30 Day Shred - what weights do you use?

Options
Hey all. As the title says, I was just wondering what weights you all use when doing the 30 Day Shred? I've heard some people saying that they prefer using 3 lb weights and others go with the 5 lb weights. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• 76claire
    76claire Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use 3lb cos my upper body strength is pretty poor. I'd recommend having a variety of weights though, some of the exercises are a killer with 3lb and others are much easier.
  • Healthy_Hannah483
    Healthy_Hannah483 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I use 3lb weights, but when I progress more and get stronger, I plan on switching to 5lb weights.
    I LOVE 30DS!!! :D
  • healthystephie
    Options
    Thanks guys, I might get both then. I started the 30DS months ago without weights but never completed it - I want to do it properly this time!
  • heaverchell
    heaverchell Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I tried starting with 5lbs but it was just to much for now. I currently use the 3lb weights and hope that soon I can up it. Even with 3lbs I feel the burn everytime I do it.
  • wutamunkee
    wutamunkee Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I use 5... but its haaard...
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I use 5 for most of the stuff...but there were some that I would start the first interval with 5 and then go down to 2 (I don't have 3s) ~ i.e. level 2, cheer squat with a v-raise. Uh Mah GOSH. Those kill. Then, in level 1, I used 10s for the chest fly (laying on the floor) and I probably should have increased that a bit since it felt too easy. In level 3 you have to do cardio punching with weights and I use 2 lbs on those still (weak shoulders/upper body) and jumping jacks with weights in the arms. So I think you should consider getting both sets of weights so you can "modify" when necessary.
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I started both the shred and then ripped with 3 lb weights (I was weak when I started!). I'm doing both again with 5lbs. I do keep the 3 lbs close by and use them for some of the cardio moves in the shred. Next is 8 lbs!
  • carrie1128
    Options
    I use 5 for most of the stuff...but there were some that I would start the first interval with 5 and then go down to 2 (I don't have 3s) ~ i.e. level 2, cheer squat with a v-raise. Uh Mah GOSH. Those kill. Then, in level 1, I used 10s for the chest fly (laying on the floor) and I probably should have increased that a bit since it felt too easy. In level 3 you have to do cardio punching with weights and I use 2 lbs on those still (weak shoulders/upper body) and jumping jacks with weights in the arms. So I think you should consider getting both sets of weights so you can "modify" when necessary.
    Good advice. I should get heavier ones for the chest flies since I don't really feel anything with the 5 lbs on that one. And yes, those v-raises/squats are unbelievably painful. I am literally screaming trying to finish them with 5 lbs. LOL.
  • healthystephie
    Options
    Thank you, that's very helpful! I never made it to Level 3 when I did the 30DS before, but I'm feeling quite nervous about it now, ahaha.
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Level 3, in my opinion, is better than level 2.....I hated level 2!!
  • healthystephie
    Options
    I've heard that from a few people actually. I didn't think it was too bad, but then again, I wasn't using weights at the time! It will probably be worse when I do, ahaha.
  • carrie1128
    Options
    I've heard that from a few people actually. I didn't think it was too bad, but then again, I wasn't using weights at the time! It will probably be worse when I do, ahaha.
    Level 3 is easier on the strength but the cardio is much harder (a lot of jumping). I think it depends on where your strengths are if you will find it easier or harder. I think it's all equally painful but in different ways. LOL.
  • monicole
    Options
    You should use the level of weights that you feel the most comfortable with using . Although It seems like you got the hang of it now. Let me know how it goes.