Joe's Crab Shack. Holy MOLY!

Options
We would never choose to go here, but our 6 year old was pleading with us (on a seafood kick), so we went last night. We live in Maryland and in our county it is law that you provide nutritional info if you are a chain.

HOLY CRAP!!

Pretty much all the meals were 1400, 1700, 1800 calories!!!!!!!!!!!! It was UNREAL. I don't know how anyone could go there and order food and not be cloaked in shame. Then they had the massive menu of fishbowl sized fruity cocktails which surely were almost 1000 calories a piece if not more. I swear this place was all that is wrong with America and more. It was disturbing. I got a shrimp caesar salad with dressing on the side...there was nothing else I would even consider. Horrible. Restaurant. Even their steamed crab legs were almost 600 calories! Just for the crab legs! Corn was 200..then potatoes for 100. Congrats...800 calorie dinner.

CRAZY PANTS.

Replies

• alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Their commercials alone should be an indicator that they pretty much buy into the worst of American culture. I've eaten at Joe's once and I have to say the food really isn't that good. But your post simply reinforces my plan to avoid them in the future. Of course we don't have any in WI anyway so that'll make it easier :)
  • janegeno
    janegeno Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Who says you have to clean your plate?

Doggy bags FTW!
  • josaleigh
    Options
    ...imagine the sodium...
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness... and I LOVE Joe's!!! I never would have thought just the crab legs were THAT bad... I know the butter isn't great, but you really don't use that much of it when you think about it. I am definitely rethinking my idea of them... because I thought I was at least staying under 1,000 when I ate there if I didn't have anything fried or any desserts. YIKES!!! Thanks for the eye opener!
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I used to eat there almost every weekend when I was living in Colorado. But that was a long time ago...and I am not the same person.
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    The few times I've eaten out in the last few months I checked online before going. Sadly, this is the norm in many restaurants, and I really had to hunt to find a 500-700 cal meal.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    The calories on MFP must be way off, or portion sizing must be way off.
  • Wingmistress
    Options
    Blech! Joe's = garbage. I've been there three times and it was awful. Expensive microwavable seafood. Waste of calories
    (rant done. Thank you for listening) :)
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    If the nutritional facts aren't enough to stop you from going back, I remember reading Consumer Reports' ratings on overall satisfaction, quality of food, value, cleanliness, service, and so on for 101 chain restaurants.

Along with Buffalo Wild Wings Grill & Bar and Friendly’s, Joe’s Crab Shack had the lowest marks across the board.
  • Chiclet26
    Options
    Be ready for shock everywhere, because with the health care reform, it will be a nation wide thing where all restaurants have to list the nutritional content. Many have already started.

Nevertheless, I think one can eat at places like Joe’s and not be “cloaked in shame.” I’m not apposed to going once in a great while with friends to share a plate of crab nachos. YUM! It's about not making it a regular habit.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Note to self...Joe's Crab Shack for dinner on Saturday. Everything in Moderation.
  • laurelei09
    laurelei09 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Only been there once but it was v. good. I wasn't watching food and calories then, but it was somewhere I'd return to. Restaurants aren't diet/weight loss friendly in general from what I can tell, so I'm not overly surprised. And as I southerner, I pretty much expect that the better it tastes, the worse it is for you! :P
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much decided that eating out is a disaster. If you go out to eat, you're pretty much blowing it for that day.
  • CLA2801
    CLA2801 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much decided that eating out is a disaster. If you go out to eat, you're pretty much blowing it for that day.

Yep. It's surely not just Joes.
  • hjfischer
    Options
    I haven't eat at a Joe's in over 10 years. The WORST 'seafood' ever. Gross.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Who says you have to clean your plate?

Doggy bags FTW!

My thoughts exactly.. if you take home half, that thousand calorie meal becomes a lot more manageable.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Ok, my question a crab leg is a crab leg.....right? They come from the same kind of crab? No?

Last time I checked Red Lobster's 1 pound of crab legs was like 200 cals or less (I may have been dreaming too)

How the heck does Joe's fix theirs???? oh my gravy. Cross them off the list.
  • brendalyne
    Options
    My husband & I ate there during our vacation in FL a few months ago....we split a meal, so it wasn't a complete & utter disaster. I managed a lot of walks and swimming and even came home a pound lighter one week later! So....it can be done....and it doesn't HAVE to ruin the day. But then again....for us eating out is a pretty rare thing because I need to watch the sodium, and frankly I think what we make at home tastes a lot better!
  • liquidsnape
    Options
    reminds me of when I went to Cheesecake Factory 2 weeks ago, I was freaking out when I heard we were eating there, luckily I found out they recently added a skinnylicious menu with entrees under 500 calories so I could actually eat there. LOL. I have been dying to eat at 5 Guys but am holding it off until I lose at least my birthday, my one day i am allowing for pure indulgence for my dinner lol
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I have them steam my crab legs separate and with none of their flavors and seasoning. I don't eat the potatoes , corn or sausage. I don't order steam pots since they are prepackaged prior to the boil. I also tell them not to bring the butter. They will custom order your meal, at least the one I go to here in MI will. When I get fish, I tell them a dry steam with no butter. Shrimp are boiled. I will get a side salad with no cheese or croutons. Dressing on the side. I pretty much do that with any place I go out to eat. Steak places too. Dry grill, that way they dont soak it in butter while they are grilling.