Gain weight whilst trying to get shredded? Help

Options
I am looking to gain some weight whilst having that shredded type look but have no clue.
Any ideas would be appreciated whether it be around gym, diet or anything?

Replies

• GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    You're not providing enough information for anyone to be able to help you. How lean, in terms of body-fat percentage, is "shredded" to you? I included a pic below to help you answer that. How experienced are you at resistance training? What are your current stats, age, height, weight? Given the picture below what body-fat percentage would you estimate you're at now?

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.steroid.com%2Fattachments%2Fanabolic-steroids-questions-answers%2F136950d1365392161-questions-about-test-400-winstrol-beginner-bf-men.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 888 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Staying shredded and adding muscle is very easy,
    Copious amounts of PEDS. On a serious note it’s virtually impossible to be shredded and gain muscle naturally, you don’t recomp at low body fat levels

• bozgrit10
    bozgrit10 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    You're not providing enough information for anyone to be able to help you. How lean, in terms of body-fat percentage, is "shredded" to you? I included a pic below to help you answer that. How experienced are you at resistance training? What are your current stats, age, height, weight? Given the picture below what body-fat percentage would you estimate you're at now?

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.steroid.com%2Fattachments%2Fanabolic-steroids-questions-answers%2F136950d1365392161-questions-about-test-400-winstrol-beginner-bf-men.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

I am 19 and 69-70kg looking to be at 8% body fat (just really looking to get into fit and strong shape. Fairly new to resistance training.
  • Sportertje354
    Sportertje354 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    8% sounds pretty low for 19 as goal maybe?

Wonder if you have some body image stuff you are dealing with maybe

Why do you want to be shredded? Competition coming up or for looks?

For looks I would think long term, and go for a healthy body fat percentage, not walk around shredded too much all the time. Too low fat can have health consequences long term.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    bozgrit10 wrote: »
    I am looking to gain some weight whilst having that shredded type look but have no clue.
    Any ideas would be appreciated whether it be around gym, diet or anything?

Under the best conditions- ultra sensitive responder to training, using enhancements, nutrition on point, training on point, sleep on point, surgeries, etc..we will not gain weight without a increase in body fat. What ever a "shredded type look" is to you, know that we can always expect some fat gain while increasing in size.

My advice is general as I know zero about you is if you are under16% body fat or lower is to train within a well written program that you have the equipment available and eat in a small surplus.

If you already have the muscle mass you are looking for you could drop weight and train appropriately and achieve a "more shredded look". It's dependant on the individual.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    bozgrit10 wrote: »
    GaryRuns wrote: »

I am 19 and 69-70kg looking to be at 8% body fat (just really looking to get into fit and strong shape. Fairly new to resistance training.

8% is too low for everyday walking around BF%. BB competitors don't walk around at that BF% all of the time, it's only for the stage. 10-12% is a good walking around % for your age. Too low BF% for prolonged periods of time is unhealthy.

Also, gaining weight and getting shredded are two competing goals and not something you're really going to be able to do at the same time. To put on appreciable muscle mass you will have to eat in a surplus which means you will also gain some fat with the muscle mass. 10-12% is also a good starting point for running a bulk as your bulk can be longer than if you started at a higher BF%. Then at some point you cut...these are bulking and cutting cycles. You bulk to gain weight and put on mass and you cut to lower your BF% back down after a bulk to reveal your new muscles...ie "shredded".

You're also going to need to get on a good hypertrophy program and hit the weight room hard.