How have you been treated differently based on your weight?

In my adult life, I’ve bounced from 70lbs overweight and 10-20 LBs underweight. What bothers me (for whatever reason) is how I’m viewed differently being at my heaviest. I wish we could all see each other for who we are, not our pants size. If someone doesn’t love me at my heaviest, they don’t deserve me at my thinnest? 😅

Replies

• Totally agree. It’s everything from the looks up and down to the side whispers and giggles, the pointing. Even supposedly harmless comments from friends who point out other peoples weights. It’s just horrible! I’m a lot more overweight than you though so I’m probably more touchy!

The best thing about being slim to me was always that I wasn’t noticed!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,105 Member
    When I was obese I had such difficulty finding a new job. I was either 'too result oriented' (not the stereotypical jovial fat person) or 'not result oriented enough' (a fat person 'must' be lazy, right?).
    My lack of confidence in myself didn't help either.

Aside from that, so many stereotypes regarding being overweight. Yes, I did/do eat vegetables, I love them actually, always have. No, I didnt/don't eat a lot of junk food and fast food and I didn't/don't drink soda. Just some of the assumptions people had based on the way I looked.

Being normal weight now, I'm sure there are other judgments, most being more 'favorable' but still.

The inherent judgment is terrible, we're all people, not just bodies to be judged!
  • al0481113
    al0481113 Posts: 67 Member
    Unhappy, sad people will always judge you for something. Happy, positive people will always love you for who you are.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    People notice you big or small whether they say something to you is a different story.

And a lot of people are just utterly rude I've had people say things to me at my slimmest such as are you anorexic and at my biggest am I pregnant when they knew in both scenarios I wasn't. But I've also had positive feed back from people whether big or small, we must learn to love ourselves more no matter the size or goals were working on to lose or gain weight and no matter what people say because they will always have something to say. What they talk about to you may change, once they don't have weight to talk about. But sorry to say alot of negative people in the world.
  • curwhibbles
    curwhibbles Posts: 138 Member
    I am just tired of not being able to find work pants! Come the *kitten* on, folks. Either they are not selling over 12, or I can’t get customer support in the “plus” aisle. I am tired of it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member
    I am just tired of not being able to find work pants! Come the *kitten* on, folks. Either they are not selling over 12, or I can’t get customer support in the “plus” aisle. I am tired of it.

I've been working from home for 10 years, but prior to that I had good luck with plus size office attire at Kohl's.