Hip pain diagnosed as Bursitis

This is a big concern for my sister and I was wondering if anybody had suggestions that she hasn't tried. She's been taking aspirin, Advil, using HempVana and heat/ice. It's getting worse due to the cold coming in now. Her doctor suggested Volteran, which even my dh refused after he read the side affects. And he's pretty much up for anything. My sister detests taking anything but is in such pain that she's willing to try. It's limited her walking, even just up and down stairs.

So I've turned to you all for some help because honestly, I trust you as much as any doctor or medical advice 'out there'. :)
Thank you for any insight you may offer.

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I suffer from hip pain--especially with cold and humidity. I've managed to better my situation with exercise and stretching. I only need an anti-inflamatory a couple times a month during the winter if I have a flare-up.

She should definitely see her doctor and try to get some physiotherapy, so she can learn what movements to do.

I start early in the morning and have a routine all built up. I'm stiff and achy when I get up. I put on my exercise duds and head for the LR. Turn on the News. I started many years ago with a Jane Fonda workout book. It is light calestenics and stretching. Then I discovered light yoga. I put an old quilt down and do a few simple moves--especially grabbing my knees while on my back and rotating them in circles, alternating directions. Everything should be done slowly. I've found that you need to work and loosen up everything, not just the hips. After over an hour, I'm good to go. I do this 2-3 times a week. Then I swim 2x a week, acquagym 2x a week, Power-walking in the park 3x a week, Yogaflex class 1x a week, and Tai chi class 1x a week.

All this movement keeps me limber and makes it easier to do everything else. It does take time, sigh, old age is what it is. Your sister may not be able to do many movements. I have AO, and have slowed it's advance.

I hope she finds the solution for her. Pain is no fun. I prefer to not depend on meds. Good luck.
  • Deanner03
    Deanner03 Posts: 371 Member
    Has she had an MRI to confirm that diagnosis?

The reason I ask is that I was diagnosed with bursitis and minor arthritis in one hip with an x-ray. After 3 months of NSAIDs and some PT, no improvement. The Dr tried cortisone injections which worked for about 3 months but were causing spontaneous bleeding on my arms and neck, and I was sent back to PT

After a particularly bad PT day when I was literally in tears, the therapist said I needed an MRI because I shouldn't have pain like that.

Doc said it was unecessary and game me another injection which lasted only 2 weeksI switched doctors, and 4 months later, after insurance denied it 3 times I finally had the MRI which reveal a substantial labrum tear and also much more extensive arthritis than the old Dr saw on the x-ray.

That was 5 months ago, and I'm getting a new hip for Christmas-- 28 months after my first Dr consult..

Unfortunately, I can't offer much for pain relief. The cortisone injections did some good and some people have relief for up to 6 months. PT for stretching and strengthening did me the most good, but I still experience pain every day. Since I can't do antiinflammatories at all any more without the bleeding problems, I just deal with it the best I can. Some days are better than others, and December 10 can't get here soon enough.

I agree with this 100%. I was told I had bursitis as well. I had old hardware in my hip from a slipped epiphysis as a child. They did a CT with contrast (because my hardware made artifact on MRI) and they found a completely deteriorated labrum, and a flattened femoral head due to arthritis along with a misalignment (dysplasia) that was worse than they’d thought based on the x-ray. I had a replacement in 2015. Best thing I ever did.

@rosebarnalice it’ll change your life.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    I totally agree with making sure that the diagnosis is correct.

I have hip dysplasia, torn labrums, etc, but I also have trochanteric bursitis. My bursitis is caused by chronic UT band problems. So PT to manage the IT band has been crucial for maintaining my ability to walk. Also, I have had great success with prolotherapy injections in the bursitis region.

