What to eat to hit daily calories if I already hit my protein goal?

Options
Today I hit my protein goal by 5pm (almost 300g protein by then). However, I still have 500 calories left to hit my surplus. What should I eat?

Icecream? More protein?

Replies

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want. If you've hit your major nutrition goals, just worry about getting the calories in there.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    What ever your heart desires.

Though if you don't mind me saying you might benefit more by leaving 30-40 grams of protein for your last meal assuming it's a few hours after 5pm. There is no brownie points for eating extra protein once any MPS has occurred unless you just prefer protein as a energy source.
  • Reonnn
    Reonnn Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    i want to say whatever you want however eating 300g of protein maybe something with fiber in it =D dont want hemroids
  • 19gabriela01
    19gabriela01 Posts: 2,090 Member
    Options
    Fruit & nuts.
    And next time be a little bit more thoughtful about your time management. It's better to get smaller amounts of protein throughout the day than shoveling it all at once.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    The body needs some fat for proper hormonal function. As long as you're getting that, say 15-20% of your total calories from fat, you can eat whatever else you want to meet your calorie goal.

And 300g of protein is an awful lot of protein. If that's because you enjoy it, or you're carrying around 300lbs of lean mass, then more power to you, otherwise, that level of protein intake isn't doing anything to help you meet your hypertrophy and/or strength goals. And given that protein is pretty much the most expensive macro, you're lightening your wallet more than you need to. Again, nothing wrong with any of that as long as it's an informed decision and you're not basing that 300g amount on what some influencer said about needing 300g a day of protein.

https://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
  • I2k4
    I2k4 Posts: 180 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I use MFP to set rough targets for calories and all three macros, mentally prioritizing protein, then fat and finally carbs as a flexible filler (also watching some nutrients, might look for a salty snack if that's low). Has nothing to do with time of day, or missing on a given day, more concerned to even them out over a few days or a week - personally don't mind going hungry if I've been a hog, do mind being too meticulous day in and out. (No medical conditions dictate my daily diet, knock on wood, but that would be an obvious consideration.)