Coming to grips with BMI

Options
KeithBarrows
KeithBarrows Posts: 34 Member
edited December 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
I just ran the BMI calculator on the MFP site. Holy hell!

q6o23ig808rs.png

This cannot be right. Most of my adulthood I weighed 195 or more. My 13 years in the Marine Corps I weighed between 196 and 204. Here is a pic at 196ish lbs:

6fky50l1ifm4.jpg

Is the BMI calculator that far off or am I on the freak side of measurements? :p

Replies

• threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    OP would you be willing to measure your waist circumference and post it here?
  • KeithBarrows
    KeithBarrows Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have no problems posting my measurements. Right now - I know I am over weight. I was looking at the BNI to see what it might suggest as a target weight for weight loss and was flabbergasted by the range it gave.

Yes - I am English/Irish/Scottish ancestry. My Withings scale reports a BMI of 30.1% right now. I am down 7 or 8 lbs from my heaviest ever weight of 262.

Are you looking for today's measurements? When I am in shape measurements? Back in the Marine Corps measurements?
    Date            Pounds      Shoulders      Waist
    3/1/2015    210.10         51.50         36.25
    10/24/2021   252.7          54.0           47.0

From the early 2015 time period:
    wvby3pndcb8d.jpg
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs to understand that BMI is just your (weight in kilograms) divided by your (height in meters, squared). Thus, if you were 2 meters in height and 80 kg, you'd have a BMI of exactly 20.

The simplicity of this formula has made it a stand-in for harder-to-measure parameters, such as body fat, to which it correlates. But, correlation doesn't mean it works for every individual.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure what you are looking for.

BMI assumes average muscle, so yes, if you have above average muscle, then it will be off for you.

BMI is a populational metric, so it's only a very rough metric for individuals.

So again, I'm not entirely sure what you are looking for?
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I long ago found all the usual metrics for appearance and fitness personally useless, except for the mirror, satisfactory physical strength and endurance, and lack of bodily pains. "Weight" is just an unhelpful proxy for body fat, given that the direct estimators for blubber are inconsistent / inaccurate. I recently came across this page (there are some others) that seems good enough for the ballpark:

https://www.ruled.me/visually-estimate-body-fat-percentage/
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Xellercin wrote: »

BMI assumes average muscle, so yes, if you have above average muscle, then it will be off for you.

BMI is weight and height, body composition (bodyfat % or muscle) assumed or otherwise doesn't come into the equation.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. As I am seeing a heart doc (a very recent development) and going in for my 60,000 mile checkup, err, 60 year physical, BMI was something that was asked on the intake forms for the new Doc. It caught my interest again. I tend to dismiss from memory what is not at all useful so my memory of BMI discussions 10 years ago was hazy at best. In my military career I was never "over weight" (for 6' 2" I think that was marked at 210?).

So, if you want to tag along, I am on my 2nd weight loss/health/fitness lifestyle change...

As others have said, it's a population metric to *kitten* potential health risk. At the individual level it's a good enough starting point, but isn't the be all and end all gospel of metrics. It's not unusual either for athletic males to fall slightly outside the high end of BMI and still be at healthy BF% levels. My normal maintenance weight is around 180 Lbs at about 15% BF...not super lean, but not fat either. The high end of BMI for my height is 174.6 so I am outside of that range, but at a perfectly healthy BF%. I am also a former Marine and was a competitive athlete for much of my life and I cycle, mountain bike, and lift weights regularly for the past 9 years or so. I'm no bodybuilder, but I have decent muscle mass, particularly in my lower body. I could definitely be leaner and get to that high end BMI number, but there's really no point from a health standpoint...it would be purely aesthetic and I'm 47 and don't care about 6 pack abs. I used to have those and they weren't life changing or anything.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    YellowD0gs wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your input. As I am seeing a heart doc (a very recent development) and going in for my 60,000 mile checkup, err, 60 year physical, BMI was something that was asked on the intake forms for the new Doc. .

Ah HAH! Clarity is approaching. For what it's worth, I had my heart attacks 2 years ago and that obviously got me started with a Cardiologist and was the first time I saw "BMI" mentioned. Long story short, I had been bristling with them over the BMI reports, my on-going weight loss, etc etc, and finally took them to task to explain why they were taking such a vague metric so seriously. Their explanation at the time is that it doesn't really matter between fat and/or muscle, its all extra tissue that your heart has to pump blood through, and the more tissue, the more your heart has to work. Which is a thing for heart attack survivors. But as a "statement of health", yeah, generally meaningless.

It sounds like you've had multiple heart attacks, and your BMI is in the risk factor category, from what you're telling us?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    How tall do I have to be to be considered in the healthy range at 194? lol
    At 5' 8", I'm in the overweight range when I crest 165 and obese at 197.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

BMI is weight and height, body composition (bodyfat % or muscle) assumed or otherwise doesn't come into the equation.

Yes, I'm aware that the number doesn't assume anything, but the categorizations of "underweight," "healthy weight," "overweight," and "obese" do have assumptions of averages in terms of body composition built into them since they are based on populational averages.

Which makes the categories less applicable for individuals who deviate heavily from average in terms of body composition for their BMI.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Yes, I'm aware that the number doesn't assume anything, but the categorizations of "underweight," "healthy weight," "overweight," and "obese" do have assumptions of averages in terms of body composition built into them since they are based on populational averages.

Which makes the categories less applicable for individuals who deviate heavily from average in terms of body composition for their BMI.

It doesn't appear a day or 2 ago when I replied to your post that you were aware the number didn't assume anything, hence my response:

ohf1q66hm9k4.png
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    How tall do I have to be to be considered in the healthy range at 194? lol
    At 5' 8", I'm in the overweight range when I crest 165 and obese at 197.

Ever get your bodyfat measured by a reliable method?