Do you eat back your exercise calories burned??

Options
I was given a calorie goal on MFP of 1330 calories per day. Just wondering if you eat back your exercise calories or only eat the assigned calories per day.

Replies

• Reonnn
    Reonnn Posts: 21 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    depends on goal i guess i went from 380 pounds to 185 never ate my exercise calories but for someone on 1330 calories a day probly best to eat them health is better then rapid weight loss witch will in turn lead to binge days just make sure the exercise calories are close to accurate if you do eat them
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Eat back your exercise calories, but know that various ways of counting them can be a bit flawed. For example, the MFP database tends to overestimate calories burned. Start out by eating back about 50% of them for a couple of weeks. If you are losing faster than your target, increase the amount you eat back.

For me, my happy place is to not eat back general extras given to me by my fitness tracker but when I go on an actual walk, I enter that as purposeful exercise and eat those calories plus any from my swimming and water aerobics class. I eat back 75% of the entered ones. My overall weekly loss rate is really close to my target.
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,221 Member
    Options
    I agree with @Reonnn and @earlnabby.
    There's a significant margin of error in MFP's estimate of calories burned, or your fitness tracker's estimate of calories burned. Trial and error will help you determine where your line is in terms of how many exercise calories you can consume, but 50% seems like a good place to start.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    chan0404 wrote: »
    I was given a calorie goal on MFP of 1330 calories per day. Just wondering if you eat back your exercise calories or only eat the assigned calories per day.

That is the way this tool is designed. Deliberate exercise is not included in your activity level and is thus unaccounted for activity. Depending on what you're doing exercise wise, not accounting for that activity has the potential to create a deficit that is overly large and unhealthy. Your calorie target is a weight loss deficit target WITHOUT exercise.

The difficulty here is estimating those calories realistically and with relative accuracy. A lot of people are also pretty bad about accurately logging their calories in. For myself, I did eat my exercise calories when I was using the MFP method. I never used the exercise database for anything other than strength training and that seemed relatively accurate to me. For cardiovascular exercise, I used my HRM and deducted about 20% of the total calories burned for that bout of exercise to account for my BMR calories (calories I otherwise still would have burned sitting on the couch) and other estimation errors. That all worked very well for me and I was very accurate with logging my calories in as well. As I got more into cycling I bought a power meter which has a very high degree of accuracy for calories burned cycling and it was pretty close to my HRM less the 20% or so.

I also didn't really count walking my dog and such. The calorie burn wasn't large enough to be of any determent and it's not an activity that is overly strenuous, requiring recovery calories (unless you're walking a lot...my dog walks are about 2 miles tops). Cycling and mountain biking are my primary forms of cardiovascular exercise and I can burn a substantial number of calories on, for example, a 30 mile road ride with my riding group or 3 or 4 hours of mountain biking. If I didn't account for that, my fitness gains and recovery would have been an issue, among other things.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    chan0404 wrote: »

The difficulty here is estimating those calories realistically and with relative accuracy. A lot of people are also pretty bad about accurately logging their calories in. For myself, I did eat my exercise calories when I was using the MFP method. I never used the exercise database for anything other than strength training and that seemed relatively accurate to me.

For my swimming, I do use the database but I use the entry for "Swimming-Leisurely-General" instead of the entry for the lap swimming I actually do. It gives fewer calories but those are more in line with what actual swimming calculators give. For the water exercise glass, I only count 30 minutes even though it is a 50 minute class. The last 20 minutes are strengthening (often while floating) and cool down so I figure I am not burning much.

OP, it really is trial and error and you will figure out what works for you. The main point is to not undereat. As exciting as it is to see the scale go down fast, it is unhealthy long term.

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes, but I don't log my exercise in MFP. My daily exercise habit is consistent enough at this point, so I used a TDEE calculator to figure that, then just knocked 500 cal/day off of that number and manually overrode MFP's recommendations. TDEE calculators base their numbers on activity that DOES include purposeful exercise, as opposed to MFP's which does not.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    I've always eaten my (carefully estimated) exercise calories, through just under a year of weight loss, and nearly 6 years of weight maintenance since. One thing I like about that, now that I'm in maintenance (and still calorie counting), is that I have a really good understanding of how many calories I need with or without exercise. Since my exercise volume changes seasonally, and there are inevitably periods when I can't exercise much (post-surgery for example), that's super-useful information, for me. YMMV.

As a general philosophy, I think it's fine for someone who has a slow weight loss goal for their current size (less than 0.5% of current weight per week, say) to let a relatively small amount of exercise (maybe 10% of maintenance calories 3-4 times a week?) increase their calorie deficit, make their loss a little faster.

On the other end of that scale, picking a fast weight loss rate (maybe 1% or more of current body weight weekly) then doing lots of exercise (hundreds of calories daily) . . . that can be a recipe for bad health consequences, periodic uncontrolled eating when it gets too tough physically, maybe even giving up entirely because it's too difficult and exhausting.