Some people get no results from prolo, others get great results. Note, regenerative injections like prolo, PRP, PRF, etc, are very different from anti-inflammatory steroid injections like cortisone. I personally always refuse cortisone.
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 487 Member
    Diagnosed with hip bursitis not long ago and to begin Dr. suggested Advil and ice and PT. Started PT which has made all the difference as I'm working on not just the hip, but strengthening quads, hamstrings. Helping not just my hip but knees and back. Gentle yoga helps too. Dr. said if all this doesn't help he'll do a cortisone shot which I had years ago for a hip bursitis (not this side) and it helped immediately.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    I had hip pain for a while. I forget the diagnosis, but it wasn't bursitis. It went away in a few months with physical therapy exercises (which I still do to this day - I'm good like that) and massage twice per month.

Am I remembering correctly that your sister is a caretaker for her husband? I always recommend massage for caretakers. They need and deserve care too!

Here's what the Mayo Clinic recommends for bursitis treatment:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/bursitis/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20353247
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I’m curious how this was diagnosed. If the pain has been persistent for months and NSAIDs haven’t helped then an MRI and Orthopedic referral are warranted. Physical Therapy might be a good idea too.

*Physician Assistant here*
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member
    I had greater trochanteric bursitis (hip bursitis, there is more than one kind). I had all of the symptoms to a 'T', at least according to my internet search, lol! Physical Therapy is recommended for this and that's what I had. PT worked great and all my pain is gone. It took several months (3-4?), though, to get it to go away fully. I still do the exercises in my daily exercise routine because I sure don't want this to come back, as it greatly disrupted my sleep due to the pain. My doctor diagnosed this with what I told her, but she also moved my leg around and could feel the tightness of the IT band. Possibly of note for your sister, I was not aware of increasing pain due to temperature. Hopefully, some of this information is helpful.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I’m curious how this was diagnosed. If the pain has been persistent for months and NSAIDs haven’t helped then an MRI and Orthopedic referral are warranted. Physical Therapy might be a good idea too.

She had it awhile back and it went away, for the most part. Then it came back with a vengeance as the weather has turned, which has only been a couple of weeks at most. Plus my sister is very inconsistent with taking anything because she detests any kind of pills. She was diagnosed when she had pain the first time and her doctor manipulated the area my sister was complaining about and from that alone, the dr. made the call.

Thank you everybody! I'll make a list of some of these things you've all brought up and see what she says. I wish she'd go back to the dr. and get a referral for an MRI so she'd know for sure what it is. She hurt her back last winter and it took a very long time for that to feel better. I'm wondering if somehow she didn't further injure something else. :(
    @kshama2001 She was a caretaker for her dh; he died in February. But I'm sure rolling him over, lifting his weight by herself at times, didn't help. :( Plus sleeping for months on the couch.

• nooshi713
    I had greater trochanteric bursitis (hip bursitis, there is more than one kind). I had all of the symptoms to a 'T', at least according to my internet search, lol! Physical Therapy is recommended for this and that's what I had. PT worked great and all my pain is gone. It took several months (3-4?), though, to get it to go away fully. I still do the exercises in my daily exercise routine because I sure don't want this to come back, as it greatly disrupted my sleep due to the pain. My doctor diagnosed this with what I told her, but she also moved my leg around and could feel the tightness of the IT band. Possibly of note for your sister, I was not aware of increasing pain due to temperature. Hopefully, some of this information is helpful.

Physical Therapy is amazing! More people should try it.
  • nooshi713
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

She had it awhile back and it went away, for the most part. Then it came back with a vengeance as the weather has turned, which has only been a couple of weeks at most. Plus my sister is very inconsistent with taking anything because she detests any kind of pills. She was diagnosed when she had pain the first time and her doctor manipulated the area my sister was complaining about and from that alone, the dr. made the call.

Thank you everybody! I'll make a list of some of these things you've all brought up and see what she says. I wish she'd go back to the dr. and get a referral for an MRI so she'd know for sure what it is. She hurt her back last winter and it took a very long time for that to feel better. I'm wondering if somehow she didn't further injure something else. :(
    @kshama2001 She was a caretaker for her dh; he died in February. But I'm sure rolling him over, lifting his weight by herself at times, didn't help. :( Plus sleeping for months on the couch.

