Your Limit

Options
I try to track as best I can .. Do you all eat all your calories and just get as close as you can to your limits ....

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    MFP gives you a goal, not a 'limit'. I've always eaten all of my calories, on average anyway (some days over, some days under) while losing 70lbs.

Whether or not MFP's number is correct for you, time will tell: follow the goal for at least a month and then adjust, eat less if losing more slowly than the rate you selected, eat more if losing more quickly than selected.
  • kenziestabes
    kenziestabes Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Personal habit here, once again, doctor's advice overrules: I give myself a range of calories. The limit I set on MFP is the upper end of that range, and there's usually about a 200 calories gap in that range. If I'm in that range, great!

I need to eat at least x calories, but I don't want to eat more than y calories. On days where I work out, I want to be as close to y calories as possible, even if it means going a little over. Under no circumstances to I go below x calories.

As for what x and y are, the general consensus I've heard is that between 0.5-1% of your body weight per week is sustainable for weight loss. So I try to calculate my caloric intake for 0.5% weight loss and 1% weight loss and make those my bounds. If I'm lazy, I tell myself I have to eat above my BMR but below my maintenance.

I, personally, find using the range approach helpful. It gives room for variety of food and experience, and it helps me from falling into the pitfalls of eating too little to lose weight faster or eating too much because I got snacky.
  • Frankiesgirl52
    Frankiesgirl52 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone ... Really good advice ... I appreciate it
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    The calorie goal on MFP isn't a 'limit'....it's a 'goal'. That's the case generally speaking when you are shooting for a calorie amount per day --- it's a goal. Eat at least that much. MFP (if this is what you used to calculate your calorie goal - and stated you wanted to lose weight) already figures in a deficit so there's no need to be eating UNDER that goal.

When I started I logged (weighed and measured) everything religiously. It was good practice to even just get an idea of what I was eating. Now I sort of only spot log --- and then it's more to make sure I'm eating enough.

I'm maintaining now --- and yes, if I do/log a cardio workout I eat all of those calories back. More or less...like I said I'm not really logging religiously now. I don't want to fall into a habit of being obsessed with calorie counting. I weigh myself once ~2-3 weeks and as long as I stay within a +/- 5lb range I'm good.