third time to lose weight ?

Options
saynow111
saynow111 Posts: 125 Member
edited November 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
hi
when i was 20 y o the first time to lose weight (about 35 kgs lost)
but after that i got illness that make me unable to maintain weight
that lead me to gain all the weight i lost again
then when i was 29 y old i lost weight again about (20 -22 kg )
then gain them again in matter of months
then these days(i m 31 y o ) i lost 11 kgs in a matter 5 months
is there a good way to not gain weight !!!!!
any good way stop all my suffer with gaining weight again !!!!
i wanna be good status !!!
thank you everybody
you are who helped me along my journey
thank you for everyone helped me

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    What illness did you have that prevented you from maintaining weight if I may ask?
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Well, you have proven to yourself that you know what it takes to lose and get down to maintenance. I suggest going to the Maintain Weight message board and read all you can from those that have made it. Also, know what your maintenance calories should be. You can find that out by typing in Calorie Calculator in Google and enter your stats. Once you have that number, you stay on MFP or some other type of food diary site, and input your meals. When you hit that number, you stop eating until the next day.

Now that is all physical. Mentally, you need to figure out what triggers your overeating. If you have your mental illness under control, then just do your best to stay within your maintenance calories. When you feel the need to overeat, do it. Just go for it. Don't make food your enemy. We need to food to sustain life. So go ahead and overindulge. Just know, that after, RIGHT AFTER, you will go back to maintenance. Your body will adjust. Don't ever think that just because you overdid it, you have failed. You did not fail. You just took a break. We all need breaks. Breaks are good. Just as long as we get back to it right after. Good luck!!!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Most people regain the weight they lost because they go back to the eating and exercise habits they had before they lost the weight. They think of themselves as either 'on a diet' or 'off the diet'. They restrict their eating, sometimes too much, to lose weight, then go back to eating whatever they want, whenever they want, once they reach their goal. If you want to maintain your weight loss, you have to understand that you can never go back to the way you were eating before, not entirely.

From being on MFP, you know that losing weight is a balancing act between calories in and calories out. That doesn't change when you have lost a lot of weight. You still need to know how many calories you are eating and how many you are burning by exercise. Some people maintain weight loss by continuing to log their calories and exercise. That has worked well for me. Some do all right by developing new habits during their weight loss journey that they can maintain over the long term, like exercising daily, eating lots of fruit and vegetables, limiting sweets or high calorie drinks etc. It helps to weigh yourself often so you know whether what you are doing is working. It is very easy to lie to ourselves about how much we are eating, but the scale will show you the truth. Many of us who are maintaining try to keep our weight within 5 lbs. of goal. As soon as we get above 5 lbs. we go back to basics and restrict treats or meals out or whatever it is that is causing the weight gain. FWIW, I have maintained a 55 lb. weight loss for about 7 years.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Lost and gained many times. After a 10% cut in 2017, I have mostly been able to keep it off. For a year after that loss, I logged everything I ate at maintenance level. I learned more about eating from doing that than I learned from losing weight.

Also, I have gone on several mini-cuts whenever I'm 5lbs over my goal weight. Basically, you may have periods where you over-eat and gain some weight (e.g., thanksgiving week), but the sooner you address it, the easier it is to drop the weight back off. If you like to have some extra capacity over the weekend, then you need to cut back during the week. It's kind of like the ups and downs haven't gone away, they've just gotten shorter.

Best of luck!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    the only way to not gain weight is to not overeat.

you know how to lose weight, obviously, you need to learn how to maintain that weight loss even when life is sh!tty. because it gets that way for ALL of us, and I say that as someone who struggles with anxiety and depression, so I'm not just blowing smoke out of my rear end...

Maintaining is a whole different ballgame than losing, and add mental health struggles on TOP of that, and it can be exponentially harder. Proper medications, therapy, staying on BOTH, thresholds for weight gain (and going over a certain number kicking you into gear)... it's tough my friend.

I've been there and I wish I had some.... sage words of wisdom, but all of this has to come from you. Truly, getting your mental health in check and in control, is the key in this situation. Without that, everything else, will unravel.

Best of luck (((hugs)))