Heart Rate

Options
Just got myself a heart rate monitor. Loving it! However, was wondering for advice on what zone your heart rate should be in for weight loss.

I mainly do very high impact cardio and with my heart rate monitor on, I was averaging out at about 175, at peak points in the class I was going into the 180s, which is great for increasing my general fitness but I would assume not so good for weight loss.

Any ideas where I should be for maximum fat burning?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    As high as you can tolerate
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your age; but I'm not sure. I am 43 and my trainer has me do moderate cardio after our training sessions for 15 minutes, keeping my heart rate between 130 and 140.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    As high as you can tolerate

mhm. I'm not supposed to go over 184, because you take X number minus Y age and that supposedly gives you a max heart rate.

I hit 184 from jogging for 1 min. no way am I going to stop there. but strangely enough, it stays right around 184-190 the entire 30 mins of jogging. but if i push myself too far, and it gets to 195 or higher (yep, it does) then life sucks

I get dizzy and lose energy VERY quickly. muscles start complaining (within 2 mins of static HR over 190) I get out of breath and black closes in on vision.

of course, I aim to stay UNDER 190 because i do not enjoy feeling like I am dying. but once you find that point, stay under it :) if you don't want to find that point, take the recommended as your high and don't go over it.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    If your heart rate is high enough to increase your general fitness - it's burning calories.

Don't focus on the magic heart rate number for losing pounds, focus on making your body work harder, challenge it, and it will respond with weight loss.

Then repeat.
  • Cmh1211
    Cmh1211 Posts: 104
    Options
    google target heart rate... there are many calculator sites that will give u ur specific rate based on weight, age and rested heart rate. gl
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    IMO, the lower ranges (60-70%) are tailored more for weight loss and the higher (70-80%) for fitness. Keep in mind, for fat loss you need to be in an energy deficit so at the end of the day, don't overcompensate with more food. Or to put it more precisely, eat an appropriate amount of food to support your training and reach your goals...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    There's very little correlation between different heart rates and weight loss and even less between heart rate zones and body fat loss over time. The proportion of fuel substrates you burn during exercise are of no real consequence at all. Next time you eat you top up your reserves anyway.

If you want the highest proportion of fat burned then you would go for the lowest activity level (sleeping!) but of course you are burning very few calories.

If you are serious about using exercise to create a calorie deficit (a really poor idea for most people!) then the heart rate that allows you to exercise for the longest duration to hit your personal sweet spot of sustainable effort, maximum duration without needing to fuel up during the session and doesn't spike your hunger levels. And doesn't bore you to death!!
    For most people that would be zone 3 for two to three hours.

My bike ride last Wednesday was four hours majority in Z3 (average 129bpm) for a 2,000cal burn and didn't need any specific fuelling but did make me fairly hungry. Probably roughly half carbs and half fat burned but as I'm eating at maintenance totally irrelevant to weight loss or fat loss because that's driven by calorie balance over an extended period of time.
    Just like if I did six hours at Z2 or one hour in Z4.....

EDIT - Urgh! Zombie thread!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,052 Member
    Options
    LOL, @J72FIT

You bumped a nearly ten year old thread to say that. :lol:

Tis the season I guess.

Wonder what this zombie's HR is?? Can't be more than 80% max.

Whlc.gif
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    LOL, @J72FIT

You bumped a nearly ten year old thread to say that. :lol:

Tis the season I guess.

Wonder what this zombie's HR is?? Can't be more than 80% max.

Whlc.gif

lol