In between those extremes? Judgement call. How much health risk is a person willing to take, for faster weight loss?

Slow loss can be frustrating, but unless someone is so overweight that the weight itself is a health risk, that's pretty much the only downside IMO. Fast loss, OTOH, increases health risks, plus things like downstream hair loss that may be undesirable to people who are appearance conscious. (At an extreme, the health risks include gallbladder problems, even heart failure - things like this are fortunately rare, but can happen.)

Does fast loss guarantee that problems will occur? No. It just increases the risk. The risk increase is more important if there are already other physical/psychological stressors in the person's life.

This is a thing to evaluate individually, honestly, carefully IMO.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Official answer --- yes eat back your exercise calories.

If you used MFP to set up your calorie goal and chose to lose weight --- it already figures in a calorie deficit in your daily goal. If you then do intentional exercise, you should log that and eat back those calories.

Real Life answer -- just like the food databased, the exercise databased can be accurate or wildly inaccurate. So...take that with a grain of salt.

I personally used a Polar HRM for my intentional cardio workouts (which for me happened to be running) and used multiple sources of information to manually input the calories burned for my runs (my running app would give me an estimate, my HRM would give me an estimate, general Google estimate would be available --- etc.). I just would choose a calorie burn somewhere in the middle of that and then decided to eat back between 50-100% of my workout calories (depending on how hungry I was, if I was obviously hungry I'd eat back 100%).

So...it's kind of still trial and error to see what actually works. But I'd say in MOST cases you should definitely be eating back some portion of those workout calories.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I only walk for exercise, and I never eat the calories back. I'm down 22 lbs since 3rd week of August. I eat 1200 calories per day but for a few splurges while traveling. Other than traveling, I have not felt an urge to binge eat as a result of denying myself anything. I plan meals pretty well and eat frequently throughout the day. I should include, I'm 5' 3" and started at 170 lbs.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Yes, because I'm in maintenance and if I don't eat more on a heavy activity day I will gnaw off my arm and possibly someone else's arm from pure hangry.

I had a bigger buffer between 'hungry' and 'I'm going to eat a whole cow and/or bite your head off RIGHT NAO" when I was heavier. The closer to goal I got the more narrow the buffer. At this stage I carry snacks in my van to avoid misery.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do because eating 1400 calories a day is no way to live.
  • UberAya
    UberAya Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, this has never worked for me. Intead I aim for BMR as my calorie intake, and let activity/exercise make up the deficit I need to lose for day to day. Only if I happen to do something super high output like snowboarding or hiking long distances would I deviate from BMR as my baseline, simply because if I don't eat to match on those days I'm DYING of hunger for days and wind up binging.

For maintenance, I eat pretty close to what the estimate of my burn is.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Just think it you had used an average TDEE calculator instead of MyFitnessPal to work out a calorie goal then it would be a really odd thing to do to then deduct an average of your exercise calorie burns from the number given.
    MyFitnessPal simply switches the estimating of your exercise from upfront in advance to after the event.

Hey calculator give me your best estimate of my calorie goal to achieve my chosen rate of weight loss - but I'll then deliberately eat to a different number. Doesn't make sense to me!

Exercise is just one of the many calorie needs of your body and if you are calorie counting it makes sense to actually try to count calories.
  • W_Stewart
    W_Stewart Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    To @chan0404

I wouldn't get too caught up in the science unless you have the time and interest to get pulled down deep into everybody's idea of science. You'll find no consensus and it just gets frustrating.

I used to eat my exercise calories but then stopped. Now I do not to eat my exercise calories. I am losing a couple pounds a week but don't feel like I am starving, not getting dizzy, and am seeing weekly increases in strength. So I am reading my body and feeling like my eating levels are sufficient. I'm definitely eating better nutrition wise thanks to the MFP nutrition tracking tools.

If you feel week or dizzy sticking to your calorie goal then eat a little more. Some days you may need it, some days you may not. Just make sure they are still healthy food choices. You might be trying to lose too much if your goal is 1330. If you set it to something like losing 2 lbs a week then consider changing it to losing 1 lb. a week instead. You will still be working out, eating less, eating better, losing weight and hopefully feeling happy and empowered with your healthier life. Once you get a couple months into your new routine you can try to make some adjustments like lowering your calorie goal if you still want to do that.

Good luck!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,970 Member
    Options
    I lost 80ish pounds using this site's calculations. When I exercised I entered it into the Exercise tab and ate that amount, too.

Yes. Still do, 13 years into Maintenance.

I eat a lot more than the site tells me to these days.

Run the experiment for yourself, it's really the only way. The numbers work for a lot of people and then apparently for some the numbers here don't work.

Just stick with a system of tracking for a month at a time before making changes otherwise you aren't really getting good trending data.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i do.

that said, i just switched from a fitbit that i used for years, to an apple watch as well as having increased my exercise. So for the next few weeks, will be in experimentation mode, to see how accurate the apple watch is for ME. starting at about half to see what the scale does and will adjust as needed. Just as we advise everyone to do ;)