Planet Fitness...

Options
Anybody a member or former member? Any opinions you would like to share? Thanks! My friend is looking to join and I have heard some stories about their policies. Just wondering if anybody has personal experiences they would like to share. I hear its a "judge free gym".

Replies

• gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I've been a member about a year now and haven't had any problems. All shapes, sizes, and ages go there. Can't beat the price per month.
  • LaSweetMini
    LaSweetMini Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It has all the equipment you need but their ways are kind of silly. Free Pizza every Monday night and no scales because they dont believe in weighing in. I go for cardio but if I had boku bucks then I would probably pic a more serious gym.
  • world2c
    world2c Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    We signed up in December, when you could get a whole year for $99. For us, it's fantastic. I'd say as long as you are looking for just cardio and weights, it's a great deal. They don't like it when you drop weights or grunt- which I think is a good thing, and there's people there of all abilities and sizes.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    It is NOT a judge free gym. Their policies are very biased, and irrational.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I belonged to one for about a year.
    It was OK.
    I have belonged to yew York Sports Club for about 8 years, but I also joined Planet Fitness because the $10/month was much cheaper than adding my kid to NYSC.
    You cannot compare the two clubs.
    Most of the cardio machines at Planet Fitness are 2nd rate or used or broken or all three.
    The air conditioning and ventilation at Planet Fitness was rarely on so the place was kind of smelly.
    If you can't afford another club, then try Planet Fitness.
    Also, I know for a fact that the YMCA will let you join and only pay what you can afford.
    Many YMCAs are really nice now, so check out the one in your area.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Agree with Koosdel. It's like as soon as you want to take your workouts to a higher level, they don't support you any more. They cater to staying middle of the road, and there gyms & equipment show it.
  • jennyrider
    Options
    Also, I know for a fact that the YMCA will let you join and only pay what you can afford.
    Many YMCAs are really nice now, so check out the one in your area.

I'm a member of the YMCA & I love it! Her closest YMCA is 30 minutes away and Planet Fitness is like 15.
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Great basic gym at a great price! The locations I've been to all have high-quality machines, they are very clean and the HVAC systems were always working well. Definately not for someone that wants to work with heavy weights, use a pool, sauna, take a Zuma or Spin class, but for $10/month (and I too pay only $99/year) you can't beat them.

The location I frequent is going 24-hours next Monday. Their hours now are great! 5A-11P M-F 8A-9P S/S and most holidays.

