Do you have a Pedometer

Options
So this time I am looking into getting a smartwatch to track my steps, but wait there's more! These things track BP, Sleep, activity, a u've been sitting to long mode, ect........ Dang, that's cool. But which one is a good CHEAP one <$45?

Replies

• NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
  • Jeepon40s
    Jeepon40s Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks NY I'll check this one out too! Do you get good use out of your fitbit?
  • mspewak
    mspewak Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The AT&T Store has a buy one get one free deal on Apple Watches (I don't know if that is still on). I got one and one for my wife. Be both use them like crazy because it connects so seamlessly with iPhone and apps.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Not the person you are replying to but I have been using a tracker for 7 years now. I had a Fitbit that was just a step counter and found it very useful. When it died about 2 years later, I got a Garmin that still is just a step tracker but it also tells the time and date (the original Fitbits didn't, they were just a plain band with little lights that told you what % of your goal you were at). I have been wearing it for 5 years now. It runs on watch batteries which have only needed to be changed once and is waterproof since I swim a lot.

The one part I don't want or need is the HRM. They are only good for steady state cardio and don't give you useful info if you don't do much of that. When choosing a tracker, decide what features are important to you. Some don't work with all phone operating systems or interface with MFP, for example, so make sure you have one that will work with what you need.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Do you carry your phone? Most can count steps, etc.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,263 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit versa2 I like it but I wish I had gotten the fitbit versa3 that way I wouldn't have to carry my phone on our walks ... you are able to text and answer calls just using the fitbit
  • NYPhotographer2021
    Options

Just now saw this. I do get good usage out of my FitBit. I used to wear it to sleep so it would track my sleep cycle. It did a very good job of that as well. But now I remove it for bed. I am trying to keep all electronics out of the bedroom because I was having such an awful time sleeping.

I was pleased with the step tracker as well. It's not bad. I think I have the Charge 3, so not the newest version. I was thinking about upgrading, but this one does what I need it to do, so I'm happy with it. HTH!
  • Jeepon40s
    Jeepon40s Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just bought some CHEAP 20 generic pedometer that had over 4500 reviews. I like watches and consider them man jewelry so I can wear this cheap thin one on my other arm.......Maybe camouflaged with some cool trendy bracelets ha ha. J/K
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    There are tons of cheap, used fitbits out there.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Xellercin wrote: »

Even better, get away from Fitbit and look at other companies' cheap new products. The batteries in Fitbits wear out fast and are not replaceable unless you have some tech know how. I wouldn't buy a used one unless you knew it was rarely worn.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options

Me too. Works great for me. I never calibrated the one I have now. It still tells me if I did more or less than yesterday, more or less than my average. That’s what I really need to know.
  • Koifish07
    Koifish07 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey Brian! Are you looking to get something that tracks your vitals passively or does that not matter to you? If you want to get something wearable, then I would recommend getting something that might cost a little more upfront, but will last longer like a newer Apple Watch or FitBit like NY mentioned. If you have any issues with those, you can always bring them into your local cellphone repair store. My mom and my sister both have FitBits, and they seem to be pleased with them. The data is comprehensive and can sync up with stuff like a smart bed mattress and other integrated tech within your household.

I personally just use the Google Fit app on my Android phone. It counts steps, tracks mileage, tracks workouts, and determines calorie burn passively if you bring your phone with you on a walk (as long as location sharing is enabled within the app.) You can use it to measure your heart rate, which uses your rear-facing camera to detect your pulse through your fingertip. You can also use it to measure your respiratory rate by using your front-facing camera to measure the minute movements of your face and chest.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I recommend the basic fitbit. I found I really like how it records my sleep, I'm sure it's not perfect but it's mostly right and helps me focus on getting good quality sleep. It also integrates here if you are tracking calories.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    So this time I am looking into getting a smartwatch to track my steps, but wait there's more! These things track BP, Sleep, activity, a u've been sitting to long mode, ect........ Dang, that's cool. But which one is a good CHEAP one <$45?

FYI, no smart watch does a very good job of blood pressure. Won't get into the details here because I don't want to derail your thread over a minor thing especially when it's true across the board, so it won't help your choice. If you have a need to track your blood pressure, don't rely on a watch, and if the one you get has this feature, know it's not that reliable.

Given your budget I'd be looking for any model with a good reputation that I could find on sale. 🙂 I wouldn't write a used one off if it was in good condition.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Even better, get away from Fitbit and look at other companies' cheap new products. The batteries in Fitbits wear out fast and are not replaceable unless you have some tech know how. I wouldn't buy a used one unless you knew it was rarely worn.

Good to know, thanks for the info. Maybe that's why used fitbits are so cheap.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options

Really? Huh... I’ve worn my Fitbit One every day since 2015, and the battery still holds its charge for two weeks... haven’t noticed a problem with it at all...

Curious...
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Cheesy567 wrote: »

Really? Huh... I’ve worn my Fitbit One every day since 2015, and the battery still holds its charge for two weeks... haven’t noticed a problem with it at all...

Curious...

You are one of the lucky ones. Enjoy! 2-3 years seems to be the average and many don't even get 2 out of it.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I have not gotten either a Fitbit or a Garmin to live longer than 2 years. Aside from reduction in battery live, I've had various mechanical and electronic failures, some replaced on warranty. I think you need to budget to replace them every few years, which is still worth it for me.
  • NYPhotographer2021
    Options
    Cheesy567 wrote: »

Curious...

You are one of the lucky ones. Enjoy! 2-3 years seems to be the average and many don't even get 2 out of it.

Yeah, mine is used. I don't know how long she has used it before she gave it to me, but I've had it since 2019 and have had no problems with the battery. The charge lasts for over a week, and charges less than an hour. I love it!