Has she tried PT? I understand some people don’t like taking medication. She really needs to be sure of her diagnosis imo.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Yes, I have heard of heart problems due to the use of Voltaren. Also, be very careful mixing aspirin and other NSAIIDs together; you really must be careful, or avoid doing so altogether. Talk again with your doctor and let him know how much and what drugs and how often you are taking them You don't want to creat additional health problems for yourself. I had bursitis in my left htp and got one cortisone injection. That was years and years ago, and that resolved it. How? I really don't know, but the pain has never returned. Take advantage of all diagnostic tools to determine exactly what the problem is. And good luck! I hope you find a safe way to be as pain-free as possible.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    this works really well. i use it for other things besides knees (like bursitis in my hip and back pain) and usually after 3 days once per day the pain is gone. she will need a prescription and her dr may not give it since its not for its intended use.
    https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-153886-1586/pennsaid-topical/diclofenac-solution-pump-topical/details

she could also try CBD oil (orally) or a topical THC cream (or oral drops if she is ok with taking TCH).
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member

Physical Therapy is amazing! More people should try it.

I always say "If you're active, you could probably benefit from PT. If you're inactive, you could probably really benefit from PT."
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

This is just anecdotal, from personal experience with similar stories by friends, not scientifically supported by evidence I can offer: Having pain in one body region can lead to compensation, i.e., changes in posture or habits to minimize or work around the pain. Compensation results in imbalanced use of the body, which can become habitual. Imbalanced use of the body, in turn, can cause pain in other body regions.

As others have said, PT and manipulation (I like an osteopath) can help, as can massage (from a credentialed massage therapist, not just relaxation massage), and in some cases just cautious exercise/strengthening. There are several types of discomfort/pain, some lasting multiple years, that seem now to be in my past (thankfully) by combinations of these interventions . . . none of which are medications, though some are medical.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,248 Member
    Since bursitis is helped by heat, I would recommend any warm clothing she can tolerate.
    A couple good quality long underwears, layered, at the very least. A silk layer with a cotton weave layer over that.
    Keep that joint warm.
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    I know this might be over simplifying... I have had 2 episodes of bursitis in my entire life. They both happened in 2014, six month apart. I took NSAIDs both times. The eyeopener is that I was wearing the same pair of running shoes both times. They were expensive shoes. The first time was after a 5k and the second time was after a six-day, all day, seminar. I gave the shoes to my sister who had no issues with them, whatsoever. I told her about the bursitis. For me, it was as simple as changing my brand of shoes😉. I am even more active now, and have never had another episode.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    I've been dogged by hip bursitis for many years, quite debilitating the first couple of years until I got it under control. The caveat here is that each person is different, so you really have to get a custom plan from your doc. With that said, things that really helped me turn it around are:

- physical therapy - does 10 x the good of anything else and for me was the thing that turned this around.
    - keeping the area warm. Cold was very bad for my bursitis. Heating pads were very helpful.
    - not excessively working out that area. Unlike arthritis, which can sometimes be helped by working through it and loosening up and strengthening surrounding muscles, it's easy for bursa to get *more* irritated if overworked.
    - good pair of shoes that fit perfectly and was suited for purpose

aspirin and NSAIDs didn't help much and I am not a fan of Voltaren. Cortasone shots work but are too short lived to be considered a solution.
  • Christy_1988
    Christy_1988 Posts: 3 Member
    I can truly feel the intensity of your problem. My sister has dealt with the same issue, wherein she felt relief with the treatment but pain comes back with all its might the day treatment gets stopped. She then consulted a registered massage therapist who's treatment was finally worth it. She is completely satisfied with the treatment. In my opinion, it would be apt if you consult a registered massage therapist. I believe it would definitely cure you!
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    I had a steroid pushed into my bursa with a needle. Hurt like hell, could barely walk the rest of the day, but fixed it right up.