Weight Watchers People - what do you use MFP for?

Options
I started out counting calories and loved it but wasn't losing any weight!! I did it for 2 months and lost and gained the same 2 pounds. I bit the bullet and joined weight watchers with a friend who needed the support and i thought it would help me. I love MFP but im not sure how to use it with weight watchers?
What do you do? How do you feel MFP benefits with WW program?

Replies

• fitby2012
    fitby2012 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I was on WW for a couple of months earlier this year. I lost a couple of lbs and then that was it. I came back to MFP to look at my macronutrients and my actual calories in and out. I have so much weight to lose that my daily calories were overstated on WW. So I came back here to keep a closer eye on my eating.
  • gods_gal
    Options
    I joined WW in March with my husband and was counting the points plus. I joined MFP in June and started exercising and logging my food here. I was doing both the tracking points (on my phone) and here and it finally began to bother me so I opted to continue to just do the logging of my food here. It helps me better to be able to see the real value of food in calories (and other nutrients) than it did to use the points plus plan. I still go to the meetings each week but I don't track my points anymore, just here with MFP's diary. Weighing in with the WW gang and the support I get there from the other members make it worth it to continue on with WW, but I also love MFP and all my friends here too.
  • khartley535
    khartley535 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I no longer do WW. When they started up the new plan, I thought it was great. But after thinking about it for a while and noticing that my weight loss was very sluggish, I realized that it doesn't really work for me anymore because nothing is truely "free". Granted, I've only been doing this for 5 days, but I am really enjoying MFP. And honestly, the message boards here are MUCH more supportive. On the WW site, things tend to get quite heated, even for something as simple as a newbie question that someone may think has been asked one too many times. Too much drama.
  • Jenmilleroz
    Options
    I lost 10 kg on WW last year, then slipped right back into old habits , at the end of the day I have discipline problems. MFP takes all the guesswork out and has great free tools. I love not having to pay to lose weight. It is also very clear what I am burning when I exercise. I personally don't think you can follow both simultaneously, it will do your head in!!!.
  • PJFaber
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight with weight watchers over a hundred pounds. Then I found MFP. It is easy to keep track of both your exercise and what you are eating with little effort on your part. In fact I keep track of both of them for a while and still do from time to time. I found that MFP is very close to the points plus system. Whichever you do, YOU are the most important part of this weight loss. It has to be something that works for you. Good luck.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    :huh: Not sure why a person would even need to use both. Free site vs. pay site? I'll pick the free site with loads of motivation all around me, a great set of tools to help you log your workouts, keep track of foods and the list goes on...

One difference between WW and MFP is we have no free food, everything counts, no free fruits, pickles, pies, potatoes, pink lemonaide........

Never have understood the WW free food list... fruits has loads of carbs in it and it can add up quickly, and put the weight on or keep a person from losing any weight.

Count it ALL and you will be successful, have no real idea why you were unable to lose weight if you applying the concept that is used with MFP. Might be worth checking in with the doctor as to why you can't lose weight, or be completely honest and take a look at your food diary on here to see if you are eating enough, or too much sodium, too much fast food or any mirage of reasons that keep us from losing the pounds.

I wouldn't blame MFP if I couldn't drop weight, I would take a look within myself first and see what is my motive, am I ready to take action and as I shared I'd go over my food diary honestly and I think the answers would be right there in front of me.

Save the money and stick to MFP and use the money saved for mini rewards for lbs. lost (NO FOOD REWARDS though), new workout gear, a week trip with supportive friends, the list is endless.

Cheers for a site that never fails unless we fail to use it properly.:flowerforyou:
  • Jenmilleroz
    Options
    I completely agree and it is free friend me if you want I am new too!
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I've personally never done ww, but I had a friend who has lost 90+ lbs on it, so I know it can work. She was however having trouble with the last 10-15lbs.

When I started on MFP in June, I told her about it, and she did both for while, but then decided to quit ww and just use MFP. Since switching she has seen more weight loss and is now within 5lbs of her goal.
  • macd40
    Options
    I too used to be a member of Weight Watchers and had a lot of success until they changed their program. I prefer MFP as it works in absolutes...I know exactly what my calories are for the day are and how my exercise fits into that. With WW they use the 49 flex points before using the activity points...I found it too easy to 'cheat'. Also, I find MFP has a larger resource of food information and what the calories count is. I guess it really comes down to finding the program that works best for you.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I have the odd ww sheperds pie just so I can have some mashed potato yum yum. I was using slimming world red and green days...but this is not what you are asking....

IMO whatever works for you hun...then go with it..

personally calorie counting...and I don`t need to cos MFP does it for me...works for me...

Whatever you do has to last a lifetime, there is no going back...whether it is WW or slimming world or any other program.

Either way ...you can do it if you stick to your new life xx
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't pay for WW anymore, so I use it for tracking what I eat, then convert to points on a blog.
  • RosieGB33nz
    Options
    Im finding points are easier then calories, i was weighing everything when on MFP but i don't have to use the scales as much on WW. Im not over eating and im only eating healthy foods, salads for lunch, stir frys for tea, ect. I just found it really time consuming entering everything in.I have a diary where i track my food daily.

I don't blame MFP for my weight loss not happening, i just wanted to try something new as i was getting bored of the same routine everyday and if i wanted something spontaneously i had to look up the item.... WW calculator is a lot more easier.....

I have decided that i will try weight watchers for 2 months and if im not satisfied with it, MFP will be my sole tool. I still use it to make smart choices in my food if i dont know the value and calories.
  • laurielie
    laurielie Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I joined WW in March with my husband and was counting the points plus. I joined MFP in June and started exercising and logging my food here. I was doing both the tracking points (on my phone) and here and it finally began to bother me so I opted to continue to just do the logging of my food here. It helps me better to be able to see the real value of food in calories (and other nutrients) than it did to use the points plus plan. I still go to the meetings each week but I don't track my points anymore, just here with MFP's diary. Weighing in with the WW gang and the support I get there from the other members make it worth it to continue on with WW, but I also love MFP and all my friends here too.
    DITTO FOR ME!!!
  • dreamjo
    dreamjo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have joined WW recently (last week) and have lost a lb so far but I enjoy actually tracking my food on here and then totaling my points from the information (carbs, fat, fiber, protein) but also stay within my calorie goals. It is a little difficult to use both but I am not on WW online, I am going to the meetings.

I prefer MFP to the WW Online Etools and community. The community here is so much more friendly it seems like and the database is much larger. I do like WW so far and have gained a lot of support at the meetings so far but I joined for 10 weeks (i paid the prepaid fee) and then after that I will probably just continue to use MFP depending on my progress. I think that I need the support of the meetings and being held accountable at the scale in front of the leader to kick my butt into gear. I have had a boost in motivation but the counting of points and worrying so much about eating out and how many points that adds in is kind of hectic at times.

So for 9 more weeks i will be doing both, at least for now with the meetings and tracking on here. :)