Building Muscle = no weight loss?

Options
Have started to go to the gym regular doing 30 minutes various weights and then an hour cardio.

I have stuck to my diet for past week or two (apart from today :O() but have been on target or under and have remained the same weight. Is it true that when you first start to exercise you build muscle, so therefore although the scales may not show a loss judge it by your clothes?

If not then I need to have a drastic look at what I am doing as do not seem to be getting anywhere!

:O)

Replies

• hnpervert
    Options
    You have to give it more than a couple of weeks to see real gains.

But yes, muscle weighs more than fat. Its always best to go by the mirror rather than scales if you're lifting weights (unless its a gym mirror. Which are warped to make you look thinner ;) )
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    In a lot of cases if you going really hard, like with P90X, you'll actually gain weight when you first start out.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    It is difficult to actually gain while in calorie reduction. you will not see huge gains every week. You dont put on muscle as fast as half the people on here seem to think
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    That seems like a lot of cardio to combine with your weight training, especially on the same day.

EDIT: and yeah, as people have noted, building muscle is rather slow. If I really work at it and limit my cardio, I might be able to put on .5 to 1 lb of muscle /week with a proper caloric surplus...and I'm a guy.
  • leilani♥
    Options
    It takes time to build muscle. I've been using weights consistently a little over a month now and continue to lose weight regularly.
  • sbremner35
    sbremner35 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks - weight is just remaining the same, was getting a little despondent about it !

I do:

Chest press 3 reps of 12 at 1O
    Bicep Curls 3 reps 12 at 10
    Shoulder press 3 reps 12 at 10
    Tricep curls 3 reps of 12at 10
    Concentration Curls 3 reps of 12 at 14
    Lap pull down 3 reps of 12 at 10
    Shoulder raises 3 reps of 12 at 3kg
    Squat - 10 then pulse for 10 3 reps of this
    Various ab crunches total about 100

5 min row (warm up before start above)
    20 mins on stationery bike
    20 mins on x-trainer
    20 mins on treadmill

Do about 2/3 a week, then one night swimming for 30 mins, then 40 min squash once or twice a week .

That is my total workouts a week.

:ohwell:
  • 8rules
    8rules Posts: 169
    Options
    Likely you are gaining weight cause you are hydrating correctly.

You can lose 2 pounds of fat a week easy.

You are lucky, as a man, if you can gain 2 to 4 ounces of muscle in a week, and that is killing yourself and eating HUGE.

As a lady, good luck approaching that.

If you can find the magic formula that lets you build muscle at the same rate you shed fat, you will be a billionaire, I promise.
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    If you are religiously lifting it is a good idea to measure your calf, thighs, butt, waist, stomach, chest, neck and bicepts once a month or every 2 weeks. You should see some positive results. I record them on my schedule book, then I can go back and compare.. And weight of course.

I have taken about 3 months to lose 10 lbs, but have increased in good ways, and my abd and waist have gone down. I am not in a huge hurry to lose the rest, as I don't want it to come from the little bit of muscle mass I have built up. :-)
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I would take your measurements and ignore the scale for a few weeks. A pound of fat and a pound of muscle weight the same: a pound. But, muscle is denser and smaller and I suss you'll see a reduction in size even if the scale isn't moving.
  • kmorrison21
    kmorrison21 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yep! Honestly, I don't even weigh myself, because strength training is so vital (and awesome), I go by the way my clothes fit / body looks. The scale is very discouraging. It's way more fun to measure yourself or go by progress pics.

I did something the other day and caught a glimpse in the mirror of my tricep / shoulder and it felt soooooooooo good to see some definition and toning. Everyone kinda has their own thing that works for them, but yeah, and I don't even know if it's just at first that it happens, I've been doing pretty consistent weight lifting / cardio for awhile now, and it still seems to be the same.. weight on the scale isnt moving much, and sometimes goes up higher, but my body is changing for the better. I dunno, I'm sure some of these more seasoned ones can give you some more insight too! :)

ps... when you start noticing that you're having to lift more weights to get the burn.. it's very empowering.. I love that "Holy crap I'm getting stronger" feeling. ;)
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I haven't been lifting weights (yet!), but going from 0 cardio a day to at least 60 minutes of cardio every day slowed my weight loss down. I lost 9 pounds in a week (mostly water weight I'm sure) and then didn't lose again for a month. I lost a total of three inches during that month though. I'm back to losing pounds again, which relieves me a whole bunch. Slowly, one pound at a time, but I'm trying to focus on what is really important, which is being a healthier me, not a thinner me.
  • sbremner35
    sbremner35 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU everyone feel much better and going to ignore those scales and go on my clothes which are fitting a little better and going to get the tape measure out.

:flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    Have started to go to the gym regular doing 30 minutes various weights and then an hour cardio.

I have stuck to my diet for past week or two (apart from today :O() but have been on target or under and have remained the same weight. Is it true that when you first start to exercise you build muscle, so therefore although the scales may not show a loss judge it by your clothes?

If not then I need to have a drastic look at what I am doing as do not seem to be getting anywhere!

:O)
    It's practically impossible to build muscle on a calorie deficit. The culprit here is water retention or you're probably not eating enough.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks - weight is just remaining the same, was getting a little despondent about it !

I do:

Chest press 3 reps of 12 at 1O
    Bicep Curls 3 reps 12 at 10
    Shoulder press 3 reps 12 at 10
    Tricep curls 3 reps of 12at 10
    Concentration Curls 3 reps of 12 at 14
    Lap pull down 3 reps of 12 at 10
    Shoulder raises 3 reps of 12 at 3kg
    Squat - 10 then pulse for 10 3 reps of this
    Various ab crunches total about 100

5 min row (warm up before start above)
    20 mins on stationery bike
    20 mins on x-trainer
    20 mins on treadmill

Do about 2/3 a week, then one night swimming for 30 mins, then 40 min squash once or twice a week .

That is my total workouts a week.

:ohwell:
    Weights are light especially on chest and lat pull downs. If you can use that weight for arms (which are much smaller muscles) then you're not using enough weight.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Couple of things to keep in mind:

1) In order to build muscle, you have to break muscle. Breaking muscle (micro tears, in simple terms) is what you are causing by lifting weights. Once the muscle is torn, your body floods these areas with water in order to repair (build new muscle) the damage. So initially the weight gain, or lack of loss, you are seeing is your body retaining water.

2) Like ninerbuff noted, you may want to increase the amount of weight you are lifting. For muscle building, the general rule is to lift as much weight as you can and complete 3 sets of between 8 & 12 reps with the last 2 reps being very difficult to complete. If you can complete 12 reps and still feel like you could do a couple more, increase the amount of weight.

3) Don't worry about lifting too much and becoming "big & bulky". With very rare exception and/or heavy supplements, women typically do not have enough testosterone to build large muscles.