrent activities. i dont know, the thought of eating too much still scares me.
    2. yes to weights, its my reward for getting in my cardio.
  • sld_6001
    sld_6001 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Love your reply! You are totally right!
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    In your case, it seems as though not exercising is definately better. For the rest of us, it works. LOL

Having said that, in your case, it seems like you stalled and then took a break and then lost weight. This is not surprising.

Also, in our case, maybe best to focus on inches for a while.

Okay, but seriously, in order to avoid the sort of insanity you are experiencing, before I started strength training, I bought the most fabulous body composition scale EVER EVER. Now when the scale goes up and down, I have facts baby!!!! My scale shows me body fat, water, and muscle percentage as well as bone density. AND IT IS VERY ACCURATE AND USER FRIENDLY! I love it!!! I can see fat down and muscle up. I can see water up and down. I weigh all the time and find security in gaining knowledge about the up and down cycle of the day/week/month. Got it on Amazon for about $40. It is OZERI TOUCH. I didn't need this scale. No one does. But it is great, I must say. Also it can be used by up to 8 or so different folks. You input your info (age, height, weight, etc.) and then thereafter it recognizes you via your weight. You have to weigh without socks and place your feet over the sensors.

Go get 'em!
  • harpospeaking
    Options
    I lost four pounds the first two weeks of dieting and exercising and then it all came back in the third week. I panicked at first but then realized that I had not been eating four pounds worth of calories in one week. I figured it was the weight lifting that was making me retain water. I'm hoping it will subside in two more weeks. I've lost two inches from my waist, a half inch on my calves and arms, and a half inch from my thighs. The tape measure is keeping me motivated more than the scale.
  • fit443
    fit443 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of not tracking for weight - especially in the beginning. After almost two weeks of tracking, and almost a month restricting my calories, I'm watching the bouncing scale, but realizing, more importantly, that I am low in calcium and healthy fat almost every day. I'm trying to keep my head in the long picture. A friend encouraged me just yesterday, saying that the weight didn't go on fast, so why should hit come off fast? long term, right? It's just the fear of the possibility of not changing, and that will only happen if I quit.