Breakfast Meat

Options
theshow4jsu
theshow4jsu Posts: 380 Member
I usually eat 2 eggs/ 1 egg white omelet every morning with either bacon or canadian bacon. I'm looking for something besides those 2 options, because I've been reading a lot about sodium nitrates and nitrites.

Any recommendations on breakfast meats that are somewhat healthy that I can substitute. Cost is an issue here, so grass-fed, organic stuff doesn't fit in the budget.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sausage and steak maybe? I know you can find nitrate free bacon here, but yeah... cost.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    If you're into scrapple, maybe that? (I personally can't stand it)

Ham! Steak! And pork tenderloin sounds yummy.... mmmm
    Sweet or Hot Italian sausage...
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I looooooooooove chicken bacon. Or sometimes I fry slices of lunch meat and cut them into little triangles. So good.
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Applegate Farms makes some good nitrate free breakfast sausage. I like the chicken sausage and turkey sausage. They have pork too, but I'm not much of a pork person...
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Any at all! Breakfast meat is not different to lunch meat or dinner meat. "Breakfast food" is a concept dreamed up to make money for breakfast food companies. Have a small steak. Have a lean pork chop. Fry up a hamburger pattie or some chicken meatballs. Shred some chicken in your eggs for an omelette. Have some smoked salmon or other fish. I got rid of the "breakfast food" mindset a long time ago, and it's awesome.

Excellent reply. Great ideas and perspective.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    Kippers (smoked herring) are a traditional breakfast food in the UK, but totally out of fashion and dead cheap.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    When I have a leftover piece of steak too small for lunch or dinner portion, I have it with eggs for breakfast.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I shredded some leftover salmon into my eggs.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Fried fish fillets. I love Spam. And, the butcher cuts thin (think 3/32nd inches, sirloin steaks that fry up in 30 seconds. Use Worcestershire sauce and pepper in the skillet.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I agree that you can have anything you want. There's no reason to eat specific types of foods at breakfast.

That said, I have never understood the need to serve meat with eggs. If I have eggs, I just have them with vegetables and sometimes bread.
  • tinabug11
    tinabug11 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    We're rabbit farmers so I cook up a rabbit in the instant pot, shred it, and use it in all kinds of dishes.
  • tinabug11
    tinabug11 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Rabbit meat also makes great sausage.
  • paints5555
    paints5555 Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Applegate Farms makes some good nitrate free breakfast sausage. I like the chicken sausage and turkey sausage. They have pork too, but I'm not much of a pork person...

Note that "nitrate-free" or "uncured bacon" only refers to added ingredients labeled as nitrates. These products contain celery which has high levels of naturally occurring nitrates. So the actual nitrate level in these products may be the same, lower or even higher than regular "cured" ones.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    I have a sous vide wand so make my own corned beef without nitrates. I follow the Serious Eats instructions but only cure for 3 days instead of the full week recommended by the recipe because I otherwise find the result too salty.
    https://www.seriouseats.com/homemade-corned-beef-brisket-with-potatoes-cabbage-carrots-recipe
  • W_Stewart
    W_Stewart Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I eat one or two of these with my breakfast for the protein. Says no nitrates. They are darn tasty to me.

Screenshot-2021-10-27-090557.jpg

• Straitlover1965
    Straitlover1965 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You can make turkey sausage w/ ground turkey and seasonings. Plenty of recipes out there.