Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How do you feel about fleece?

Options
1235»

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,341 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    It's interesting to see how some folks in here hate the way fleece wears, or feels against their skin. I used to be in that group. I found the stuff to be too warm and not breathe, I would sweat with almost any exertion and it would feel clammy, like wearing a plastic bag. It's great for going to the store on a rainy day, walking on flat ground, or something like that but not much more. Then I got a grid fleece, brushed and exquisitely soft, very breathable, quick drying, and after years I finally understood what the fuss is about.

The fuss over polyester fleece in my world is because it is cheap and warm.
    And I can’t fault people who wear it for those reasons.

I have a lot of merino base layers hanging in my closet, from SmartWool, Icebreaker, Minus33, etc. Also polyester and blended ones. For what it's worth, it's been years since I wore any of the merino ones, because they don't keep me as comfortable. I get sweaty hiking up hill, they absorb and hold too much moisture, they never dry, and the feeling against the skin of even ultrafine merino is less pleasant than the poly stuff.

For context, in sitting here writing this in a cashmere sweater. Soft clothes delight me.

I think, once I hit my goal weight, I want a cashmere sweater.

PM me if you'd like a men's XL baby blue 100% cashmere sweater. I'm doing some spring cleaning. If it doesn't fit, you can cut the arms off at the shoulder, sew a loop of elastic in, and have leg warmers from your knees to your ankles. (I dated a girl who taught me that.) It's from Value Village and the color just doesn't work with my face. I'd rather it make someone happy than take up space in my closet.

ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG

1) Are you sure?!???!1?1!!!?1
    2) On a different discussion there was a test done, and it appears MFP folks need to be friends with each other in order to successfully send and receive messages. I will send you a friend request. No pressure. I promise.
    3) ZOMG I love baby blue!
    4) Yup. I already have a pair of leg warmers made from a lovely wool cable sweater that was shrunken beyond use as a sweater. I repurpose old woolens literally all the time. It’s kind of a thing for me.
    5) THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Editing. I don’t think I can send you a friend request.
    Maybe send me one?
    That is, if the offer is still available?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I sent you a PM, not sure if it went through. It's too nice a sweater not to be keeping somebody warm and cozy, I'll be happy for it to do that.
  • goldenxbeauty
    goldenxbeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My area of the world and homesteading lifestyle? Fleece, animal skins etc greatly appreciated and harvested as humanely as possible etc.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,341 Member
    Options
    My area of the world and homesteading lifestyle? Fleece, animal skins etc greatly appreciated and harvested as humanely as possible etc.

100% agreement. But I think OP means polyester fleece, not animal fleece.
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I like wool but have 2 fleece shirts my sister donated to me over 10 years ago. I wear them hiking all the time when it's cool. I also have a cheap fleece jacket that I received as a gift that I wear a lot. In fact, I'm wearing them in my profile picture. I'm just trying to reduce the amount of stuff I have and not buy anything unless I need it. It's not just what happens to stuff once we have it, it's the cost to people and the environment to produce it.
    I also bought a cashmere sweater from a thrift store to wear hiking. It's not forgiving as an outer layer since it snags and is harder to launder but still very comfortable.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Update on my Lucy's fleece Hedgehog replacement. Not going well!

But my special needs guy Toby loves the new natural New Zealand wool covered dog toys. He's a huge chewer and he'd chew on Nylabones all the time. Now he's at least chewing on the wool and these are some seriously durable balls. Lucy still is walking around, unfortunately, with the old fleece hedgehogs in her mouth all day long. Not sure I'm gonna change that at this point.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Not that anybody should care, but this is the fleece I had in mind when I started this thread:

https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/delta-lt-jacket

https://outlet.arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/delta-lt-jacket

I got a shirt in the blue colorway, it has a prismatic effect, when the sun hits it a lot of green comes out and it becomes teal or turquoise, like a glacier fed lake. ❤️ I have a few of these jackets already, they're brushed extremely soft, fit me perfectly, and it's the lightest, least warm fleece I know of, just the right amount of warmth for spring and fall. The grid fabric seems to be a really good thing.

Delta-LT-Jacket-Glitch-Fabric.jpg?auto=format&w=1350