I've been a member of Bally's LA, Fitness, various YMCAs, privates and other non-profit gyms and PF does it right. Cheap, clean and they do not tolerate any BS like people blasting music, excessive grunting or yelling while lifting, dew rags or colors, etc....
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It's good for the price, but it does cater to the lowest common denominator, as others have alluded to. I was a member for a couple years. Lots of cardio equipment and plenty of machines. Free weights were lacking, as well as any designated area for stretching and non-machine based strength training. The best workout I get is at one of my local Y's in a big spacious room that has free weights and exercise balls. You don't need a lot to get a great workout.
  • theperfectratio
    theperfectratio Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    seriously...it's like backwards judging, stereotyping any serious lifters as 'lunkheads'. pleeeeaasssee. And free pizza? You've GOTTA question a gym that supports you eating pizza EVERY WEEK while trying to get fit. They clearly don't want people to COMPLETELY succeed at getting in shape for fear of losing customers. :|
  • Christinec8
    Christinec8 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i was employee there for a couple years...it really depends on the city/area the gym is in of whether they fullt enforce those policies. where i worked we enforced them to the fullest and so many members felt comfortable there. there were people of all sizes and fitness levels. they are very helpful with showing how to use equipment and offer free fitness training with the pt to get you started and show you how to use the machines correctly. and it cheap!
  • kristarablue
    Options
    I go and love it, for $10 a month I really have everything that I need. Sure I would love a pool or classes but I can afford $10 so I am good. All equipment at mine is new, works great and is of good quality, I never have had to wait for a piece of cardio equipment even at really busy times. For weights they are fine if for a while, lots of very well built men use the free weights and maintain and build a really nice body. As for judgement totally true, I have never felt bad about going, it is the culture they have created, it is nice, when I was 100 pounds heavier I still did not feel judged because with that price you have people of all shapes and sizes. I am very pleased with the gym, for the money you can not beat it. They do have free personal trainers but they really only show you how to use the machines, however I have such a good relationship with the one at my gym she will show me proper form on free weights or show me additional things outside of what she would typically do. I say go for it, if you grow out of it move on, but for starters I say rock on.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    This. Someone like myself who doesn't act alike a meat head in the gym, still gets judged because of my physique. I went to one in Pennsylvania near Hershey's Park and the first thing they said to me was "You do realize you can't drop weights, grunt, do deadlifts and heavy leg presses here? I was only there to do cardio and some plyometrics.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I go and love it, for $10 a month I really have everything that I need. Sure I would love a pool or classes but I can afford $10 so I am good. All equipment at mine is new, works great and is of good quality, I never have had to wait for a piece of cardio equipment even at really busy times. For weights they are fine if for a while, lots of very well built men use the free weights and maintain and build a really nice body. As for judgement totally true, I have never felt bad about going, it is the culture they have created, it is nice, when I was 100 pounds heavier I still did not feel judged because with that price you have people of all shapes and sizes. I am very pleased with the gym, for the money you can not beat it. They do have free personal trainers but they really only show you how to use the machines, however I have such a good relationship with the one at my gym she will show me proper form on free weights or show me additional things outside of what she would typically do. I say go for it, if you grow out of it move on, but for starters I say rock on.
    Planet Fitness nixed personal trainers according to corporation news.
  • efwolfcub
    efwolfcub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    they're decent enough - especially if you're looking for somewhere cheap and just want to do cardio/basic weights. I also like the fact that they're open 24hrs - at least around here. However, the equipment is on the low end side, the locker rooms are cramped/small (especially if you shower there) and the ventilation is a little less than great. but really, its $10/month.
  • freeeire1916
    Options
    I have been a member of PF for 3 years and I love it. The one I go to is quite large and they have space for stretching, circuit training, TONS of various cardio equipment. Yes, the selection of free weights are somewhat slim but I never have a problem with getting a bench or a piece of equipment (I go mid day and not at rush hr). The staff is helpful and very pleasant but are in no way high level or experienced trainers. With all this said, I have been to two other PF in my region when I was working or at school; neither of them were as nice as the one near me. Also, My buddy is a competitive strong man and he laughs at me when I say I'm going to the gym :-) ....... Clearly this place is not for everyone. One thing I do like is that if you are a black card member ($20/month) you get cheaper drinks and you can bring a guest for no charge; my kids love to come with me when I go. The bottom line is that they are a franchise and they are not all the same. Take a visit to the one near you and decide for yourself. Good luck!!!
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    i actually just took a tour at pf this week.

i love my gym and do not plan on giving that membership up, but there is a pf 5 minutes from my school and i wanted to go on my lunch break. (i used to run at the local track during my lunch break, but i am in a different location and there is no track close enough)

for $10/mo i thought it was a no-brainer, even if i only got to go 2x week.

but, i dont know.... something about the place rubbed me the wrong way, and i said i'd decide and come back....

maybe it was the pizza night?
    bagel morning?
    free unlimited personal training, yet only one trainer?
    the pitch she gave me about it not being like other gyms? (let's be honest, the competition and compliments help me push harder)
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    can't beat $10/mo for a 24hr gym (mines 24hrs)
    that said........in there the judgement is all directed towards me
    luckily I have a work gym where I can chalk up and get loud
    there is no such thing as a "judgement free" gym........human nature
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I'm a cardio & weights kind of gal, so this gym fits my needs and is inexpensive. The equipment at mine are new, not used, not broken and in the 6 months that I've been a member I've never seen the technician fixing any of the equipment. It's great if you're not looking for spinning classes or zumba stuff and you can't beat the price.
  • Akjenn89
    Akjenn89 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Maybe each gym is different..

I personally like it. Someone commented on there not being a designated stretching area, or free weight area. The one I go to has that, so maybe just scope out the gym and ask for a tour before you look at getting a membership? Make sure the gym that's convenient for you, has that. And I've never had any problems with the locker room either.

There isn't a track, but they have plenty of elliptical, bike, and treadmill machines. They also have a 30 minute circuit that is convenient -- Kinda like Curves if you've ever been there, but instead of them being resistant machines, they're actual weight based, so you have to change the weight to whatever suits you best.

I'm a college student, so I can't afford some of the more expensive gyms, and they have the fundamentals in order to get into shape. So it works for me. :)