Would increasing my calorie Intake cause quick weight gain?

Options
I’ve been eating around 600-800 calories a day and my meals included very high protein so I stay full. I just want to know that if I should go from 600-800 to 1,500 cals for a whole week and I need to know if that would cause fast weight gain.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Absolutely. Increase food volume, waste, increased sodium and if it was carbs, glycogen replenishment.

The bigger question is why start with such low calories
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,930 Member
    Options
    Iunas wrote: »
    I’ve been eating around 600-800 calories a day and my meals included very high protein so I stay full. I just want to know that if I should go from 600-800 to 1,500 cals for a whole week and I need to know if that would cause fast weight gain.

Sure, it might cause a temporary gain on the scale, but that wouldn't be fat gain, as you are a male and the minimum you should be eating for weight loss is 1500 calories anyway.

Are you WANTING a fast weight gain or trying to PREVENT one? If that last, you can bump your calories up 200-300 per week.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Why on earth are you eating so little? That is crazy low.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    As a male, the very minimum you should be eating is 1500 calories which is aggressive and also assumes you're sedentary. I'm a middle aged male who works a desk job and I lose about 1 Lb per week on 2300-2500 calories per day. I do exercise daily, but it's nothing crazy. Hell, my breakfast I'm eating right now is 600 calories.

Any weight gain will be attributable to increased water weight and more inherent waste in your system. 1500 calories per day is significantly lower than maintenance calories for pretty much any male, so you aren't going to get fat.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    The bigger question is, what will not doing it cause? And the answer is, maybe death. This is a disordered way of eating and the question worries me, do you have a doctor you are in touch with about your diet? Does your doctor or anyone in your family know you are eating so little?