Working out with a 5 month old

Options
So, I just got custody of my 5 month old nephew. I was working out on a regular basis before. My schedule is so booked anymore it seems like I have a really hard time finding time to work out inbetween, work, driving, my other kids sports activites and now having the baby. Does anyone have any ideas for working out with a baby???

Replies

• woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    If you have an hour long lunch, bring lunches with you and walk for 20 min during your lunch, do an exercise dvd after work once the kids are down and dinner's over. Hope this helps.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    When my youngest was little i would use him as a weight .... I would lay on my back and put him on my legs and lift him up and down, He would love it and i got a workout in, i would also lay on my back and hold him on my tummy and then lift him up over my head.... You can look it up on Youtube.com they have tons of mommy and me workouts.!!!!!

***You can do this after dinner while watching tv and relaxing with the rest of the family***
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    put the baby in a stroller or a sling or baby carrier and walk with the kids to the park, or through the neighborhood. Put on music and dance around ( the kids will love it), put on and exercise dvd when the kids are down, get a bike trailer and ride bikes with the kids depending on their ages. I hope this helps
  • beverlylouise
    beverlylouise Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's hard. I have a 4 year old and a 3 month old and I've been working out since he was 6 weeks. It's a balancing act. Instead of cleaning during naps, I work out. I try to work out every day, but if I can get 5 days a week in, I feel great. I aim for 60-90 min of working out, but the little one might wake up before I'm done. I might finish that work out later in the day, but anything is better than nothing. Some times he'll lay down and watch me while I finish. I also stay active by walking around the neighborhood, walking to the park, and playing/working out with the baby using him as a weight. Once the baby is on a regular schedule and going to bed earlier than me, I can work out at night after the kids are in bed. That didn't happen with my 4 year old until he was about 12-18 months.
  • hnpervert
    Options
    TOPIC: Working out with a 5 month old

They're far too fragile to work out with IMO, you need a proper weight ;-)