How do I do this without failing?

Options
I need support, I need to lose 20 pounds in a reasonable amount of time while still not feeling hungry, I do walk throughout the day but I overeat and I need to fix that.

Replies

• hdriding75
    hdriding75 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Mike. To answer your question. Failing is gonna happen we all fail. The only way to succeed is to keep going at it. I was 300 pounds and failed at every diet I tried I found something rhat worked for me and just kept with it. I still fail doing what I'm doing but start over as soon as I can. Good luck. Add me as a friend if you'd like. I can always use the motivation.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,293 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Start a food diary and don’t stop. Get a food scale to crunch the numbers. Use measuring cups for liquids. Use the MFP calculators to calculate a calorie deficit of 1/2 lb per week and try to hit your number. You’ll soon find that you have a better chance to hit your number if you have a plan.

Keep your food diary no matter what. Over your number? Log it and keep going. Crazy over? Log that too. You only fail if you quit. Don’t equate missteps with failure. There are lots of ways for things to go awry, poor planning, loss of concentration due to fatigue, even math mistakes or misread menus or NI. Just make sure to keep logging everything you eat and drink with calories. If you find your plan isn’t working, make it better. Weight loss is mostly about problem solving and persistence.

Set up regular weigh ins and track your progress. Don’t expect a straight line to your goal. Sometimes the scale seems to have a mind of its own. Concentrate on what you can control.

Last thing- try not to concern yourself with how long it takes. You can probably count on that it will take longer than you would like. But calorie counting works. Stick with it and you will get there.

Really last thing- don’t stop your food diary when you get to goal. Getting to goal is one thing, there is another. Give yourself lots of time to adjust. Good luck.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

^^^^^ALL OF THIS^^^^^
  • patriciafoley1
    patriciafoley1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Re feeling hungry -- while everyone is different, for me, eating carbs gets my "eater" going. I am more satisfied with high protein, and medium fat food choices. Protein satisfies me. Carbs make me want to eat more. That does not mean I don't eat carbs, but I do better if I put them near the end of the day as a treat. My scale drops more consistently too, when I keep my diet more low carb. I couldn't go totally low carb, that would not be sustainable for me. But I know that carbs triggers me to over eat. So you might consider what triggers you to over eat and plan with that in mind
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Plenty of good advice here already, so I just want to chime in with this:

"A reasonable amount of time" to lose 20 lbs, if you're planning to keep it off, is going to be about 8 months, 6 at the minimum. A pound per week is pretty sustainable for most folks, but since you're starting with relatively little to lose (speaking as a person who's lost 45 lbs and still has 60+ to go), you'll probably have a better time if you go slower than that.

I don't know what your idea of "reasonable" was, but the whole diet-industrial complex depends on you thinking it's possible/desirable/reasonable to lose 20 lbs over the weekend, which is simply not true, not unless you want to keep doing that over and over again.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options
    I’d take “failing” out of my vocabulary, too.

I found the words I used defined my expectations of myself.